Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Massad Ayoob-- "unjustly ignored"

Spyderco Forum Registered User BlackNinja's Avatar

Massad Ayoob-- "unjustly ignored"

JDSpydo got me thinking on his post "unjustly ignored s". The "Massad Ayoob" was one of those I named, to which the reply was, "It was ahead of it's time."
    IMO, that's an understatement! This knife is GREAT for SD situations. It's ergonomics are, IMO, near perfect! ie: When I hold it in any SD grip, it is nearly impossible for me to disengage the lock. The blade is a direct extension of my arm, and made from high quality VG-10 steel. ie: The blade placement of lets say, a Police and an Ayoob are totaly different. holding a Police (or most models) the blade will naturally point at a 45 degree angle from your hand. With the Ayoob, it's naturally a direct extension of your forearm, so you are striking or slicing more naturally than with a conventional folder, in which you have to manipulate your wrist to get what you already have with the Ayoob! Imagine adding 4 or 5 inches of pure slicing to the end of your hand! It's not really a utility folder, it's a SD folder, and it's way before it's time. Like JDSpydo, I like the SE as much (actually more) than the PE. It truly is an "unjustly ignored ."
    Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh;
    Let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones;
    Let him fracture your bones and you take his life!
    -Bruce Lee-
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

-Joe

Spyderco Forum Registered User DAYWALKER's Avatar
    Aloha BlackNinja,

Long time no see my friend! Say, this model always intrigued me...reminded me of a folding Szabo UUK...can it be held reverse grip edge in?

Enjoy that Ayoob...and have a Happy Holidays and as always...

God bless
    Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife!

In Constant Motion: www.clbdesign.info

Quote Originally Posted by DAYWALKER
    Aloha BlackNinja,

Long time no see my friend! Say, this model always intrigued me...reminded me of a folding Szabo UUK...can it be held reverse grip edge in?

Enjoy that Ayoob...and have a Happy Holidays and as always...

God bless
    Hey DAYWALKER,

Nice to see ya, it has been awhile!

To answer your question, No, thats probably not really a good grip for that knife, IMO. The blade is way too close to my wrist.

Happy Holidays, Chad!

Regards,
    Joe
    -Bruce Lee-

-Joe

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Cool A Well taught disciple

Well Blackninja all I can say is that you caught on to that Ayoob even quicker than I did. But when you do see the full scope of what you can do with a Massad Ayoob especially in a self defense situation. I do prefer the SE version in a SD situation. Plus the Ayoob takes a lanyard really well. That knife is a masterpiece of versatility. A salute to the man himself>> Massad Ayoob. Thumbs UP guy!!!
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Stevie Ray's Avatar
    I don't know about unjustly ignored when it comes to an Ayoob these days. They go for a pretty penny when you can find one.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Ray
    I don't know about unjustly ignored when it comes to an Ayoob these days. They go for a pretty penny when you can find one.
    Thats true but, I read much more on other models that don't deserve the recognition that the Ayoob does, IMO.
    -Bruce Lee-

-Joe

Spyderco Forum Registered User Stevie Ray's Avatar
    I wonder how many of these sold when it was in production. I did manage to find a couple of them over time, but ... it took a LONG time .. Seems like I managed to snag a SE back in 03 and finally bagged a PE late last year.

It really is a great design and from Mr. Combat Handgun, no less. I remember reading Ayoob's Combat Handgun articles back in the 80's. He's been around awhile.
    Last edited by Stevie Ray; 12-23-2005 at 03:22 AM.
    Steve

Spyderco Forum Registered User TheKnifeCollector's Avatar
    I agree with you 100% about the Maasad Ayoob knife!! It IS perfect for SD. I used to have one, and I sold it, to buy other knives. Anyway, I digress..... It WAS totally like an extesion of my arm,awesome, awesome knife!

Massad's knife was a very sophisticated design. Massad himself took early protos to packing plants to "test" them extensively. Many mods were made before a design was finalized.

Quality and design, materials and fit & finish were all there. It's just a smaller market than we could maintain, so it went into retirement.

It might make an interesting "sprint" in the future. I think I'd go with a grippier material than micarta. Joyce carries hers quite a bit.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User Mr Blonde's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sal
    It might make an interesting "sprint" in the future. I think I'd go with a grippier material than micarta. Joyce carries hers quite a bit.

sal
    I hope so, the smooth handle material was a 'deal breaker' for me. Bright purple G10 on the other hand, would be a 'deal maker'.

Wouter

Last update: 03-21-2014 - WTC 2507 - Twitter

Spyderco Forum Registered User Simon G's Avatar
    .....I think I'd go with a grippier material than micarta.
    sal
    Did I miss something here? My Ayoob is G10 Aluminium, is there a micarta version?

God bless,

Simon.
    "From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36

Arrow Different twist

Massad's knife was a very sophisticated design. Massad himself took early protos to packing plants to "test" them extensively. Many mods were made before a design was finalized.

Quality and design, materials and fit & finish were all there. It's just a smaller market than we could maintain, so it went into retirement.

sal
    Mr. Glesser a sprint run of the Ayoob would be stellar. I think that one made with G-10 and to put a Spyder medallion like you all did with the Vesuvius. Also if a sprint run were done I think it would be an excellent candidate for ZDP-189, or any other exotic steel that might not have ever graced a Spyderco knife. A poll could be taken on the color and so forth. I think that would be a splendid idea. I bet I'm not alone on that one either
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User mikewww's Avatar
    Constantia, Cape Town, South Africa, Earth
    As I mentioned in another thread, I think the problem with this knife is its name. Yes, the gun and knife knuts know who and what Mr Ayoob is, but Joe Public does not. To them the name is a little, er, bizarre ? Maybe a "Defender" or a "Backup" would have appealed more to the public, who, after all, buy the majority of knives. We knuts buy only a small percentage of them.

Sorry Simon, my bad.

Early protos were micarta.

I believe your model is almite over bead blasted aluminum?

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User Simon G's Avatar
    Sal,

Thanks. It looks like we both had typo's!

Mine is Almite, the G10 bit is a "wish"!!

Simon.
    "From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36