Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Endura Steel?

Spyderco Forum Registered User ToAsTy's Avatar

Endura Steel?

I just got my 1st Spyderco, I am switching from carring benchmades. I thought the ENDURA looked like a good everyday knife for a good price. The ENDURA I recieved has the AUG-8 blade. I was just wondering if anyone knows when they changed from AUG-8 to VG-10?. Like I said Im new to Spyderco, how noticable is the difference between these steels? Do you guys think I should maybe try a different knife and/or steel for my everyday pocket carry?
    Last edited by ToAsTy; 12-11-2005 at 10:44 PM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User spydutch's Avatar
    Welcome ToAsty
    Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal)

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge

Thanks for making me the Avatar, Dialex

Spyderco Forum Registered User smcfalls13's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum.

AUS-8 is an excellent steel, and will hold up well. Easy to sharpen, and holds a decent edge. It's a really good working steel, nothing overly fancy, but still utilitarian.

VG-10 is better, but you'll pay for it.

Not sure when the changeover was, but I'm sure one of the veterans here will be able to tell you.

I think the Endura is a great EDC knife, try it for a week, and see if you like it. If not come back here, read a few threads, and see if any of the knives discussed sound like something you'd like.

Feel free to ask questions
    Scott

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
    -Sir Winston Churchill-

Spyderco Forum Registered User ghostrider's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum. Scott put things very well.
    First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller
    Thread for tying tips:
    http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! - Axlis

Welcome to the Addiction
    they will take over your pockets

Spyderco Forum Registered User ront's Avatar
    Oh ya, once he starts reading, he will find others that he just has to have .

Ron

Spyderco Forum Registered User snuffaluff's Avatar
    I carried my Endura for 5+yrs and never had a problem with it. Keeps a good edge and takes well to sharpening too. The only problem I had with mine was the barrel clip and the way the actual clip sits into the FRN handle(I really wish I had pics, but wasn't part of this forum when it happened, and got it fixed). Other than that, it's a great knife for everyday carry and I'd recommend it.

edited to add: I used this knife everyday, not just carried. Worked in a warehouse among other uses.
    Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Spyderco Forum Registered User vampyrewolf's Avatar
    98 they went to ats-55, 02 they went to vg-10.... unless my brain is fried.

I love my ats-55/se frn endura. carried left/front pocket until I rotated the clip out, then got leather made for it. Carries even better now, canted carry on my belt, left side tip down.
    Coffee before Conciousness
    Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
    Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.

hey, thanks for the welcome and info guys. I am thinking about gettin the Native III already.. not only does it have the VG-10 steel but looks like a more comfortable size for everyday carry. Im still shopping around for the perfect one for my front pocket, but Im liking all the options that Spyderco has.

Spyderco Forum Registered User raven's Avatar
    ToAsTy, Welcome and enjoy your stay. This is only the "Beginning", once you start, you can't stop. By the way, Native III? Good choice.

God Bless

-raven-
    ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.

Quote Originally Posted by raven
    ToAsTy, Welcome and enjoy your stay. This is only the "Beginning", once you start, you can't stop. By the way, Native III? Good choice.

God Bless

-raven-
    TY. Yah the Endura is nice and all for the price but still a little to big for my hand. The Native III looked like a comfortable knife with a very strong steel. I am on a limited budget and both knifes were at a great price for what I got. I dont see myself going back to Benchmade.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Hi ToAsTy,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum and thaqnx for the interest.

It's probably been 8 or so years since we used AUS-8 (8A)in the Endura, as Wolf mentioned, '98, ATS-55, '02 to VG-10.

sal

Quote Originally Posted by sal
    Hi ToAsTy,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum and thaqnx for the interest.

It's probably been 8 or so years since we used AUS-8 (8A)in the Endura, as Wolf mentioned, '98, ATS-55, '02 to VG-10.

sal
    Thanks for all your info guys!! Everyone here has been very nice and helpfull. Im sure I will have more questions for you guys in to future. Now I am looking forward to it

Spyderco Forum Registered User vampyrewolf's Avatar
    now thats a miracle, my brain isn't fried yet from school and sickness.

If you're looking for affordable spydies, check out the Delica, Dragonfly, Cricket, Native I(now in s30V), Polywog, and Kopa.

Also, have a look at the byrd line, not bad for a work knife. I have my Pelican in with my tools at school, not too concerned if it gets dinged up.
    Coffee before Conciousness
    Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
    Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Michael Cook's Avatar

Thumbs up welcome to the spyder forums!

Hey ToasTy, in case you didn't notice "Sal" is the owner and president of the company. How's that for hands on?
    More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cook
    Hey ToasTy, in case you didn't notice "Sal" is the owner and president of the company. How's that for hands on?
    lol yah I figured when he said "we" he was part of the company. That is cool though, it is nice knowing that a company gives what the customers want. Making the loyal fans happy is very important. All though I am new to the forum and might not have as many knives or knowledge about them as most of you. I have been welcomed with open arms and even greeted by the owner. Which translates to 1 more mouth to tell all his knife loving friends to switch to Spyderco.

Now if you guys could tell me where I can get a CALYPSO Jr. for cheap then I really couldnt get any happier with my experiance here

Spyderco Forum Registered User Michael Cook's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ToAsTy
    Now if you guys could tell me where I can get a CALYPSO Jr. for cheap then I really couldnt get any happier with my experiance here
    The only non-auction site that I know of having any left are here http://www.johnfjensen.com/acatalog/...derco%20Knives
    spyder edge only so you might want to hold out for a grey frn plain edged one. (not to poo-poo spyder-edge, of course! )
    More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cook
    The only non-auction site that I know of having any left are here http://www.johnfjensen.com/acatalog/...derco%20Knives
    spyder edge only so you might want to hold out for a grey frn plain edged one. (not to poo-poo spyder-edge, of course! )
    Thanks but yah i do want the plain edge like 95% of my knives are mostly SE. Now that I just looked at the new catalog, I think Ill just wait for the manix 80MM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User d.g.g's Avatar
    Glad you joined the club.

Both are good steels. Cut the heck out of the one you have then buy another later when the first one is worn out. I'm betting it will be quite a while before you buy another. Spyderco doesn't make any "junk".

Spyderco Forum Registered User Simple Man's Avatar
    I have been carrying a SS AUS-6 Endura for a month or so now and I have not had a significant enough difference in edge holding compared to S30V to make me want to go back to my Millie, EDC of 2 1/2 yrs.
    Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal