Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bye bye Kiwi, jigged

Spyderco Forum Registered User zenheretic's Avatar
    I've noted the Deacon's avatar has gone black. I have to assume the period of mourning has begun.
    Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Slvgx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zenheretic
    I've noted the Deacon's avatar has gone black. I have to assume the period of mourning has begun.
    Yeah, I think it didn't quite hit Paul yet, and now the gloaming has begun!

Well, if it is any consolation he did mention the news of the Caly 3, not much consolation, but it will be bolstered and I know how you enjoy bolstered knives Paul!
    ASA NISI MASA

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    We have a Kiwi for '06 with a red bone scale. We'll probably make a run or two. The Stainless version will hang around for at least '06.

The jigged bone was a nice piece and will serve for many years. Nothing lasts forever.

I've seen a pic of Deacon's dino-bone piece. My wife, Gail, has a dino-bone Kiwi. Santa Fe Stoneworks does some nice pieces as well. It's a fairly unique design. Ultimately it's you that drives the product line.

sal

-------------------------------------------------------------

The entire "business chain" from; raw materials, manufacturing, marketing, selling, distributing, shipping, warrantees, insurance, credit, etc. ALL EXISTS to service the ELU (End Line User). Remove the ELU from the equation and the entire business chain falls like a house of cards. We all work for you!

Spyderco Forum Registered User spydutch's Avatar
    Gone then, is my hope for a jigged bone Kiwi .

Darn budget and so much knives that I want
    Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal)

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge

Thanks for making me the Avatar, Dialex

Spyderco Forum Registered User Mr Blonde's Avatar
    The red bone Kiwi is very striking! I like it much better than jigged bone. I always thought that material is for elderly German hunting guys.

Nice to know up front that the red bone kiwi may only see a couple of runs, better stock up on those. And better add a couple of SS Kiwis in '06 to make sure I have enough for my lifetime.

Wouter

Last update: 03-21-2014 - WTC 2507 - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by sal
    We have a Kiwi for '06 with a red bone scale. We'll probably make a run or two. The Stainless version will hang around for at least '06.
    The jigged bone was a nice piece and will serve for many years. Nothing lasts forever.
    I've seen a pic of Deacon's dino-bone piece. My wife, Gail, has a dino-bone Kiwi. Santa Fe Stoneworks does some nice pieces as well. It's a fairly unique design. Ultimately it's you that drives the product line.
    sal
    I've been buying the Kopas to fill my gent's folder needs, however with a page out of the Deacon's play book, I find the Boye dent a rather superfluous addition in this knife. Of course, I don't research the issues like the but I can't imagine the need for a dent in a little gent's blade, even a micro tank like the Kopa...
    Last edited by zenheretic; 12-05-2005 at 02:14 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar

sal

The entire "business chain" from; raw materials, manufacturing, marketing, selling, distributing, shipping, warrantees, insurance, credit, etc. ALL EXISTS to service the ELU (End Line User). Remove the ELU from the equation and the entire business chain falls like a house of cards. We all work for you!
    Sal, must start by saying thanks for producing the Kiwi, and keeping the jigged bone one around for as long as you did. It was a bold and brave thing to do, especially in light of your prior experiences with bolster and scales models. Did order a couple more to add to my stockpile when I heard the news that it was being retired.

I am, of course, exicted by the news of the red bone version, and, as you might expect, curious as to how it will look. I have to claim a degree of ignorance here, or at least a degree of uncertainty. After reading you post, I tried to find out what "red bone" looks like. I found picutures of a number of knives described as having "red bone" scales. The problem is, there was no consistent "look" to them. Some looked remarkably similar to amber jigged bone. Others looked like bone with a "wash" of red paint, some jigged, some plain. One or two just looked like brownish bone. Trying to get an idea of what Spyderco's version of it might look like.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Question Red Coral Kiwi

sal

Mr. Glesser this weekend a collector friend of mine showed me a Red Coral C-75 Kiwi. Is this the same knife that you are referring to that you call the "red bone scale" Kiwi? I take it that it is a Special edition--limited run?
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Wow I made the same kiwi announcement over on bladeforums and not one person responded; a very unappreciated model.