Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there no Damascus Justice?

Spyderco Forum Registered User zenheretic's Avatar

Is there no Damascus Justice?

I just discoverd Boker makes a Damascus kitchen knife...I'm not sure why but it exists...yet we spyderholics can't even have a damascus Calypso or Calypso Jr. Is there no justice in the world?
    Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

Spyderco Forum Registered User DAYWALKER's Avatar
    Aloha zenheretic,

LOL, no worries my friend...we do have Ed Schempp ya know!

God bless
    Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife!

In Constant Motion: www.clbdesign.info

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    I've been banging the drum for a stainless damascus for quite a while now and have no intention of giving up. Have a left handed "One Eyed Jack" with a Devin Thomas stainless damascus blade on order from A.T. Barr. Thinking that, for a production knife, Damasteel stainless damascus would be the way to go. Having just received an 80mm Manix, my "modest proposal" would be a short run of them, with Hakkapelitta, Rose, or Odin's Eye stainless Damasteel blade, titanium liners, and stabilized wood scales. Might look something like this quick-and-dirty "photoshop" job...

Odin's Eye Damasteel, and stabilized Juniper Burl
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Aloha Deac',

Whoa! That's like..."70's psychadelic!" CooooooL! Is it a procurer's knife?

God bless and take care my friend

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife!

Quote Originally Posted by DAYWALKER
    Aloha Deac',

Whoa! That's like..."70's psychadelic!" CooooooL! Is it a procurer's knife?

God bless and take care my friend
    Noooo, but it may become a procured one. Am giving serious thought to finding someone to customize one for me out of a standard 80mm Manix. Replace the blade and scales, re-use the rest.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki

Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon
    Noooo, but it may become a procured one. Am giving serious thought to finding someone to customize one for me out of a standard 80mm Manix. Replace the blade and scales, re-use the rest.
    Hey Paul,

LOL! Sorry, I couldn't resist the procurer thing. BTW, have ya given the Manix 80mm pocket carry in the clipless manner? How's the weight of this "lil' big guy"?

God bless

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    We just received samples of Damasteel which we will use for testing with different makers as well as Golden.

sal

Arrow Stainless Damascus

I agree with Deacon that the "Stainless Damascus" would be the way to go. Pardon my lack of knowledge but I don't know if Damasteel is a stainless Damascus but I assume it is. I would love to see a fixed blade with Damascus.
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User zenheretic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sal
    We just received samples of Damasteel which we will use for testing with different makers as well as Golden.

sal
    Picture of Snoopy doing happy dance insert here ->
    Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

Quote Originally Posted by JD Spydo
    I agree with Deacon that the "Stainless Damascus" would be the way to go. Pardon my lack of knowledge but I don't know if Damasteel is a stainless Damascus but I assume it is. I would love to see a fixed blade with Damascus.
    JD, most damascus steel today is hand made by folks like Ed Schempp, Devin Thomas, Tim Zowada, and Mike Norris. They all make beautiful steel, but their production is generally very limited. Damasteel is a commercially produced damascus, giving it the advantage of greater, and more consistent, availability. It is manufactured in Sweden, and Michael Walker is the US representative for it. Like the hand made stuff, it comes in both stainless and non-stainless varieties. The three patterns I named, and several others, are stainless. From my (very) limited understanding of it, unlike conventional damascus, where two or more types of steel are welded and folded together, Damasteel, like CPMS30V is made from powdered steel, with two or more different powders arranged something like a sand painting.

sal
    If you feel strange vibrations from the ground, it's me doing my happy dance.
    Last edited by The Deacon; 11-06-2005 at 07:07 AM.
    Paul

Spyderco Forum Registered User idj's Avatar

sal
    That's terrific, Sal! I just love damascus steel, and a damascus Spydie of some variety would be really wonderful. God bless!
    Regards,
    idj
    (official forum loud-mouthed schnook!)
    "If you cut us, do we not bleed?" - Mr. Croup

Spyderco Forum Registered User Piet.S's Avatar
    Damasteel consists of RWL-34 and PMC-27. Both are powdersteel variants of two steels we know. Those are ATS-34 and 12C27 (Sandvik). Both stainless. The Damasteel company also sells RWL-34 as a monosteel, which is quite popular overhere with amateur knifemakers and a non hardenable variant damascus for juwelry and the like. Made of 304 and 316.

As for the news.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Axlis's Avatar
    I've been banging the drum for a stainless damascus for quite a while now and have no intention of giving up. Have a left handed "One Eyed Jack" with a Devin Thomas stainless damascus blade on order from A.T. Barr. Thinking that, for a production knife, Damasteel stainless damascus would be the way to go. Having just received an 80mm Manix, my "modest proposal" would be a short run of them, with Hakkapelitta, Rose, or Odin's Eye stainless Damasteel blade, titanium liners, and stabilized wood scales. Might look something like this quick-and-dirty "photoshop" job...

Thats HOT looking Deacon!
    When you've got a Delica and a Dodo, everything else is just eye-candy!

Spyderco Forum Registered User smcfalls13's Avatar
    Interesting tidbit of info

Perhaps this can go on the lefty Kopa, and really make those right handers jealous
    Scott

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
    -Sir Winston Churchill-

Spyderco Forum Registered User ghostrider's Avatar

dialex, DAYWALKER... and the latest edition to the Spyderco design team ...The Deacon?
    First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller
    Thread for tying tips:
    http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! - Axlis

Spyderco Forum Registered User Native Justice's Avatar

God I love photoshop, that design rocks on the Manix... would look even better on either Calypso, Jr. or original (love all three models actually).

Dang man you have vision!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Piet.S's Avatar
    Am giving serious thought to finding someone to customize one for me out of a standard 80mm Manix. Replace the blade and scales, re-use the rest.

I don't think you will be re-using much Deacon. The hammer with the Boye dent will be replaced by a dent-less example also of Damasteel and some neat file work. When you'r this far, the backstrap has to go to match the hammer. You end up with only the pivots and chances are that any knifemaker would rather use his own or the ones he allway uses for he has the right drills and reamers for those. I would say it's gonna be all new.

Quote Originally Posted by Piet.S

I don't think you will be re-using much Deacon. The hammer with the Boye dent will be replaced by a dent-less example also of Damasteel and some neat file work. When you'r this far, the backstrap has to go to match the hammer. You end up with only the pivots and chances are that any knifemaker would rather use his own or the ones he allway uses for he has the right drills and reamers for those. I would say it's gonna be all new.

Thought the manix didn't have a boye dent...

Spyderco Forum Registered User WORKER#9's Avatar
    Damascus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Magic
    Thought the manix didn't have a boye dent...
    Neither size Manix is disfigured by the dreaded Boye dent.

Quote Originally Posted by Piet.S
    Well no need to replace the lock-bar, as it lacks the dent, but you may be right regarding the pivots. If I decide to find someone to do it, then I want, and need, them to retain enough of the original parts to make it clear that it is a customization of a genuine Spyderco knife that I owned, rather than what would amount to an expensive, but unauthorized clone.
    Paul