Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wal Mart surprise

Spyderco Forum Registered User STR's Avatar
    The Native is selling there for $40 plus tax basically.

You figure there are 3337 Wal-Mart stores nationwide and that each one will probably stock 4 Spyderco Native folders. Would you turn down an order for just over 13,300 knives? I wouldn't if I was a manufacturer. And that doesn't even count the reorders to keep the stock up. Its a good deal IMO. I won't be surprised if the Native doesn't surpass the Delica as the all time best seller after word gets out.
    It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog

Spyderco Forum Registered User J Smith's Avatar
    Spyderco will do well with wal mart as long as they do not let them strong arm them.Belive me I know what they can and will do to companies they buy from.
    0 0
    <
    \____/

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Wal-Mart can kiss my Spyder-butt. I'll stick with the good guys.

I think there is probably a reason why there is only one Spyderco in the case. But even still if you figure the math for the number of stores and the number in each case (which I got from the guy behind the counter btw,) then you have about a half million dollar order just in that one knife.
    It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog

Who's going to be kind enough to pick some up and mail them to fellow members? I called and my local wal-mart didn't have them.

Anyone seen them at a wal-mart near San Francisco?

The guy behind the counter said that they were changing the knife counter areas little by little and that they should all be done by Feb next year. This was when I bought my Native today as I casually added it to the rest of my grocery bill. "Haven't told the wife just yet about that. May be a Spydie fan on the couch this evening folks." Good thing there is only one model there. It is so nice to be able to buy 'hands on' for a change on a brand you just love. I got to pick between all four and took the one with the most centered rock solid lock up of them all. $42.64 total.

STR's Blog

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jim Malone's Avatar
    Hey Druid Great post about Dyslexia, i am dyslexic too, so sometimes my English can be a little weird. My daughter has Dyslexia too. Don't feel bad about it, more people then you think have the same problem.

Greetz
    It's better to be judged by 12 then to be carried by 6

Spyderco Forum Registered User redhawk44p's Avatar
    Sal sure kept this Wal Mart deal quiet. Doesn't he know we are insiders here. He could have said "I have a deal with Wally World boys go out and buy a few". That would have sold several hundred at least.

Spyderco Forum Registered User DAYWALKER's Avatar
    Aloha redhawk44p,

WHA...? Oh man...I gotta stop by Wal's and check it out after Hell! IF I am able to go home after my watch...

Great! Ya know, I always thought it'd be good to carry a few 's at Wal's...I mean, if they're gonna sell knives there, it may as well be GOOD ones! Besides, Sal would make a killing there!!!

Usually the only thing I look at in their knife display are the multitools...now it's time to look for 's!

God bless and thanks for the heads up!
    Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife!

In Constant Motion: www.clbdesign.info

Hi Daywalker,
    I hope they wind up carrying all of the Spydies. That would be great.
    They had a Buck Hilo with a frame lock and it wound up in my pocket. I always wanted to try a frame lock.

Spyderco Forum Registered User DAYWALKER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk44p
    Hi Daywalker,
    I hope they wind up carrying all of the Spydies. That would be great.
    They had a Buck Hilo with a frame lock and it wound up in my pocket. I always wanted to try a frame lock.
    Hey redhawk44p,

Wow!!! A Buck "Hilo"...That's a Mayo design. I think he has a few more with either Hawaiian Island names or names of the towns. Just wait for my design to come out...then you'll truly have a bit of Hilo in your pocket! Very OT, but how do ya like that Mayo?

God bless and will talk later. Gotta get off this thing, Hell calls.
    Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife!

In Constant Motion: www.clbdesign.info

It only cost $30 and has 440C. It takes one helluva edge but I don't know how long it will hold it. The thumb stud pokes me in the back a little but all in all it is a great little design.

Actually, the Native was originally designed for Wal-Mart, many years ago. Camillus was going to make the knife, but the deal didn't happen. Hence the BRK 1st generation model. The model has gone through 4 steels and a number of variations and has now gone full circle.

The Wal-Mart deal has been in process for many months. They are testing one model in about a third of their stores. They are only carrying the Native in plain edge, S30V. I couldn't say anything here because Kelly wanted to inform our dealers first. She sent out letters last week. Very high integrity lady.

The Native suffered the same "situation" as the Caly jr. The large dealers don't want to stock more than "one plastic handled Spyderco of the same size". The Delica has always been our best seller (3" blade) so the 3" Native and 3" Caly jr. never got a shot at the "big market".

The specialty knife shops, like Country Knives, carry all of the models, for which we are grateful, but their are few of those type shops.

The original plan was for byrds, but Wal-Mart wanted a USA made high quality folder. They are difficult to work with, because of all of the details, but they are extremely professional.

Hopefully the Native will do well in the "big Market".

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User skcusloa's Avatar
    SPYDERCO WORLD DOMINATION TOUR!

First they conquered the knife nuts, then they conquered the internet, wal mart is slowly falling, TARGET AND K MART ARE NEXT! THEN HOME DEPOT AND LOWES!

I am sure the guys here will tell their friends the virtues of the Native and send them to Wal Mart. I will offer free sharpening if they buy a Native.

When I was there I schooled several of the employees as to the benefits of what Spyderco brings to the table. Several customers heard my exchange so hopefully some of what I told those four guys was retained and will be passed on.

I think it hit home when I told them that the premium CPMS30V blade on that Native would outcut everything else in the display case hands down. Most everything else beside the Native in that display is either 420HC or 440A steel which as we all know does not compare to the S30V steel in any way except perhaps corrosion resistance and even that is debateable.

STR's Blog

Spyderco Forum Registered User zenheretic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sal
    ...The original plan was for byrds, but Wal-Mart wanted a USA made high quality folder... sal
    What the??? Was beginning to believe Walmart prefered Chinese products...
    Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

Are any of the Walmart test stores in the New England area? ft

Spyderco Forum Registered User ront's Avatar
    I know that the Delica has been an extremely popular knife for Spyderco, but it just does nothing for me. I have handled them and just didn't care for it. I would take a Native anyday over the Delica, so I am sorry that it has not sold better at the knife stores. I love my Native! I hope this all works out great for Spyderco. I saw a program a while back on PBS about Walmart. I was not impressed with some of their practices at all. I am sure that Sal and company are covering all bases. It will be nice to go to Wally World and pick up such a great quality knife for a great price.

Ron

I think the only reason that the Delica is the biggest seller is due to the fact that it has more years of availability under it's belt. If the Native had been around as long as the Delica has been it may be the number one already. This move by Spyderco will certainly bring about more sales on that model.

STR's Blog