Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S125V Native Sprint Run

Spyderco Forum Registered User ront's Avatar

S125V Native Sprint Run

Has anyone heard anything about this? I just saw in a thread over at BladeForums that mentioned this. I would sure be up for one of those!! It is on the second page.
    http://bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368013
    I can feel myself getting pulled deeper into the Spyder's web.

Ron
    Last edited by ront; 10-21-2005 at 11:56 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User HoB's Avatar
    I fear all we can do at the moment is wait and see till TazKristi is dropping another morsel . Personally, I am also very excited about it, but not nearly as excited as about the prospect of a model in M4.

Ya, just have to wait and see. The Native was my first Spyderco and I am kinda partial to it. It fits my hand well, I like the blade shape and it just is a great little knife. I really like it's size. I also have no complaints about the S30V now being used.

Ron

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Hi Ron, The CPM-S125V Native will be a short run for the "steel junkies" to get to play with the material.

Regarding the CPM-3V vs CPM-M4, Ed Schempp is testing both. The final choice will be his.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User Vincent's Avatar
    sounds good sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User spydutch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sal
    Hi Ron, The CPM-S125V Native will be a short run for the "steel junkies" to get to play with the material.

Regarding the CPM-3V vs CPM-M4, Ed Schempp is testing both. The final choice will be his.

sal
    Sounds great . Will there be a serrated version this time too?

No serrated versions planned for either model.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User UK KEN's Avatar

Excited!

Sal

Great news! I can't wait!

Regards, Ken

sal
    Thanks for the reply sal. I am new enough here that I need to ask this. Sorry. Am I a "steel junkie" or is that title reserved for a select few? Because after that first Native I am starting to feel like one .

Thanks, Ron

Talking Steel junkie here: reporting for duty

Put me down for 2 of both
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User zenheretic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ront
    Thanks for the reply sal. I am new enough here that I need to ask this. Sorry. Am I a "steel junkie" or is that title reserved for a select few? Because after that first Native I am starting to feel like one .

Thanks, Ron
    Ya don't need a special application to be a steel junkie, just buy the knife if ya want!

Let's see: You know you are a steel junkie when...

...you get excited about a sprint run of your favorite knife in a new steel...even if the old steel performs great

...you can quote blade by blade what steels each knife was made in.

...you know intimate and complex details about how a specific steel is manufactured

...you start threads requesting a new steel in an old favorite

...you know the postitives and negatives of any blade steel

...I'm sure there are more....
    Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

Spyderco Forum Registered User WORKER#9's Avatar

Thumbs up I need a fix!!!!!!!!!!

Massive junky here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Ron,

I guess "steel junkies" are those that pay attention to and care about the steel in the knives.

The differences in steel are like Geo to Ferrari, but in steel, one cannot tell by looking. All steel pretty much looks the same.

Most knife buyers buy by eye and pay little attention to the steel, especially since the costs of an exotic steel can double or triple the cost of making the knife. (better steels not only cost more to purchase raw, but the processing costs are considerably greater).

If your interest in knives is more for "looking", the one doesn't need the latest and greatest performing steel.

AT the top, steel companies are also competing. Crucible makes CPM-S90V, then Hitachi makes ZDP-189 and says "check me out". Then Timken-Latrobe makes their powdered CV20, so Crucible says "125V", etc.

All good, just different.

Kinda like formula one racing.

sal
    Last edited by sal; 10-23-2005 at 07:49 AM.

Arrow But MR. Glesser

But Mr. Glesser that is one of the greatest things about the Great Spyder Factory is that you all give us a myriad of different kinds of blade steels to experiment with. Plus you have a heat treating and quenching methods that even rival those of custom knife makers.

Don't change a thing in that regard. Just keep on doing what you all have been doing for years. And trust me there are many more people out there with my sentiments.

I even cherish some of my older Spyders with GIN-1. That steel even had some interesting properties. I would eventually like to see the Spyder Factory venture into unknown territory like playing with D-2 for instance . Or maybe even doing a "one time" run using a high carbon steel like "Hitachi Super Blue steel" for instance. I guess I am dreaming on those>> but it is a good dream none the less
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User RWL's Avatar
    I love the Native models and then to get them in some new steels WOW.... this is great, I will be getting these knives

JD... I agree, a high carbon blade would be great, they might need a little more care to keep them looking good, but that is one tough metal that holds up very well
    Last edited by RWL; 10-23-2005 at 08:00 AM. Reason: just read JD post
    Ron

WTC #1518 #1535

I think our first venture into non stainless steels will be with Ed Schempp's Camp knife.

D-2 is a good steel, as is M-2. We don't know the market size in Spyderco knives for those steels.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User RWL's Avatar
    That will be a very nice knife. Maybe I misunderstood JD post or I am dreaming to much, I guess I was hopeing for a carbon blade in a folder some day, now unless it is a custom made knife about the only way to get a carbon blade is in a fixed blade knife, there are a few folders out there in carbon steel, but not many.
    I do not know what it takes to manufactor a blade, maybe it is not profitible to try a high carbon blade in a folding knife, you would know that end much better then me Sal
    Ron

WTC #1518 #1535

Spyderco Forum Registered User WORKER#9's Avatar
    Hi Ron,

I guess "steel junkies" are those that pay attention to and care about the steel in the knives.

The differences in steel are like Geo to Ferrari, but in steel, one cannot tell by looking. All steel pretty much looks the same.

Most knife buyers buy by eye and pay little attention to the steel, especially since the costs of an exotic steel can double or triple the cost of making the knife. (better steels not only cost more to purchase raw, but the processing costs are considerably greater).

If your interest in knives is more for "looking", the one doesn't need the latest and greatest performing steel.

AT the top, steel companies are also competing. Crucible makes CPM-S90V, then Hitachi makes ZDP-189 and says "check me out". Then Timken-Latrobe makes their powdered CV20, so Crucible says "125V", etc.

All good, just different.

Kinda like formula one racing.

sal
    One thing that makes Spyderco so great is it's willingness to bring new steels out, in affordable packages. The ZDP caly was a sure hit and the only other knives I new of that used that steel started at $300+ dollars. It makes my habit affordable, because I got a bad habit and it only seems to be getting worse...

Hi RWL. I guess the real question for a hi-carbon steel blade in a folder would be why?

I'm sure thee would be a small market for those that still like and use hi-carbon blades, but don't think it would be large. Modern stainless steels have very good performance with the additional feature of less maintenance.

Powdered metallurgy and Nitrogen based steels offer even greater performance in "knife-able" features (eg; abrasion resistance).

Ssssooooooo.....why?

sal

Powdered metallurgy and Nitrogen based steels offer even greater performance in "knife-able" features (eg; abrasion resistance).

Ssssooooooo.....why?

sal
    Well, the same type of question can be asked for stainless steels. Why do you need S30V if you have VG-10, or ATS-34? It may be slightly better or has some property that makes a difference.
    I know that non-stainless steels are quite well accepted in some folders, e.g. BM 710 with M2 blade, or the famous Opinel with carbon steel (something as 1090). I always choose Opinel with carbon steel, although the stainless version is quite good. This might not be a real answer, but there is a certain appeal in carbon and/or tool steels.
    Concerning the powder steels - although the S30V may have a better edge retention, a lot of people claim they cannot get the edge with S30V as fine as with BG-42 or VG-10. But powder tecnology is not resctricted to stainless steels only - IIRC the CPM M4 is a powder steel too?
    For larger knife it is rather clear why non-stainless. Ed Schempp camp knife with 3V is much tougher then the same knife with S30V. It would be nice to have (as a companion) also a smaller knife, an excellent 4" cutter with great edge retention, something like the Moran knife.

Franco
    Spyderco: NON MULTA SED MULTUM

My islands