Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Shoot-Out is Over! (R2 - vs - Stretch)...

Spyderco Forum Registered User WORKER#9's Avatar
    Was the outcome ever really in doubt!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYWALKER
    Hey, on the vision of your StretchII...how about some graphics when time permits? 28LPI inlay, fine traction grooves...mmmmmmm!

Mahalo Deac' and God bless you my friend.
    Been wanting to see what this would look like. Finally got around to doing it this morning. Scaling of the rose pattern damasteel may be off a bit, as may be the "line count" on the checkering, but gives some idea of what the knife would look like done that way.

Second version shows how it would look with spine straightened and clip screw holes filled or absent.

Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Nice work Paul.

The Stretch is one of my favorite EDC pieces as well. The design is very refined and took quite a while. I think the resistance is due to the Kraton.

I'm also planning a minor clip shape mod.

Currently I'm at a loss to decide what to replace the Kraton with that won't drive the price through the roof.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User Sundown's Avatar

Question

Quote Originally Posted by sal

Currently I'm at a loss to decide what to replace the Kraton with that won't drive the price through the roof.

sal
    Would a piece of FRN or G10 in the handle of the Stretch drive the price through the roof? You'll have to forgive me, I don't know what the costs associated with obtaining and machining those materials would be.

Thanks,
    Sundown
    GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Mr Blonde's Avatar
    Nice review Paul, very thorough. I have both knives as well, but for everyday utility use the Stretch wins for me as well.

How to improve on the Stretch? Change the inlay with something smoother and less tacky to a pocket, like (Pakka)wood or G10 (blue please ).

Wouter

Last update: 03-21-2014 - WTC 2507 - Twitter

Spyderco Forum Registered User WORKER#9's Avatar
    I really like those pics Deacon, that wood insert looks nice!

Nice work Paul.

The Stretch is one of my favorite EDC pieces as well. The design is very refined and took quite a while. I think the resistance is due to the Kraton.

I'm also planning a minor clip shape mod.

sal
    Thanks Sal,

From the material cost standpoint, checkered FRN - in brown with black streaks to mimic wood grain. Problem there might be the cost of the mold. Of course since strength is not a factor, some type fairly dense plastic, that could be purchased pre-checkered in sheet form would be ideal. Just a question of finding a source.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Hi Paul,

We've got pretty good sourcing. Finding out what the customer would like is probably the most important. Then we'll figure out how to make it. I know that is backwards for most manufacturers, but it is our way.

Your suggestion for a checkered FRN is the same logic I come to. The streaking comment is intresting. My first choice is carbon fiber textured like the CF Millie, but I think cost would shrink that market. Maybe we can "imitate" CF in FRN?

Thanx for the input. All input is appreciated.

The Stretch, IMO, is a good ergonomic pattern, a good overall size, is well made and should serve well as an effective EDC, even if it is a bit of an "ugly duckling". Show your XYZ model, but cut with your Stretch.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User 224477's Avatar
    Paul,

good pics man! I like the 2nd mod with the leaf shape blade.

Sal, CF imitation from FRN sounds quite interesting. Any pics of this available?

Jano
    "Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."

Hi Paul,

We've got pretty good sourcing. Finding out what the customer would like is probably the most important. Then we'll figure out how to make it. I know that is backwards for most manufacturers, but it is our way.

Your suggestion for a checkered FRN is the same logic I come to. The streaking comment is intresting. My first choice is carbon fiber textured like the CF Millie, but I think cost would shrink that market. Maybe we can "imitate" CF in FRN?

Thanx for the input. All input is appreciated.

The Stretch, IMO, is a good ergonomic pattern, a good overall size, is well made and should serve well as an effective EDC, even if it is a bit of an "ugly duckling". Show your XYZ model, but cut with your Stretch.

sal
    Hear you on CF being your first choice, as I have yet to handle the CF Military, I will withhold judgment for now. As mentioned in my initial post, my first choice would be checkered, stabilized wood. Might be interesting "market research" to do up one of each and see what people think. The streaking idea for the FRN came from thinking about the checkered plastic stocks on Daisy BB guns.
    Paul