Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 125

Thread: Spyderco Fixed Blades

  1. #41
    Spyderco Forum Registered User DAYWALKER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hawaii USA
    Posts
    6,897
    Quote Originally Posted by zenheretic
    Hey there Daywalker, I do agree there may be a trend for the "thick" FB, but I do belive there is still a large portion of the FB ELU who still want a reasonable blade. (reasonable in this case meaning a light enough blade to hike, hunt, or general move about yet still have FB utility, and not the uber thick military, tank like blade that weighs 2 pounds.) The trick is to find the reasonable blade that will make the necessary sales. Of course without detailed sales figures from all companies, we can only talk perceived trends, as no would give us those details. I enclosed two models of "lesser FB" still for sale from rival companies...one can only assume that they are profitable as they are still for sale... along with some proper One I would rate quality manufacture the other well...so so:[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Aloha zenheretic,

    WOW! Love that Boker Desert Fairbairn/Applegate! Is that one next to the SPOT something from CRKT?

    Anyway, yes, you have a valid point here also. However, the Applegate you have shown I have read for awhile now being beaten and used to "death". Like the Kabar, it has survived wars. Ontario Knives' Pilot knives and Camillus' USMC FB's have done the same, and at a great price point. (Well, that Boker is a pretty big chunk o' change!) Anyway, the sole survivor for is the Moran. Have not handled one, but I have read great feedback on this knife since it came out in the late 90's...so it's still surviving. People, lots of people are USING the Moran. Sporadic stories of the SPOT, Temperance, Ronin, are here and there but I believe not enough to keep them "alive". Not enough people USE their Lum Tanto, Ronin, Perrin...

    I think if you ask, "Who uses their Temperance in the field?" and then "Who uses their Kabar, BRKT, Ontario, Busse etc..." well, you know what I mean...I just don't know how to explain it.

    Great point, and great knives BTW! Thanks for the pics!

    God bless
    Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

    "Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

    Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife!

    In Constant Motion: www.clbdesign.info

  2. #42
    Spyderco Forum Registered User zenheretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA, Earth
    Posts
    7,476
    Yeah it is the Boker...and a CRKT.

    I was just saying that not all FB that sell are the thick,(semi)-custom ubber tank blades that are indead a trend...or a craze. These are indeed the size of the that haven't made the "profit" cut no matter how well designed they are. Of course that is really the million dollar answer, a design of a FB that will sell...which of course, I don't know. I couldn't even answer Sal's challege of using a FB...not much chance to use here in the desert city.

    Of course if I do use a FB, I plan to use my
    Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

  3. #43
    Spyderco Forum Registered User DAYWALKER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hawaii USA
    Posts
    6,897
    Quote Originally Posted by zenheretic
    Yeah it is the Boker...and a CRKT.

    I was just saying that not all FB that sell are the thick,(semi)-custom ubber tank blades that are indead a trend...or a craze. These are indeed the size of the that haven't made the "profit" cut no matter how well designed they are. Of course that is really the million dollar answer, a design of a FB that will sell...which of course, I don't know. I couldn't even answer Sal's challege of using a FB...not much chance to use here in the desert city.

    Of course if I do use a FB, I plan to use my
    Aloha my friend,

    Yes, i know not all of them have to be an inch thick and capable of falling a tree with one blow... Someitmes, I wonder if it's because 's folders are SO ahead of their time, that to have a FB design say "Spyderco" is something they have not been able to do yet. I tried designing a FB strictly for , an FB that "said" Spyderco...and i got stuck.

    Anyway, great knives and God bless!
    Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

    "Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

    Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife!

    In Constant Motion: www.clbdesign.info

  4. #44
    Spyderco Forum Registered User zenheretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA, Earth
    Posts
    7,476
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYWALKER
    Aloha my friend,

    Yes, i know not all of them have to be an inch thick and capable of falling a tree with one blow... Someitmes, I wonder if it's because 's folders are SO ahead of their time, that to have a FB design say "Spyderco" is something they have not been able to do yet. I tried designing a FB strictly for , an FB that "said" Spyderco...and i got stuck.

    Anyway, great knives and God bless!
    You probably got stuck because Sal already beat you to it with the Temperance...
    Here is a favorite blessing and seems most appropriate for your profession:

    "May God stand between you and harm in all the Empty places you must walk..."
    Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

  5. #45
    Spyderco Forum Registered User DAYWALKER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hawaii USA
    Posts
    6,897
    Quote Originally Posted by zenheretic
    You probably got stuck because Sal already beat you to it with the Temperance...
    Here is a favorite blessing and seems most appropriate for your profession:

    "May God stand between you and harm in all the Empty places you must walk..."
    LOL! Yeah, you're probably right! However, there is a guy here who goes by Ceya Knife Designz...

    Mahalo much for the blessing verse...I rely on His Word daily...here's one for you my friend:

    Psalm 121:7-8. Check it out.

    God bless and mahalo zenheretic!
    Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

    "Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

    Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife!

    In Constant Motion: www.clbdesign.info

  6. #46
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tucson, Az
    Posts
    176
    Zenheretic! Thank you for reminding me. I just ordered it!

  7. #47
    Spyderco Forum Registered User ceya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Posts
    1,028
    Daywalker,

    you called?

    S/F<
    CEYA!
    Ceya Knife Designz

  8. #48
    Spyderco Forum Registered User zenheretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA, Earth
    Posts
    7,476
    Quote Originally Posted by steeldust
    Zenheretic! Thank you for reminding me. I just ordered it!
    My pleasure Knife bro! You will not be disappointed.
    Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

  9. #49
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    325

    my 2 c

    Quote Originally Posted by sal
    Sooo......in the past 7 days, how many have carried and used their FB pieces and what for?

    The key word is carried.

    sal
    Just one opinion:
    I think Joyce is right - for most folks a folder is much more convenient to carry than a fixed blade, particularly if the main intended use is just cutting

    Large fixed blades appeal to some people (myself included), and they certainly get a lot of attention, but probably not too many of us can get away with carrying them with us most of the time.

    For me, the most useful and most carried fixed blades are not the big choppers or combat knives, but smaller ones in the 4" blade range.
    I carry one regularly when I'm working in the field, hunting, dogsledding, etc. I carry a Busse Active Duty a lot and a Fallkniven F1 in cold weather (rubber grip). In the same size range I have a BM Nimrav cub, a Swamprat bandicoot, a Busse Badger 3, a CS Master hunter, a Spyderco Temperance... so I guess I like this size

    I use a fixed blade when I want (1) instant blade or (2) something stronger than a folder (if twisting might be involved, for example) or (3) doing messy jobs where I don't want to gunk up a folder (dressing out a deer).

    I also have a large blade (Swamprat Battle rat) for chopping, brush clearing, trail maintenance, etc.

    Large fixed blade knive lives in my truck, or gets carried in a backpack. When you gotta carry your gear, you maybe worry more about weight, bulk, etc, so I really don't want a monster blade that weighs a ton. The SW BR is good in this regard - big enough to get the job done, not an anchor.

    My fixed spydies:
    I "carry" my SPOT in my briefcase everyday -if that counts
    I use the Temp a lot in the kitchen. It is a great cutter/slicer/etc, I love VG10, but it does not get much field time. The blade is too broad for most of my uses and the handle is just too fat for my stubby fingers.
    I am looking forward to the Schempp knife - I hope it is not unnecessarily massive. I want a long blade, that is light to carry, agile, good cutter, etc. I don't have as much need for a knife that can double as a shovel or crowbar
    btw, almost all my folders are spydies - they are the best! I still think the Delica is a work of (utilitarian) art.

  10. #50
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Simona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Prague, Czech republic
    Posts
    941
    Quote Originally Posted by smcfalls13
    See now that would be a legitimate reason to visit. I've got no one willing to train the Gunting with me, for some reason all my friends don't like pain

    Someone needs to kick my a** and teach me some stuff I can't get off of the videos alone.

    That's pretty out of the way to get slapped around though

    On a totally unrelated note. Simona how sharp were your Abanikos from the factory? I'm only asking because mine was so dull it was embarassing. Took several hours(days ) to reprofile them without the diamond stones.
    Hi,
    i can say both was very good sharp, sure, this is not something a la Karambit sharp, but ok ... btw.these two are first prototypes, not production pieces ...
    Pity ,that Spyderco do not produce these knives... thats Ontario... hm ..Ontario is Ontario ..
    but Spyderco is Spyderco ...

    btw. not my knives, these two owned Bram Frank, when he was here ...
    Last edited by Simona; 10-19-2005 at 01:03 PM.
    Simona ::: Prague, Czech Republic

  11. #51
    Spyderco Forum Registered User zenheretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA, Earth
    Posts
    7,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Simona
    Noo, you do not count trainers!

    BTW., little off topic: Look my trainer...


    and live blades, Abanico´s, 5" and 7"
    Eeeeeek! Joyful girl with a knife!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

  12. #52
    Spyderco Forum Registered User VultureParade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Atco, New Jersey - Camden County, South Jersey USA
    Posts
    364
    I've been thinking about Spyderco's fixed blade problem for a while.

    I think the main problem is that Spyderco usually produces knives that are middle of the road when it comes to blade length.

    They are too big to carry legally in most places and they are too small to satisfy the longer blade hungry crowd.


    I think a knife with a 3 inch or smaller blade and a thin, flat handle would do well.

    I'd go with G10 as a handle material. FRN may work fine, but when people see plastic on a fixed blade knife they think cheap, IMHO. Most of the other production companies are using micarta or G10. Spyderco needs to do the same. The Perrin and Temp may have failed on this factor alone.

    Go full tang, pin or screw construction.


    In the past, I suggested coming out with a smaller Perrin model with a G10 handle and I still think this is still a good idea.

    The original Perrin was too long to carry around and had a FRN handle.


    Another thing is a sheath. What about a leather pocket sheath with a clip for pocket carry? A small fixed blade would do well with this carry option.

    I'd also think about trying some non-stainless steels on the fixed models. This might perk interest.

    I think Bark River is a successful fixed blade company because their models use a high quality/tough/uncommon to production companies steel (A2, mostly), have high quality handles with a variety of options, and work the full spectrum of fixed blade sizes.

    For Spyderco to compete in the fixed blade market, they need to look at a company like Bark River and then come out with a fixed blade that is of equal or higher quality.

    Also, I think Spyderco is known for folders and that's why people buy those over their fixed blades.

    G10 handles, full tang, pin or screw
    user friendly sheaths
    tool steel on bigger fixed blades
    smaller blades
    thinner handles


    -Bryan

  13. #53
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by VultureParade
    I've been thinking about Spyderco's fixed blade problem for a while.

    G10 handles, full tang, pin or screw
    user friendly sheaths
    tool steel on bigger fixed blades
    smaller blades
    thinner handles


    -Bryan
    VP -
    all good. I like all your suggestions
    Open question though - what can spyderco do to distinguish itself from companies like Bark River (which, as you say, makes some nice small fixed blades) ?
    Unique designs like the SPOT, SWICK maybe ? A good method of carry/deployment (something spyderco is known for in its folders) like a usable pocket sheath (good idea) or functional, low profile waistband sheath (with a strong clip) ?

  14. #54
    Spyderco Forum Registered User VultureParade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Atco, New Jersey - Camden County, South Jersey USA
    Posts
    364
    exactly runningdog

    I think Spyderco can really shine in the invention department.

    I think new blade styles are great, but they have to be easy to sharpen. I think this is part of the why reason the SPOT failed.

    I don't see any reason why Spyderco can't come up with some awesome blades that would be easy to sharpen.

    I think sheaths are a HUGE part. I'd really like to see some production company step up and rework the sheath issue. pocket sheaths, your idea for thin waistband sheaths, etc. We can get production knives that are sometimes very close in quality to custom knives, or at least a good translation. I think it is time to close the gap between production company sheaths and custom sheaths.

    Maybe Sal can get with Fred Perrin and talk about some of his sheath designs, they are all rather revolutionary, horizontal low profile belt sheaths, etc.

    -Bryan

  15. #55
    Spyderco Forum Registered User smcfalls13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Reisterstown, MD, USA, Earth
    Posts
    7,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Simona
    Hi,
    i can say both was very good sharp, sure, this is not something a la Karambit sharp, but ok ... btw.these two are first prototypes, not production pieces ...
    Pity ,that Spyderco do not produce these knives... thats Ontario... hm ..Ontario is Ontario ..
    but Spyderco is Spyderco ...

    btw. not my knives, these two owned Bram Frank, when he was here ...
    I figured yours were either the prototypes, or the special numbered run Bram had made for those on his forums. Thanks for letting me know.

    I agree, I would have preferred Spyderco make them, but I don't always get everything I want.
    Scott

    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
    -Sir Winston Churchill-

  16. #56
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Jim Malone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Absurdistan E.U.
    Posts
    751
    I carry my spot every day, on a neck sheath, 24/7. If the knive bothers me during sleep i hang it on a knob next to my bed.

    I am currently waiting for a Temperance to arrive. I like FB's , i am currently waiting for the swick to appear.

    carrying is important but not the only factor IMHO. Just the fact that you have access to a fixed blade is also important.

    I would like to draw the comparison with Busse. I don't believe every Busse is carried and used on a daily bases. But Busse still seems to survive although you can hardly say they produce small , sheeple friendly, easely to conceil fixed blades
    It's better to be judged by 12 then to be carried by 6

  17. #57
    Spyderco Forum Registered User zenheretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA, Earth
    Posts
    7,476
    Ha I forgot about the SPOT...I carry mine every day...don't sleep with it though...have been sleeping with my Temperance a time or two...just under the pillow...not because I'm in danger but just because I can....
    Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

  18. #58
    Spyderco Forum Registered User zenheretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA, Earth
    Posts
    7,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Simona
    Noo, you do not count trainers!

    BTW., little off topic: Look my trainer...


    and live blades, Abanico´s, 5" and 7"
    mine seems some how lacking...
    Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

  19. #59
    Spyderco Forum Registered User druid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The western edge of north America
    Posts
    930

    Post

    The one fixed blade I own is a quarter inch thick tanto that weighs about a pound I keep it by my bedside sort of encased in general. And in the emergency situation I would most likely grab a folder or two from the case. I have never strapped it on with its leather scabbard and belt loop and actually walked out of the house. I would be somewhat conspicuous in the middle of Orange County California. I have put some serious thought into buying the ronin for use at age bonfires and other prohibitively dirty or Grady environments specially at its current price point. But I have not because it seems a bit too specialized. The Morgan would work better but I'm too cheap to buy one and I like a bargain.

    When Mercedes developed the first luxury SUV. They did so on the basis of the study that showed many Mercedes owners had a truck or similar vehicle as their second vehicle.

    Same principle may apply for knives if you are a have a precision tool there is a certain logic in announcing it with a brute force cutter that can double as a crowbar/hard material penetrator/ax/OK knife.

    In addition most spyderco fb come with a functional yet from an aesthetic viewpoint somewhat lacking plastic scabbard. I've heard it said that spyderco knives cut through leather to easily to make it a functional scabbard material. I also be a little bit concerned about the Taclock I don't think there's a detailed description of how it works on the web site. It seems to have a lot of goodly little pieces.
    Last edited by druid; 10-19-2005 at 08:01 PM.
    why
    #2432

  20. #60
    Spyderco Forum Registered User smcfalls13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Reisterstown, MD, USA, Earth
    Posts
    7,218
    Quote Originally Posted by zenheretic
    mine seems some how lacking...
    ROFLMAO
    Scott

    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
    -Sir Winston Churchill-

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •