Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco Fixed Blades

Spyderco Forum Registered User smcfalls13's Avatar

Spyderco Fixed Blades

I remember a thread a few weeks back where Sal mentioned (not sure of the exact words) that Spydercos fixed blades do not enjoy the same popularity as most of the folders, and that they just never seem to catch on. At the time, I really couldn't comment, because i hadn't handled many of Spyderco's fixed blades.

Now I feel more able to express my shock at such information. I still have only handled a few of the fixed blades, namely the Temperance, Ronin, and Kumo, but I cannot for the life of me understand why these knives aren't more popular.

The Temperance is a ROCK of a knife. I swear the thing would survive a nuclear blast with nothing more than a few scratches. The Ronin is the sharpest knife I've handled. It's so sharp I'm almost afraid to pick it up. And the Kumo is simply put, a work of art. I can't find a single thing wrong with any of these fixed blades. I've not handled the Moran, Perrin, or Spot, but I think Spyderco's knives tend to be consistent for the most part, and I would expect these knives to function as well as the ones I mentioned.

Which brings me back to my point. Why are these not more popular?

Are fixed blades just not as desired as folders? Are Spyderco's fixed blades being underestimated because they're primarily known for folders? Is it because fixed blades are not as easy to carry? Perhaps I'm just jumping to conclusions having only handled a few of Spyderco's fixed blades?

I'm really at a loss here, can anyone explain why this is the case. I would love to see more fixed blades from Spyderco, they do a D*** good job with them, better in fact than a lot of companies whose ONLY products are fixed blades. Not to mention that for what Spyderco's knives are capable of, they are infinitely cheaper than other comparable knives. The best quality for the money spent, in my opinion.

This just doesn't make sense.
    Scott

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
    -Sir Winston Churchill-

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Personally, the only fixed blade I like is the Ronin. IMHO the others are ugly. The Kumo has a nice blade but I really don't like the handle. I'm not a fan of this type of Japanese style.

I repeat it's only my opinion. Sorry.

In the future I hope to see a beautiful fighter or a military/outdoor/camp fixed blade (6" or 7" blade lenght).

Spyderco Forum Registered User skcusloa's Avatar
    I think the average person that goes for a fixed blade goes for a ka bar. People that want something better usually go for something much more expensive. Spyderco is some where in the middle, as far as price. IMO

I haven't handled any of the spyderco fixed blades. I'd get the temperance if I was going to buy one.

What is the name of FB04? It's the knife pictured with "specials" under the picture in the online catalong. It looks sweet.

I guess they just haven't drawn attention to themselves.

Arrow Fixed Quality

I got my first Temperance fixed blade last March. I liked it so much that I made a concerted effort to get the fully serrated version of it. They are both inseparable to me. The handle on the Temperance is almost tailor made for my hand. It is a keeper.

The Ronin is a super quality knife but the handle did not fit me for some reason. The guy I traded it to really loves it. However it's folder-brother the Yojimbo is currently one of my top 10 favorite Spyders.

I also have a Perrin. Now I really think the Perrin is the victim of either bad timing, out of sync marketing or was just competing with too many good knives at the time of it's production. My Perrin is also a keeper.

I think that Spyderco is on the right path with their fixed blades. They are pretty much universally known for their excalibur folders that most people as of yet just don't associate them with fixed blades. That will change with time.

I would love to see them come out with a deluxe version of a hunting knife with a really big guthook like my Cold Steel Master Hunter Plus. They will in due time I am sure. JD
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User J Smith's Avatar
    The trend in fixed blades are for more of a thicker heavy duty blade(full tang and Micarta).
    Swamp Rats,Busse,Strider,Ontario,KaBar.
    Spyderco has never really offered anything like this.
    I still think a Spyderco-Krein colab would fixed the problem of Spyderco not haveing a popular fixed blade.
    0 0
    <
    \____/

Spyderco Forum Registered User WORKER#9's Avatar
    When it comes to fixed blades, I want a MONSTER. I feel a lot of Spyderco's fixed blades are similar in size and weight to there folders. So if I can get the same cutting power in a folder I will pass on the fixed. The Ronin and the Yojimbo are classic examples of the same knife.

I want a fixed blade that is a monolithic piece of steel, capable in my mind of prying open a car door, tearing through a wall, chopping, smashing and whatever massive choir would ruin my Delica. Small light fixed blades miss the market for me. most of Spydercos fixed blades are small and light. This is not a bad thing its just how I FEEL.

Busse and Strider who do very well with fixed blades offer the massive chunk of steel that I think consumers with my mindset are looking for. I know thinner blades are better for cutting and thats why I always carry a folder, For a fixed I want sword like qaulities. Even if the blade is short I want thick!!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User greencobra's Avatar
    Heck, fixed blades usualy serve a dedicated purpose IMO. Hunting/camping and SD. I hunt, birds only now, and honestly, as much as I like Spyderco folders, would look elsewhere for a fixed blade for that application. While the new Kumo is nice and I'll get one, strapped on my hip when I go out is a big huge, beefy fixed blade, cause you never know the situation you can wind up in. I also carry a small fixed blade knife for dressing the kill and a folder in my pocket.

There was talk of an Ed Schempp fixed blade the beginning of this year but that died down. That was suppose to be a stout fixed blade. I'll wait and see what becomes of that, maybe that will be my new hunting companion.

Thumbs up suggestion: HAWKBILL fixed

Now this is only a suggestion. But one that I do hope gets some consideration. About 4 months ago a very fine Spyder brother and I did some trading and I ended up with a fixed blade Hawkbill knife. It was custom made by one of the better known ABS bladesmiths and it has been a blessing.

As much as I like and use Hawkbills I really have a special fondness for the fixed blade Hawkbill I have. As much as Spyderco is somewhat synonymous with Hawkbills it would only make perfect sense to me ( and I am sure others would agree) for them to be one of the first mainline knife companies to make a high quality fixed blade Hawkbill.

Now I don't want the thread to go completely in this direction because Worker# 9 and a couple of other guys here have fine suggestions as well. I also like the idea of a really heavy duty Spyderco fixed blade. Well let's talk about this shall we?
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User greencobra's Avatar
    Spit it out JD, what are you trying to say? lol

Quote Originally Posted by skcusloa
    What is the name of FB04? It's the knife pictured with "specials" under the picture in the online catalong. It looks sweet.
    If it's still the same one it's been for a while, thats the FB03 Lum Tanto that is pictured. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by smcfalls13; 10-16-2005 at 08:21 PM.
    Scott

-Sir Winston Churchill-

Good input. thanx much. The Schempp Camp knife is still in the plan.

sal

Quote Originally Posted by WORKER#9
    I want a fixed blade that is a monolithic piece of steel, capable in my mind of prying open a car door, tearing through a wall, chopping, smashing and whatever massive choir would ruin my Delica. Small light fixed blades miss the market for me. most of Spydercos fixed blades are small and light. This is not a bad thing its just how I FEEL.
    I can respect this. I feel the same way, but for some reason that Temperance just feels indestructible to me. I'd be willing to bet that a Temperance could do all those things, except for maybe the car door prying

I think you make a good point though, one I hadn't thought of. It does seem that if someone wants a fixed blade, they seem to gravitate towards thick knives that would take a lot of abuse.

That sounds like a niche Spyderco might want to try to fill. I'd like to see a thick blade, that can still cut like a That would be impressive.
    Scott

-Sir Winston Churchill-

I don't believe I was hear back when the Ed Schempp fixed blade was discussed, but that is good news to hear it's still a possibility. I will look forward to this one.
    Scott

-Sir Winston Churchill-

Spyderco Forum Registered User vampyrewolf's Avatar
    FB04 was the Perrin Street Bowie

I have a first run FB01 Moran... mirror finish, convex edge, leather sheath, #ed... love the knife but the sheath isn't the best for daily wear. Have kydex for it from Eric Noeldechen.

Had the Lum Fixed, just don't have any real use for a tanto.

Had both a serrated and plain edge Temperance. Should never have traded the plain edge to Eric for a mold knife. Traded for the serrated and it was gone shortly after.

I've looked at the Kumo, and will be getting one after I have money again... sweet little blade.
    Coffee before Conciousness
    Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
    Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.

Spyderco Forum Registered User DAYWALKER's Avatar
    Aloha Scott,

I think J Smith and #9 said it best. I have only handled the SPOT and Ronin in terms of FB's, and they are fine knives. However, most FB users will lean towards the Micarta slabbed, THICK spined knife, an example being what I have in my car: Ontario RTAK. Or, as J Smith pointed out, at least this is where the "trend" currently is.

God bless
    Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife!

In Constant Motion: www.clbdesign.info

Spyderco Forum Registered User dialex's Avatar
    Spyderco's earlier models of fixed blade knives look too much like some kitchen knives, IMHO. Take the Perrin, the Temperance, even the Moran. They perform fine, no doubt about it, but they lack the looks an average user may look after.
    As you can see, the new ones follow a different approach and chances are that we'll see (in the not so distant future, I hope) more attractive looking knives with the same functionality.
    The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.

Spyderco Forum Registered User d.g.g's Avatar
    I have several Spyderco fixed blades for use in the kitchen and THEY ROCK! Well slice and dice are more like it. We use them every day and they probably get more use than any other knife.

Have you seen the commercial where the knife cuts the nail in half. I think these could cut the refrigerator in half.

Better yet they don't have some unpronounceable German or Japanese name associated with them. Hee hee! And they don't cost as nearly as much as many fancy chef knives.

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=150

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=65

The Dragon Lady loves her Spyderco knives more than any other knives and she is a very good cook.
    Last edited by d.g.g; 10-18-2005 at 12:42 PM.

IMHO I think FBs don't sell as well because the average consumer finds them harder to carry as an everyday carry cutter. The majority of Spyderco sales are to folks buying a knife to use as an EDC.

So many of us dress for comfort (sneakers and cotton) carrying a clipped folder is in most cases more comfortable than the attachment methods for FBs. I could be the freak here- LOL but that is the primary reason I prefer folders over FBs.

Joyce

I think Joyce is right. FB's aren't as easy to carry. They also are not very discreet. It's legal to carry a .45 auto on my hip where I live but doing so does not exactly put people at ease. Same thing with fixed blades imo. Fixed blades are more my choice in the woods. For edc in the city I just prefer to be more discreet with a 3-4" folder inside my pocket. I like the Temperance and there is not even one on ebay right now! So they are not as available. Still, my favorite knife is a fixed blade!

Quote Originally Posted by steeldust
    I like the Temperance and there is not even one on ebay right now!
    That's because I'm stocking up in case they're discontinued

Joyce makes a good point though, try attaching a FB sheath to a pair of sweat pants or gym shorts. It's just not gonna work. As for looking too much like kitchen knives, that's also a good point. Another perfect example of people simply looking at the design and saying "wow that Spyderco is ugly" despite that if they would just handle it, they would realize that all the things that make the knife "ugly" are also the same things that make them function flawlessly.

The Temperance is the only knife I have ever been able to say that it "fits like a glove" no matter what grip it's in. It is by far the best fixed blade I've handled, and ironicaly enough, it's also one of the cheapest. I love when that happens
    Scott

-Sir Winston Churchill-