Page 6 of 63 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Spyderco Forum Registered User zenheretic's Avatar
    12/27/05 another from Sal's Right Taz: H1 Rc hardness:
    http://spyderco.com/forums/showthrea...t=19120&page=2

Quote Originally Posted by TazKristi
    H1 is a precipitation-hardened alloy. And yes, it is also work-hardened. Meaning that anything that you do that causes heat through friction will harden the steel further; itís also important to note that tests have shown that it does not become brittle. The work-hardened properties of H1 have been proven by analysis independently performed by Crucible Specialty Metals. It is this that explains why an H1 blade with a SpyderEdge has better edge retention than it's PlainEdge counterpart. In the end, the analysis from Crucible found the Rc at the spine was 58, however at the edge it had increased in both the PlainEdge (to 65 Rc) and the SpyderEdge (to 68 Rc).

The Salt Series knives are being made and promoted to a market where corrosion resistance is important.

So, is H1 possibly just another flavor-of-the-month? Possibly, but hype can only go so far.

Kristi
    every few months the same questions come up regarding H1, now maybe I can find it for reference!

P.S. Nice Sal finds Friz and Chris!
    Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

Spyderco Forum Registered User catamount's Avatar
    On bladeforums regarding the Calypso 3/Locking Penknife:

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Glesser

Hi Guyon,

I won't have a proto until FEB so MAR/APR is not likely.

More like early summer, if all is ok on the proto.

It's a VG-10 lock-back. Either single bolster or no bolster. If the first one is accepted, we'll tool up for an FRN version.

There is also a plan for a ZDP version.

sal

We would make the model in Seki. VG-10 is the best from Japan, IMO. (other than exotics). It also permits a ZDP version from the same maker.

S30V would have to be done in Golden, and we've got quite a few projects "in the works" in Golden.

The Caly's were made in Seki. I think we'll be able to provide an excellent piece.

sal
    Tom

http://spydercovt.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sequimite View Post
    I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
    Junior avatar courtesy of dialex

1/7/06 Yojimbo trainer info:
    http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19290

Quote Originally Posted by sal
    We've gone "back and forth".

Michael approved of an engineering drawing last week. We going to try to "sqeeze in" a short run. Can't say exactly when though.

sal

1/7/06 matriarch history/#
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=381485

Hi guys,

The Matriarch was created and produced for Spyderco's South African Distributor. The name "Matriarch" is the leader of the elephant herd, always the wisest female in the herd. (Males are expelled from the herd when they begin to "must". a gland secretion above their eyes that indicates they are ready to mate).

We made a 500 piece run in a gray version primarily for the forumites. The black version had more pieces, but still not over 1500. Most went to South Africa.

The knife was built primarily for women as Bruce Wentzel was teaching a SD class that the knife was created for. The Spyderhawk became the next variation on the same theme for the same customer and the same reasons.

Again a 500 pice blue version was made for forumites. The majority of those also went to South Africa.

Hope that helps.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Originally Posted by sal
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=381429

One of our crew designed the "bug" about 25 years ago.

sal

The D'Allara's are mine. Started with the WTC version, then the D'Allara. The mold has been changed 4 times thus far evolving the design.

sal

The Catcherman was dedsigned by Sumio Sakai.
    The SpyderHawk was designed by Bruce Wentzel.
    The Kiwi was mine.
    The Dyads were done with Peter Jhones and me. He invented the "bypass lock".

sal
    Last edited by FRIZ; 01-07-2006 at 06:17 PM.

Originally Posted by sal

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19323

Colors are always a problem. It seems that everyone askes for colors, but always buys black. We've done colors many times with many models, even did surveys, but they never seem to have strength in numbers.

I notice more colors coming our lately, maybe the climate has changed?

We've got a blue Delica (ZDP) coming, a blue gray version witn an Emerson Wave, regular black and trainer red.

We're looking at some colors, but haven't decided.

How many of you carry, on a daily basis, an FRN knife with a color other than black, and what is it?

If not, why not?

sal

The Rescues, we colored for function.

The Salts had a yellow variation because 1) our Australian Distributor strongly suggested it after their experiences with Yellow Rescues. Also 2) yellow is a marine safety color (function).

The burgundy Caly was a "long shot" and we actually had quite a bit of resistance. We needed to make it a different color than black or gray. In the end, the market accepted it.

The downside is lotta inventory, some that moves slowly. So most of the dealers won't take a chance on stocking them.

On colored G-10, our G-10 is cusom made with extra layers of glass. We do this because of the pockets that we cut out of the material when nesting parts. We add material because we don't want to weaken the handle.

So if we want to add a color in G-10, we have to make a fairly large amount. That's why we're always interested in ELU opinions.

sal
    Last edited by FRIZ; 01-08-2006 at 02:26 PM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Michael Cook's Avatar

4 position clip on millie?

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19332

The Paramilitary has dual nested liners which is required for the compression lock. The Mili has one, but is currently being fitted for a 2nd one.
    sal
    More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai

Regarding the new Spyderwrench:

We are geting very close. Should have production before summer.

sal
    Tom

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.

This one is actually from TazKristi on bladeforum:

Quote Originally Posted by tazkristi
    Guyon,
    We are in the process of developing a fixed blade for the Salt Series.

Kristi
    Tom

Taken from BladeForums in response to a question for a smaller version of the D'Allara drop point knife...
    It seems to me that the Drop Point D'Allara has done pretty well since it's introduction. So, Sal, how about considering a mini-version of this design for those of us who want something more like a 3-inch blade.
    Sal's response...
    Interesting that you would suggest that. We do have a smaller version in the beginning design stages. We're hidin' and watchin' to see reaction to the new DP version.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User ront's Avatar
    That would be awesome!! The Griptilian has 2 sizes and does well. So should the D'Allara!! I am waiting for more news on this one Sal!!

Ron

In response to a question about future projects with the Taiwan company that made the Salsa:

Hi 4077th,

Interesting observation and question.

We've got three new models in the works" with them.

One is a total redeign of the Salsa, so different, it has a new name.

Two and Three cannot be mentioned at this time for fear of the sales dept coming after me with sharp knives.

sal
    Tom

1/26/06 Native 3 upgrade:
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=384291

Hi Numberthree,

Thanx for the kind words, appreciate.

Actually,the Native3 is up for a design "up-grade". the"pattern" is where I want it, but compalints of "being too thick" in the pocket have come from ELUs.

The "plan" is to make in thinner, while still retaining the 3D ergos. Always a challenge.

I would appreicate any opinions on the model.

sal

Quote Originally Posted by deeker
    Taken from BladeForums in response to a question for a smaller version of the D'Allara drop point knife...

Sal's response...
    just throwing in the link so folks can find it...
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=384383

Spyderco Forum Registered User Senate's Avatar
    I don't know if it has already been reported an the prvious pages but here it goes:

both quotes from BritishBlades, thanks guys!

We have a design for a 2.5" blade "notch-joint" folder on the same basic pattern as the UKPK, just shorter. It was the result of an earlier thread on BB some time ago.

We plan to make the UKPK available to other countries at the SHOT show '06. There has been a fair amount of interest in the concept.

I'll bring the smaller pieces to Leeds and we can discuss directions. We had a bolstered handle model and a less expensive FRN handle model. the 3 blade shapes used; warnie, lambsfoot and UKPK "leaf"

we're also working with two custom makers on magnetic slip-joints.

We're open to any new design concepts or even designs, but the market has to be large enough for the investment.

We would not be able to make a "normal" slip-jpint because of the afore mentioned round hole trademark.

sal
    On the UKPK, the model will be offered worldwide at the SHOT shot in February. It will be called the UKPenKnife.

On the smaller version (2.5"), the plan was a single bolstered version and an FRN version. 3 blades; "leaf" (like the UKPK), warnie & lambsfoot. Blades and handles interchangable. FRN in colors (not black). Bolstered version to have different scale materials "a la Kopa", limiting each material to a predetermined number of pieces.

Today, I'm carrying a 2.5" warnie proto in blue G-10. Very "tame" looking.

I tried to have them made with one of our makers in Seki, but they weren't able to. This threw it back to Golden, and we're pretty busy in Golden right now.

I would still like to go ahead and produce the UKPK for worldwide availability and also the 2.5" version. It's just waiting for a production slot. I'm currently considering another maker. We've been calling it the "Urban". (I originally called it "Urban-Wind", which is the howling noise the wind makes when blowing through city buildings, but Joyce, Kelly and Gail absolutely forbid it saying that it sounded like a "big city fart"). So I yielded and it's currently "Urban"

We can also do a thin blade with a hole above the blade, think of a bird with a long upswept beak. It would look wierd, wouldn't be as strong, but would look smaller?

I should have more news about production some time after the SHOT show.

sal
    this is killing me...
    Alexandre.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Spyderco WTC#1978

Spyderco Forum Registered User Cameron23's Avatar

Thumbs up

I just gotta say the "big city fart" part is going to be cracking me up for an hour at least.

I also gotta say that SAL ROCKS! Name one other knifemaker who has such integral interaction with ELUs and actually listens to them with future designs, even to the point of special/sprint runs of requests. Other than custom makers, who's designs are often great, but way outpriced for someone like myself who USES their knives.

Cameron

Spyderco Forum Registered User Slvgx's Avatar
    Good find Senate. I am so excited to hear this, and I want pictures SO BADLY!
    ASA NISI MASA

Worldwide availability of my favorite EDC? 2.5" blade on my favorite EDC? Sheepsfoot, wharncliffe and leaf shapes? FRN, G-10 and bolstered? My, I count at about 12 variations there... the UKPK/Urban could be its own LINE... I've got to start saving NOW...

2/15/06 update on upcoming Models!:
    http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20111

Catamount, I think you are earning the title "troublemaker".

And Wouter, you too.

As you can see, we've been busy

Actually quite a few new models for a small company.

for a bit of an update;

1. The ZDP Delica "Sprint" is close to production.
    2. The ZDP Jess Horn FRN "Sprint" is scheduled for later in the year.
    3. The Almite CoPilot is a "Sprint" and is scheduled for later in the year *
    4. The S125 Native "Sprint" run has had a setback in the steel. (Could pospone 3 months).
    5. The ZDP Lum Chinese folder "Sprint" is scheduled for later this year
    6. The first Caly 3 is in the works (G-10, VG-10 lockback) *
    7. The "Superhawk" (TM) has a concept model *
    8. The Ed Schempp "camp Knife" is closer. Ed selected a steel. *
    9. The Chad Los Banos "Lava" has begun production. *
    10. The "P'kal is in pilot stage *

* I will have a proto to show in Leeds, Amsterdam & Nurnberg.

That's all for today.

sal

been lazy for the last month or so

2/14 Lava
    http://spyderco.com/forums/showthrea...214#post225214

Pics are not a problem if production is planned within the next 6 months.

Chad's design wasn't in the proto case, it was in the production case. The sales team was taking orders on it.

Blade steel is VG-10, size is "Navigator'ish".

One will go to Leeds, A'Dam, Nurnberg with me, the other goes to Chad.

Congrats Chad.

sal