Page 55 of 69 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1377

Thread: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Spyderco Forum Registered User FCM415's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DougC-3 View Post
    I'm sure this has been said before, but I hadn't picked up on it. One more thing making it collectible and harder to resist.
    I didn't know, this is the first time I heard it. That is awesome! CPM-CruWear Millie, come to me already!
    Upcoming: N5 CF/S110v, N5 LWT, DragonFly SB, Marcin Slysz Bowie, Farid Mehr K2, Peter Carey Rubicon, Gayle Bradley Fixed Blade, Phil Wilson Sprig, Mule Team 4V

(Some) Wishes: Native5 CHIEF, Sub 4 inch versions of the Mehr K2 and Carey Rubicon, More M4 and Use CPM-154!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by FCM415 View Post
    I didn't know, this is the first time I heard it. That is awesome! CPM-CruWear Millie, come to me already!
    What makes CPM CruWear better or special over regular CruWear?

Study up on the CPM process.

Start with this. http://www.crucibleservice.com/esele...eralpart3.html

I was looking forward to it regardless. Cruwear, it seems has improved wear resistance and toughness over D2 but with less chromium so less corrosion resistance. Now with the powdered metallurgy we get a cleaner steel with finer carbides which should translate to improved performance across the board.

Edit: Plenty of Spyderco's knives use powdered steels. Not sure what steels like S90v and M390 would be like without the process. I can explain CPM Cruwear's potential advantage this way: I like 154CM, but I love CPM154.
    Last edited by FCM415; 08-25-2013 at 03:44 AM.
    Upcoming: N5 CF/S110v, N5 LWT, DragonFly SB, Marcin Slysz Bowie, Farid Mehr K2, Peter Carey Rubicon, Gayle Bradley Fixed Blade, Phil Wilson Sprig, Mule Team 4V

(Some) Wishes: Native5 CHIEF, Sub 4 inch versions of the Mehr K2 and Carey Rubicon, More M4 and Use CPM-154!

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Glesser View Post
    HI PC,

Thanx for the kind words. Eric is in charge of flippers and I know he has some more in-the-works.

sal
    More flippers in the works eh? I'm not even into flippers per se but Spyderco has a way with things. I like my Southard AND Domino... Do your thing Eric

Spyderco Forum Registered User Cheddarnut's Avatar
    +100
    I collect knives, my knives collect dust.

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar

I was looking forward to it regardless. Cruwear, it seems has improved wear resistance and toughness over D2 but with less chromium so less corrosion resistance. Now with the powdered metallurgy we get a cleaner steel with finer carbides which should translate to improved performance across the board.

Edit: Plenty of Spyderco's knives use powdered steels. Not sure what steels like S90v and M390 would be like without the process. I can explain CPM Cruwear's potential advantage this way: I like 154CM, but I love CPM154.
    Not sure that that quantity of alloying material is possible to add without the CPM process too.
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Yeah just used those steels as an example of powder metallurgy and why we like them. Didnt mean to get scientific with steel. That is not my strong point

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Yeah just used those steels as an example of powder metallurgy and why we like them. Didnt mean to get scientific with steel. That is not my strong point
    Haha, you and me.
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

I'm excited about this Millie being the first production knife made with CPM Cruwear, and I've been a little confused about the details. Sal and Joe (The Mastiff) were discussing it on the other forum, so I (apparently lacking the gene for embarrassment) asked if one of them would explain it in "slow English" using words of one syllable or less, for us steel noobs

Well, Sal did just that!! What an accommodating man!

Crucible decided to make a billet of Cruwear using the powdered process rather than the normal ingot process. Niagara was going to roll it. The powdered process Cruwear has never been used in a production knife and is not a well known blade steel. We had it rolled for Military thickness. Niagara said that we were the first company using it in a production knife, so I shared that info because I thought Joe would appreciate that particular formula in a powdered steel.

Cruwear is another name for a steel available long ago called Vascowear. Some steel junky's like Joe (Mastiff) and I remember enjoying the steel back when Gerber made knives with it. Joe has been nagging us to make something with the steel for years.

Hope that helps.

sal
    MY SPYDIE LIST (on profile page)
    Want List: New Stretch prototype Coyote G-10 slab/ZDP test sprint!

He tested the hardness of the one he's been carrying.

Mine tested at 61.1

sal
    MY SPYDIE LIST (on profile page)
    Want List: New Stretch prototype Coyote G-10 slab/ZDP test sprint!

Quote Originally Posted by DougC-3 View Post
    He tested the hardness of the one he's been carrying.

Good reading. The most important thing I get out of it is:

Advantages of CPM

For the End User:

• Higher Alloy Grades Available
    • Improved Wear Resistance
    • Improved Toughness (less chipping)
    • Consistent Tool Performance
    • Good Grindability (on resharpening)

Spyderco Forum Registered User CarbonFiberNut's Avatar
    I think this qualifies....

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    As I understand, Eric is working on a new Chinook, probably with a caged ball lock. Any suggetions would be appreicated at this stage of development.

sal
    ◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
    ◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
    ◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Holy Snikes

As I understand, Eric is working on a new Chinook, probably with a caged ball lock. Any suggetions would be appreicated at this stage of development.

sal
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User CarbonFiberNut's Avatar
    Beat you by 8 minutes
    ◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
    ◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
    ◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Fresh Eddie Fresh's Avatar
    Wow... a Chinook with CBBL! Would that be like my Manix2 and Persian had a baby?

Hi Veloweave,

I usuallyhave a small knife with me, Manbug ZDP today. Eric and I are usually carrying and testing prptotypes. Today we are testing the Native Light weight.

sal
    oooooh

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    Nice
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

"We received some CPM-4V, enough to make a Mule Team.

sal
    "

Saw this over on BF, pretty excited if this comes out!

Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    "We received some CPM-4V, enough to make a Mule Team.

sal
    "

Saw this over on BF, pretty excited if this comes out!
    Will this be the 14 which was missed iirc or the 18 ? any heads would be appreciated .
    The 18 I can't miss what so ever !.