Thread: high end steak knives

Spyderco Forum Registered User Michael Cook's Avatar

Question high end steak knives

since spyderco makes no steak knives what do you folks reccommend for steak? I've never seen steak knives in s30v or vg-10 but that would be pretty cool!
    More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai

Spyderco Forum Registered User pjrocco's Avatar
    I used Chef Tony's Miracle Blades III. Not that great but they do a pretty good job.

I need to find me a good set... won't mind them in H1.
    Rock

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Steak knives are something that I"m wary about spending too too much on. They are abused constantly almost by definition -- always cutting on a plate that is demolishing the edge. Given that, I don't cherish re-sharpening S30V for steak knife usage. Give me reasonably good steel that can hold a serration but can be touched up on the Sharpmaker without too much trouble, and serrations with some points so only those are getting killed by the plate, and I'm pretty happy. Steak knives are so far about the only type of knife where I stick to low-end or mid-range. I'm happy with my current knives, I'll check what they are when I get home.

Joe

Spyderco Forum Registered User psimonl's Avatar
    I thought the best steak knife was a SE Mili...

But if you can get them, Sanelli makes a very fine steak knife at a very good price...(approx. 12.00$)

http://www.sanelli.com/ecommerce/VdP...ivio/MIiSNooz#

If not, Dollar store have some decent steak knive for normal use...

Simon
    "Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
    -Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
    -Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cook
    since spyderco makes no steak knives what do you folks reccommend for steak? I've never seen steak knives in s30v or vg-10 but that would be pretty cool!
    Kershaw Shun steak knives are layered VG10 I believe. They're absolutely beautiful knives.

http://www.chefsresource.com/kershaw...ak-knives.html

Spyderco Forum Registered User Stevie Ray's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Talmadge
    Steak knives are something that I"m wary about spending too too much on. They are abused constantly almost by definition -- always cutting on a plate that is demolishing the edge. Given that, I don't cherish re-sharpening S30V for steak knife usage. Give me reasonably good steel that can hold a serration but can be touched up on the Sharpmaker without too much trouble, and serrations with some points so only those are getting killed by the plate, and I'm pretty happy. Steak knives are so far about the only type of knife where I stick to low-end or mid-range. I'm happy with my current knives, I'll check what they are when I get home.

Joe
    I'll 2nd what Joe said, but take it a step further. Steak knives do get abused. They grind the plate, get picked up by mistake for other misc. kitchen duty, etc .. I'm all for buying and using an inexpensive nice looking SE set. Believe it or not, the last set I picked up was at a garage sale for $5. We've been using them for 4 years now and they are still sharp. Guess we don't eat as much steak as we should.
    Steve

Thumbs up Red Handled Spydie kitchen blade

Believe it or not I use a Red Handled Spyderco kitchen knife I bought on Ebay. It has about a 5 inch blade made with MBS-26. Like Joe Talmadge just said about one being easy to touch up with the 204 Sharpmaker. Well Spyderco kitchen knives have a wavvy serration pattern that is really easy to sharpen.

Most of the steak knives you get at stores like Bed, Bath & Beyond are nominal at best. I have a couple of German made ones I got years ago. They have good steel in them but like Joe T said they are tough to sharpen because of the tiny serration patterns.

Believe it or not there was one time I went to a friends house to eat Grilled steak. The steak knife that they gave me was as dull as a wooden nickel. I used my SE Massad Ayoob and it worked fantastic. The blade geometry was superb. Maybe the Great Spyder Factory ought to make Massad Ayoob Sirloin cutters
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User 4 s ter's Avatar
    I like the Grohmann steak knife set based on their "Trout and Bird" model.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/steaksets.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    David

"Not all who wander are lost"
    "To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
    "Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS

My SE Endura II in stainless has been regulated to "STEAK KNIFE" status since I picked up a MILITARY for EDC. Just need to get three more to hang on the magnetic strip next to it for a full set.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Hillbillenigma's Avatar
    I really like the look of the Grohmans... I wonder what the price is?

I have also considered getting a couple of the Boker Knife / Fork set , they look pretty nice and would not be too expensive to use regularly.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jaislandboy's Avatar
    I'd love to buy some H1 serrated steak knives! For now my se Pacific Salt will have to do....
    brian
    "All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."

Spyderco Forum Registered User Stevie Ray's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillenigma
    I'll bet the Grohman set runs higher than the $5 I layed down for my set of Dept Store "garage sale" specials!!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillenigma
    $364 at BladeArt

http://www.bladeart.com/production/g...n/grohmann.htm

There is a set on EBay for $279 "Buy it now"

You could always buy 6 do-it-yourself kits of the "Trout and Bird" model, make your own set, and save a bit.
    David

Question Were they worth it?

4 ster I must say that is truly the best looking set of steak knives I have ever laid my eyes upon. I have always admired Grohman's Ergonomic style. They were ergonomic before anyone knew what the term meant. But tell me Sir? Were they really worth it? And what blade steel were they made of?

I have a Kruggerand I could cash in to get a set maybe
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Quote Originally Posted by JD Spydo
    Were they really worth it? And what blade steel were they made of?
    Here's what Grohmann has to say about their blade steel:

Grohmann takes pride in their products and that means using high quality materials. Grohmann's most popular steels in the outdoor fixed blade knives are fashioned from european high carbon stainless steels, such as 4110, which is somewhat comparable to the USA 440 series. This steel has stood the test of time due to its ease of sharpening and edge holding ability. The carbon belt knives are made from a C70 type european carbon steel for the carbon-lovers out there. As any good steel goes, all knives should be kept cleaned and oiled to prevent rusting, especially the carbon steel knives. When carbon knives leave the Grohmann factory, the blades are oiled with non-toxic mineral oil and wrapped in wax paper to preserve the blades.

Other european steels somewhat comparable to AUS6 are used in the pocket and lock knives. Rockwell hardness 56-58 degrees is maintained throughout all Outdoor knives. The high carbon stainless steels used in the Kitchen Knives as well range throughout the different lines, providing a Good [poly & regular lines], Better [full tang rosewood and full tang xtra lines], and Best program [forged rosewood and forged xtra lines]. Rockwell 54-56 hardness is maintained in the Kitchen Knives.

Obviously, they're not the most exotic of steels. At about $60/knife, Grohmann knives are a good fixed blade but an expensive steak knife The design would certainly be a conversation starter around the dinner table and I like the idea of the serrated tip. Of course, the price would go up if you chose the Micarta, stag or water buffalo handles instead of rosewood

I have one of the original D.H.Russell Belt Knife designs that I have owned for over 30 years. It has skinned 2 moose so it should work well on steak too.
    David

Hi Guys
    if you are looking for classy, sharp steak knives the Laguiole make some veeeery nice ones. They also do cheaper serrated, dishwasher safe stainless ones. I'll stick with black horn handles, polished carbon steel blades and scalpel sharp plain edges.
    Phil

Spyderco Forum Registered User boxer93's Avatar
    Maybe this would be a good direction in the Byrd line Especially with the Spydie Serrations.
    Chris
    Be Excellent to each other. Chris' Q page
    WTC #242, #2223, #2225

Spyderco Forum Registered User jon shannow's Avatar
    My steak knife is my SE Salt 1
    makes a pretty good one to

better to have a knife and not need it
    than to need a knife and not have it

Spyderco Forum Registered User spyderknut's Avatar
    Spyderco's 4" Utility kitchen knives would make great steak knives. I recently purchased several of these for just $12.50 a pop. I wish I'd bought more! That said, I am also very happy with our Wustoff classics and I keep them adequately sharp with the Sharpmaker a couple of times a year and steel in between.
    "There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
    Collector #041