Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pikal Grip Observation

Spyderco Forum Registered User Lost Jaguar's Avatar
    Thanks Chris H and Mr. Talmadge. I'll give it a try. If I still don't get it, then in the words of the Governator, "Ah'll be bahck."
    Last edited by Lost Jaguar; 09-27-2005 at 06:14 AM. Reason: spelling
    Prepare for Anything, Expect Nothing

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Hi Guys, you are making me feel guilt.

The Pakal "grip" is somewhat unique as Snarc presents it. The folder specifically designed by Snarc & Trace is a very nice piece and my apologies that it isn't out yet. The "pickle" has to be made in Golden and the Golden plant has been at capacity. We're training new crew at this time, and the "Pickle" is "in process", but there's a half dozen new designs moving along with it. I would say that the model as designed by Snarc & Trace would be hard to beat for its intended purpose. There's been some discussion of a "Wave" feature, (I believe Ernest would license us to do that) but my leaning is to leave it off of the first version, or make an "add-on".

That said, The retrieving method that Joe mentioned is the one I agree works best. It's relatively foolproof with a little bit of practice. I've not used a "wave" in this manner yet, but a local aficianado has offered to demo. (I've been out of town and haven't had the opportunity to visit).

I have used an "inertia drop". I have the "pickle" proto set up in "lefty".

The new dop point version of the D'Allara works well for Pakal in the "style" of retrieval Joe mentioned. The Ball Bearing lock is just about impossible to accidentally disengage in that "grip" and the model can be set up for lefty. Traction is very good and ergos work. It is a bit larger in the pocket though.

It's a more "general use" design and would not replace the "Pickle" as the ideal piece, but it's probably worth a "look-see".

Once I've got the "Pickle" though a "pilot" stage of production, I'll show you pics.

The new Endura 4 also works well. I imagine it's possible to disengage the model in Pakal, but I've not been able to do it.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User Mr Blonde's Avatar
    The inertia opening that Sal describes is quite impressive. And in my limited handling of the proto, I managed to pick it up right away. The modified ball lock is amazing, intricated design with an action smooth as glass.

The pikal grip's system is -very- easy to master, I suspect the pikal knife will sell well to LEO and other non-martial artists who want a tool to guard their pistols from being snatched. My suggestion is to make the handle just a tad longer so the closed knife becomes a better impact tool, but I know Sal isn't big on impact tools.

Wouter
    Last edited by Mr Blonde; 10-01-2005 at 11:32 AM.

Last update: 03-21-2014 - WTC 2507 - Twitter

Mr. Glesser, I for one am very pleased to get any update on the "Pickle." I must add that, in using the official Waved Endura, and my own crude, unofficial version, and a home-waved Delica as well, I've found that it doesn't need to be set up in weak hand configuration for a reverse-grip, edge-in draw. I merely pinch the clipped knife with my thumb inside the pocket (or waistline) alongside of the zytel, and my index and middle fingers, which are outside the pocket, pressed against the clip. Then, a fast, convulsive pull upwards, and slighty outwards, produces the opened knife, and one merely has to close one's fingers to attain a "Pikal" grip. I've always thought that this was the intended draw for a Waved Endura. The inertia opening, on any knife, seems to me to require more reliance on luck. I would hope that the "Pickle" knife has a wave, but I would defer to the combined knowledge and experience of yourself, S'narc, and Mr. Rinaldi. Is your ball lock similar to the axis lock, in that the blade can be flipped open by holding back the button (or ball)? For several months after the announcement of the "Pickle," I just assumed that it would be waved, until I was told otherwise. I truly hope that it is ambidextrous in design, and I will buy at least one. The news that it will be sold in its own case, mated with a trainer, is welcome. Truly a blade to be proud of. Excuse my meandering post, but these thoughts about the "Pickle" have pre-occupied me for some time.

Thanx for sharing, Jaguar. Interesting deployment. I'll have to check that out.

FYI, Emerson knives has licensed Spyderco to make the new Endura and Delica models (4 version) with maga-waves. They will be available early next year.

sal

Jag, I'd considered and practiced that deployment for a while. I decided that for myself, ultimately the pinch grip required and the final rotation were a bit too precarious. Try it with your training partner charging you instead of in the living room and you'll see what I mean The grip I described also requires a pinch grip of sorts, alas, but it's done with all fingers on the knife and was much more secure for me. In addition, that opening has a kind of fail-safe -- if I screwed things up while opening, I would just convulsively grab the handle since all my fingers were on it already. That would put it in reverse grip edge out, which I'm not happy about, but at least it's a failsafe.

Joe

Spyderco Forum Registered User donutsrule's Avatar
    Thank you, Sal, for the Pickle update!

Lost Jaguar,
    Rest assured you are not alone in this Waved Endura confusion. The advantage of switching the clips and ending in a reverse grip edge out by using a forward wave is beyond me too. Then again I don't have a training partner willing to charge me while I grab it.

Sal,
    Just wish to thank you for making the new Enduras and Delicas in a waved version too. Will there be trainers as well?

Hi Gerard,

Emerson knives was kind enough to support us in the wave project.

There are trainers for the new Enduras/Delicas, but not with waves.

sal

Mr. Glesser--is this true that the new Enduras and Delicas will be offered in a waved version? I've dreamed of a waved, tip-up, left-handed Police model for some time, and the new Endura in stainless steel handles, waved, plain-edged, would come mighty close.

To further clarify my description of how I draw a waved knife into Pikal, I would refer to donrearic.com, and the article "Southern Comfort." The photo sequence of S'narc drawing into point-down illustrates what I meant--except I'm left-handed. The weak-hand-clip-side draw was entirely new to me. The draw S'narc performs works consistently for me. I get a 100% when the knife is clipped into the waist of sweatpants. The elastic waistband wants to grab the wave, giving an opening with a perfect thwack. But I don't wear sweats all the time, because, as Jerry Seinfeld says to George, "so, you're just giving up."

Hi Jaguar, my bad It's the FRN version that is scheduled for a wave. I imagine if the models does well and the market is there, we'd add the ss version.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User Dr. Snubnose's Avatar
    Can't Wait Sal! Thanks for the update......Doc
    "Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*