Thread: Here's a wacky idea

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Here's a wacky idea

Right now, there are big, bad, heavy Spydies with lockbacks, and there are lighter Spydies with linerlocks or compression locks. How about a big, bad, heavy Spydie with a compression lock?

The heavy ones seem to be heavy because of sturdy double steel liners, whereas the light ones have partial nested liners or no liners. So what I'm talking about is a hefty, tanklike Spydie with dual steel liners but a smooth-opening compression lock. I'm not suggesting that this be done to the Chinook--the stiff lockback is part of its character--but it could be a good recipe for a mini-Manix or something along those lines.

There are plenty of lightweight lockbacks too, so it seems like the only missing combo is a big ol' brick of a knife with a compression lock. (The ATR doesn't really fit any of these categories, I think.)

Spyderco Forum Registered User Michael Cook's Avatar
    Lil' T. It didn't sell.

I've got a Lil' Temp here, and it seems to have partial nested liners. They might not be as partial as the partial liners in some other knives, but they're definitely not the full-length, full-thickness liners of a Manix.

Great knife, BTW. Incredible ergonomics, and it allowed for the following conversation between me and my girlfriend:

Me: "Look, this knife looks like a rhino."

Her: "No. It looks like a duck."

She was right.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Slvgx's Avatar
    Well, if you break the Lil' T or PMillie than you might want to look into carrying a FB.
    ASA NISI MASA

Spyderco Forum Registered User severedthumbs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cook
    Lil' T. It didn't sell.
    Lil' T didn't sell because of the ugly, uncomfortable to many handles. The blade is great but the handles and the clip were terrible.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jaislandboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmackey
    ...so it seems like the only missing combo is a big ol' brick of a knife with a compression lock. (The ATR doesn't really fit any of these categories, I think.)
    I dunno Shmackey, I'd consider my SS ATR at over 5 ounces sort of a midsized Brick Of A Knife....I don't know the specs but its integral compression lock seems mighty strong; but I think I know what you're after...maybe a Lil' Temp with a 4 inch blade?
    brian
    "All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."

The proto of the Bison (+/- 5" folder) had a compression lock IIRC

Spyderco Forum Registered User vampyrewolf's Avatar
    Until Sal brings out the bison, the lil temp and first gen chinooks are about as strong as you'll get from a folding spydie.

If you wanna break a knife, get a fb04 perrin and take Fred up on his "offer" [or threat if you wanna take it that way] of flying and kissing anyone who breaks it in normal use... or Sal's offer to fly as see HOW the fb05 temp breaks in normal use if you manage to break one.
    Coffee before Conciousness
    Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
    Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.

Spyderco Forum Registered User skcusloa's Avatar
    It would be hard to break any spydie in normal use (cutting) You'd have to put your entire weight (and be a big person) on the front 1/3 of the blade, I have no idea what you'd be cutting to need this type of pressure, that would be consdered normal use. You'd probably hurt yourself too.

Guys... It's not about breakability. It's about the feel of the thing. The heavy, double-liner Spydies have that great bricklike heft that you can't get from a Millie or even a Lil' Temp. But they never have the compression lock.

Take the Benchmade 520, for instance. It's a solid log of a knife (could be wider though), and it has the super-slick Axis lock. Of course, it has no Spydie hole and is therefore a second-class citizen. But Spyderco could make an equivalent model. We've got heavy with lockback, light with lockback, and light with compression lock. But no heavy with compression lock.

If you're not familiar with the BM 520, consider the Kasper FF. A double-lined tank of a knife that's slick to open--and much of the character of the knife comes from that combination.

Spyderco Forum Registered User markg's Avatar
    The Gunting comes to mind. Sure the blade was not that long, but it was a pretty beefy handle, with a compression lock.

That was one scary knife...

I was just thinking that the Gunting might've been a fully double-lined Compression model.

It also just occurred to me that the Ocelot is now a double-lined lockback instead of a Compression lock, like the prototype. I wonder if there's some kind of engineering reason why you shouldn't do a fully double-lined, double-scaled knife with a Compression lock.

Spyderco Forum Registered User smcfalls13's Avatar
    Yes, the Gunting has dual full liners and a compression lock. It weighs in at about 6oz (correct me if I'm wrong) and it's solid. The blade is rather short though(designed that way for legal purposes) to be considered a "big" knife.

I'm guessing that what you want is a Manix blade mounted on a Gunting handle. Round of the horns on the handle of the G, and swap out the spoon clip for a more traditional one, and you've have a Lil' Temp on steroids (now theres a concept thats scary, the Lil' Temp was solid enough to begin with)

To my knowledge, the Gunting is the only Comp lock with dual full liners, most of the others are lockbacks.

Can't imagine what the cost of Manix/Gunting hybrid would cost to produce, but it definitely wouldn't be cheap.
    Scott

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
    -Sir Winston Churchill-

Spyderco Forum Registered User smcfalls13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmackey
    I wonder if there's some kind of engineering reason why you shouldn't do a fully double-lined, double-scaled knife with a Compression lock.
    Cost is the one thing that comes to mind. Most comp locks are present on Spyderco's higher end models(ATR, Lil Temp), and most dual full lined knives(Manix, Chinook) are also on the higher end(with the exception of the Meerkat and D'Allara)

The orginial MSRP of the Gunting was around $190 (give or take) and that blade was short. A larger blade would likely drive the cost up even more. I'd love a knife like this, but I don't think its feasible, cost wise.

But it would be a sweet knife
    Scott

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
    -Sir Winston Churchill-

Heavy Duty

I designed a knife at Sals' request that would be very close to what you are asking. I designed a lock just for the piece I called a sliding plate lock, really a variation of Blackie Collins bolt lock which is now past patent. Spyderco has prototyped the knife with a compression lock. The Prototype had 3/16 thick blade and .065 thick liners. I carried the piece for a couple of weeks. The first thing I had to learn was to keep changing pockets or I'd be walking in circles following the weight of the knife. The Spyderco proto had titanium frame compression lock which made the piece managable. The proto was on display at the Blade Show...Take Care...Ed

As Ed mentioned, we did make a "concept model" variation of Ed's "concept model". It is an awesome piece. Ed's design (pattern) was just about perfect for ergos and balance. The integral titanium compression lock version brought the weight down.

I've carried the Titanium version quite a bit and found it to be easy to carry despite its "heft.

We're currently trying to figure out how to piece in production. "in-house" name is "Tuff".

sal

Ed, Sal, that sounds terrific. Any other details, e.g., blade shape, scales, comparisons with existing knives?