Thread: Two questions please regarding H1

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Two questions please regarding H1

Does anyone know when the H-1 steel hawkbill is due for release? And, are there any plans to make any Byrd models with H-1? Maybe H-1 is something only used in Japan or it's too costly for the Byrd lineup but I'm crossing my fingers. The idea of a rust free knife sounds very appealing.

Spyderco Forum Registered User DAYWALKER's Avatar
    Sorry, but I have no answers to your two questions, but I agree completely. Living where i do, I'd love more H1 's, and an H1 Fixed Blade would be awesome as a Dive/Outdoor knife...

God bless
    Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife!

In Constant Motion: www.clbdesign.info

Hi Havatoo.

The Tazman (Salt hawkbill) is probably 90-120 days away. I'm testing the prototypes right now.

We have no plans to use H-1 in byrds.

Hi Daywalker,

We do have several fixed blades in H-1 on the boards.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User clovisc's Avatar
    last i heard, it was september or so for the tasman salt (the hawkbill) -- but who knows. could be sooner, could be later. i'd be thrilled if it suddenly, unexpectedly was released some time between now and september, so that i can have one to bring with me when i move to africa... but i don't think it's gonna happen.

as far as H1 byrds go, i doubt it'll happen. i'd imagine that it would be too tricky getting that stuff to the chinese factories producing the byrd line.

plus, the byrds are inexpensive enough that you could get one and use it while being more neglectful about keeping it totally dry... just clean it every so often, and when the rust spots show up and get annoying, take some rust remover to the blade. when it gets too messed up -- spend $20 or so to replace it.

but the salt series is really not to much more than the byrds, and is an INCREDIBLE value. you can land a salt for only about $40-50... the price of a pair of byrds.

if you decide to get a salt, try fully serrated! in my opinion, serrated H1 is nothing short of miraculous.

my yellow, serrated salt I has been in my pocket since the day i got it. for me, it is THE perfect, basic, every day carry knife!

my serrated pacific salt is the best work knife i've ever owned...

Spyderco Forum Registered User clovisc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sal
    Hi Havatoo.

Hi Daywalker,

sal
    wow -- AWESOME news!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope i can persuade someone back home to send me one when they come out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Piet.S's Avatar
    The Tazman (Salt hawkbill) is probably 90-120 days away. I'm testing the prototypes right now.

Hm, that could be around Christmas.

Spyderco Forum Registered User DAYWALKER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sal

Hi Daywalker,

sal
    Aloha Sal!

THAT is great news! It also makes a lotta sense to offer this steel to a fixed blade... Looking forward to them...

God bless and regards to the Crew!
    Chad
    Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife!

In Constant Motion: www.clbdesign.info

Thank you for the replies. Just got "into" hawkbills recently so the H-1 model looks good, the release date is perfect just in time for Christmas.