Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The influence of this forum

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jimmy_Dean's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD Spydo
    I guess I am to the point to where I need a support group.
    You know, we are that too

Spyderco Forum Registered User coffeeman's Avatar
    Great thread and question!!!

I must admit that the forum has influenced me greatly. Without it I probably would only have around 12 , instead of the 44 plus i currently own.

I also would not have taken the time to meet the Spyderco family working at this past blade show in Atlanta.

Thanks to all of you out there, I really appreciate all the great communications.
    Special thanks to Bill W. for all of his inspiration and guidance.

Do you know Bill ?

One for all and all forum one!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I am personally beyond this Forum in terms of influence.
    But you do have such an influence on the rest of us. Your obscure, extreme and classical threads had the rest of us looking all over the place for the few you don't own yet just hoping you have to sleep once in a while.
    Searching on eBay for Sowada, Zovada and all other kinds of misspelled classics just to get lucky once.
    You may be beyond this Forum but this Forum is not beyond you, Sir.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jon shannow's Avatar
    influence on buying the brand then i would have to say no as i have liked them for years
    but on certain models definatly
    there are models i wouldnt have even considered until reading reveiws and seeing some of the very good quality pictures taken buy some of the forumites

better to have a knife and not need it
    than to need a knife and not have it

Spyderco Forum Registered User rickh's Avatar
    This forum has influenced me in a big way. I've been introduced to models that I didn't know existed and learned about ones I would have never thought twice about. I'm thankful to have this forum for the great people that come here and share their thoughts and wisdom with us.
    Fall seven times, stand up eight (Japanese Proverb)

Spyderco Forum Registered User CKE's Avatar
    Like Chad said, I have more friends in cyberspace than in real life. I got more support over the last few months here than from some of my oldest friends.
    As for influence...sure, if somebody posts a really good review or a couple of sweet pics I can be swayed easily. I had NO interest in the Salts now I have a Pacific and will eventually get a Yellow Salt 1. The Millie was a big one. I had a Starmate and thought a Millie would be obsolete as it is "generally" the same knife. Mistake! The Millie has been my longest running EDC because of this forum. Take Care and good thread!!!
    Keep Fighting the Good Fight!

Lots of influence on me as well. It's definitely made me look at stuff I probably wouldn't have even considered. The reviews and opinions have been great in making an informed decision on the "next one".

- gord

Spyderco Forum Registered User VWTattoo's Avatar

Thumbs up You bet I am influenced!

This board and the community of aficionadoes, scholars, and end users from all walks of life are a large influence on the appeal of Spyderco as a whole. I read more posts and research model history, variations, and the attitudes of those who have carried a model for a while, so that I have an even finer level of appreciation for a knife once I get a hold of one.

Not only do I learn about the knives that Spyderco makes, but I find that I learn a lot about the daily lives of others who share my passion for the balde. Not to get philosophical or anything, but having a place like the Forum, where the manufacturers are listening and contributing to discussions, asking for criticisms, and areas that need improvement makes this more of a community than other cyber-doms. You all rock!

I also find that when I get on my own case about being such a knife knut, I can always read about those who have it worse than I do! You know who you are!!
    Last edited by VWTattoo; 07-30-2005 at 10:41 AM. Reason: grammar... and grammpa
    2004 VW R32
    Got GIN-1?

Well I must admit that this forum influences me a great deal.

I can get sincere, knowledgable feedback on designs and products that I simply cannot get from ELUs except at shows.

So we really appreciate your interest and effort.

Hi Michael, say hi to Steph.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User VWTattoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sal

I can get sincere, knowledgable feedback on designs and products that I simply cannot get from ELUs except at shows.

sal
    This is exactly my point! Kudos to you, Sal! Feel proud about your many successes and innovations in the industry!

BTW- I have one of your "old" denim embroidered shirts, and I love it-Fits great! Thanks!
    2004 VW R32
    Got GIN-1?

Spyderco Forum Registered User smcfalls13's Avatar

Influences...

I may not be the most vocal member of this forum, but I will still agree that this forum is an excellent place to learn. Before I found this forum, I would buy a knife purely based on visual appeal, with little regards as to constructions, ergos, blade steel, durability, and intended use. This left with me with several very attractive, but utterly useless knives that nearly cost me fingers on several occasions.

After finding this forum, and lurking for a while, I made my first purchase with a Native III CE. I loved it, and have since bought many more. This forum is a pleasure to be around. Exceptionally informative, and very friendly. I look forward to many more fiscally irresponsible purchases to share with the forum

Thumbs up Time now: For a new Hawkbill????

Quote Originally Posted by sal

sal
    Mr Glesser if that is indeed true and I know you are a man of great integrity: Then how has the Thread>> Now's the Time: For a New Hawkbill--- How Sir has that thread persuaded you or dissuaded you. I hope it is the first rather than the later. And Sir what do you think about the idea of a possible Hawkbill video to educate the public as to the overall usefullness of that tool/knife. Mr. Glesser I can't even begin to tell you how much this Forum has changed my life and my attitude towards knives in such a profoundly positive way.

Sir with the suggestions on the Hawkbill thread ( and they are only suggestions) we mean well for the company but would like to see some moves in that area of extreme interest. The Hawkbill in my opinion is a tool with unlimited possibilities in the scope of occupational uses. In my viewpoint Spyderco is the number 1 commercial knife company out there in terms of innovation, quality and being customer friendly. My desire is to see the company out so far ahead that there is not even a "close second" within view. GOD Bless you and yours Sir along with the company JD O
    Last edited by JD Spydo; 07-30-2005 at 12:31 PM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jenner 515's Avatar
    Heck yeah I'm influenced by this forum...my spydie collection grew from one little ssNative PE, to over thirty different cutting tools, I now know what EDC, FRN, G10, VG10, Aus-6,8 &10 are. I can find Seki City Japan on a map, have been to the SFO, (when it was in Wheatridge) and even sent my resume because of this forum.
    I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Vincent's Avatar
    I dont think so, I am still consitant with only 2 knives . My brother also has 1. I dont plan to ever buy another knife, other than my para and Militray. maybe somday or maybe for Christmas, but not really with my own money.

Because of this forum I spent a lot of money on knives, not to say QUALITY knives. People here helped me to make better choices.

Spyderco make me really happy

I'm only missing D2 steel, but I really think that ZDP-189 will fill that gap.

Thanks Sal!

Nick
    .:: TheNick ::.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Vincent's Avatar
    Hopefully it will be a great steel

Having only joined the forum a few days ago, I'd say it's been a great place to get info, opinions,some educated ones, and I will own at least 4 new spydercos by next week..can't go wrong with that .
    Mr. Doc