Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Navigator II has landed...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Michael Cook's Avatar

Smile

Thanks Paul! I've learned a lot about spyderco from you, I'll be shocked if you're not one of the "lucky 15"
    More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai

Spyderco Forum Registered User Senate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cook
    I'll be shocked if you're not one of the "lucky 15"
    I'll be shocked if he's not in the first or second position...
    Alexandre.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Spyderco WTC#1978

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    As for the Evrina Kopa... It will just be perfect! The only thing I'm not really sure is how white mine will be.
    Between cameras, monitors, eyewear and lighting, gauging any color can difficult. Perhaps the shot below, with white styrofoam, which I consider to be about as close to "dead white" as you'll ever get, as the background, will give you a better idea of the relative whiteness of the Evrina.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User CKE's Avatar
    Thanks for the pics Paul. Sorry to hear about the Evrina, me, I am waiting for a Jigged Bone version(I hope). The Nav II looks good and I am sure Sal will take you comment to where it needs to go Take Care!!!
    Keep Fighting the Good Fight!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Hi Deacon,

I guess we'll just have to make a Kopa with "old" ivory in the future. In the meanwhile, I'll see Linda Karst in Orlando next weekend at the Guid show.

Perhaps you will permit me the honor of scrimming your Kopa (on me), your choice of subject matter?

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sal
    Hi Deacon,

I guess we'll just have to make a Kopa with "old" ivory in the future. In the meanwhile, I'll see Linda Karst in Orlando next weekend at the Guid show.

Perhaps you will permit me the honor of scrimming your Kopa (on me), your choice of subject matter?

sal
    Hi Sal,

While I think "old" ivory, either pre-ban or ancient, would be great, I also realize it would up the cost considerably and might be difficult, even impossible, to acquire in the quantity needed for a run of Kopas. It just seems to me that plain white cow bone would be inexpensive, natural, and present as good or better a canvas for scrimming than any man made substance. Not sure what the characteristics of bison bone are, but if it compares favorably for density and strength with cow bone, it might be add a "western" flavor (I say that even though I'll be grilling a burger for dinner made from bison raised not ten miles from where I live).

As for your kind offer, I thank you very much for it. I'd be an idiot to refuse, so just let me know where to send the knife.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Hi Deacon,

When ivory was banned, the Japanese culture, which depended heavily on ivory, was left in quite a lurch.

It seems that the Japanese businessmen used ivory to carve their signature stamps. The demand was high, and there was nothing in the world that behaved quite like ivory.

Evrina was invented as the ideal human-made replacement for ivory and was the only "perfect" material. Unfortunately the material cost quite a bit to make and the entire project was disbanded.

We were able to purchase the remaining Evrina for the Kopa. (should be enough for the run, or maybe a little under). Cow bone or other human-made materials just won't carve and show as well.

On the knife, you'll probably send it directly to Linda, I'd like to make arrangements with her first. I'll let you know next week.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User Vincent's Avatar
    I also like the ivory look

Spyderco Forum Registered User dialex's Avatar
    Hi Paul, congratulations on your new knives and thanks for the pics.
    Now... may you all forgive me, but the G-10 Navi is still "the one" for me...
    The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.

the ivory will look more natural and unique of course

the navi is weird with that blade not fully grinded but it's still a nice small EDC and who can complain about VG-10? :P
    .:: TheNick ::.

Paul, make sure to post plenty of pics of that scrimmed Kopa once you get it!
    Nice Navigator II ! - I just checked the proto pictures, and as far as I can see it was full flat ground on the proto.
    The grind on the bolstered+wood proto (!) however looks the same as yours. Talking about that model.
    Sal, any chance of that one coming out soon?! ( with California Buckeye Burl please... )

Sal,

Do you still plan on doing the Navigator II with a bolster and wood handles?