Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swick (refined SPOT) update

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    trailmix,
    An inverted hawkbill? Great idea! I was thinking that the new Pikal project would be a candidate for tip-blunting and using for a rescue knife. I am glad to know that I am not the only paddler that thinks the handles on most rescue knives are "upside-down". Please keep us posted.

Thom

Spyderco Forum Registered User trailmix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thom lambert
    trailmix,
    An inverted hawkbill? Great idea! I was thinking that the new Pikal project would be a candidate for tip-blunting and using for a rescue knife. I am glad to know that I am not the only paddler that thinks the handles on most rescue knives are "upside-down". Please keep us posted.

Thom
    you're exactly right. forever, the world of whitewater has not had a knife made for it, just a knife adapted from something else and shoved on us with a blunted tip and a rescue name. all of the perrin-inspired knives so far have been wrong. it is as if no one ever stopped and asked, "is this how you guys use it?" because there would have been a resounding "NO!" or the many dive knives. i'm not a diver, that's not the knife i need.

anywho, for the test pieces, we're leaving it pointy. though there is a greater chance of getting poked, since this is the only knife i carry on the river, i need it to be able to pierce rafts as well as other materials. it's a big boys tool, maybe we'll blunt the tip for 1st year raft guides.
    kevin

Spyderco Forum Registered User dialex's Avatar
    A reversed hawkbill! It makes sense. Now as I think it seems the logical (and the best) choice, but I was obstructed by the "classic" looks
    The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.

the idea is that "rescue" cuts are made away from the victim, therefore toward the rescuer, therefore they are pull cuts. by inverting the cutting surface, essentially putting it on top, the handle ergonomics remain, as opposed to being lost with such knives as the bear claw. therefore, the blade can be slide from the bottom underneath whatever needs cutting (let's say a rope wrapped around someone) and the blade pulled away while still offering outstanding grip on the tool.

it's so darn simple, but it is counter-intuitive to one of the knife handling laws, always cut away from you.

glad you guys are interested in the idea. thanks.
    kevin

sounds like a good seller to me.

Red face my apologies; late reply...

I’m in for a (Warncliffe) Swick...would like to see it serrated, but I’ll get 1 regardless.

Would also like to see pix of the rescue-Swick ASAP...sounds kewl.

my thanx…death-bringah

I always wanted to get a Spot, but kept putting it off. This one I will not put off, in fact I will pre-order if that becomes an option.

I am not knowlegeable enough about sheath design to make informed comments, however the idea of a simpler (and lower cost) sheath drilled/cut/etc for modification by the ELU sounds like a really good idea. I like the idea of being able to add my own mini tek lock if I choose, though I suspect that it would probably be my first neck carry knife.

I am curious, however - won't that drilling and slotting, also increase costs?

I did say that I am in for one, no matter the decision on the sheath, didn't I?

Chuck
    There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Spyderco Forum Registered User Dr. Snubnose's Avatar
    Sal I'm for keep it simple as far as the sheath goes...I personally would like to see a longer blade 2.5 or 2.75.....but I'll get one anyway, regarless of blade size....sounds cool.....Doc
    "Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*

Quote Originally Posted by death-bringah
    Would also like to see pix of the rescue-Swick ASAP...sounds kewl.
    as soon as i have the prototypes, you had better believe that there will be photos. my testers are lined up and chomping at the bit.

thanks for the interest.
    kevin

Looking forward to it...best of luck with this new design!

my thanx...death-bringah

Spyderco Forum Registered User Irish Lager's Avatar
    alright,
    i think i have to agree w/ Doc Snubnose on this, i would like a bit longer blade, but i will buy regardless. Sheath should be Kydex w/ tec lock, and obviously neck carry option. But like i said, S30V would be ideal. However i would buy one if it were VG-10 or H1. But if it is Aus-6, i wouldnt be as interested. I personally want better than Aus-6 for a SD based knife, just my thoughts.
    J
    Say what you mean, Mean what you say!

There are 500 pcs in grinding now.

Sheath will be simple, no neck carry, no tek-lock, but holes to fit tek-lock.

S30V, full flat, stone-wash finish, plain edge.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User 4 s ter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sal
    Another one for the "soon" list

David
    David

"Not all who wander are lost"
    "To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
    "Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS

Spyderco Forum Registered User Dr. Snubnose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sal

Sheath will be simple, no neck carry, no tek-lock, but holes to fit tek-lock.

S30V, full flat, stone-wash finish, plain edge.

sal
    That's fine by me Sal...as long as the sheath has holes I can slip paracord through and slide on my belt....I'm sold.......Doc
    "Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*

Spyderco Forum Registered User RLR's Avatar
    Sounds great - let me know when they are available.

RLR

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jim Malone's Avatar
    Will they only be avialable thru the Spyderco shop, or will they go to the online retailers also?
    It's better to be judged by 12 then to be carried by 6

Spyderco Forum Registered User Irish Lager's Avatar
    sounds great. cant wait to see them. thanks again,
    J
    Say what you mean, Mean what you say!

Spyderco Forum Registered User idj's Avatar
    It's a model/style I'd like to see, too. Put me down for one! (You obviously won't have a problem getting that run of 500 out the door! )

idj

Talking

Wow, man...that was a lot quicker than I thought it would be...I guess the 1-peice construction allows it to be produced a little faster, not that a lot of thought and research didn't go into it.

I've never felt that I "just have to have" a Spyderco that was so "exclusive" before. If there are only 500 being made, is there a way to "reserve" 1 for little ol' me? Will these be available from Spyderco only?

Most importantly: When and how much?

my thanx...death-bringah

I echo the sentiments, especially the 'Can I reserve (at least) one?' question. I'm just a touch worried about availability as I don't live in the US.

Can't wait! This is my ideal work knife
    Dave.