Page 63 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 2146

Thread: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Axlis,

Extrema Ratio is an Italian-based company that makes, amongst other things, very overbuilt knives. Their folding knives are 0.23" thick and sabre-flat ground so that most of the blade is close to 0.23" thick. Also very heavy and with poor cutting ability on materials that most Spyderco knives sail through (personal experience speaking there). Very neat knives, but not my cup of tea.

I think if we keep the ultra heavy-duty rated Ball-Bearing Lock, 3.5" blade, premium steel, and G-10 scales, but drop the 4mm thickness, we should be able to beg for a hawkbill that's very sleek and capable for the MBC'ers and very handy for the rest of us, too. I think that using the Ball-Bearing Lock (the most popular in the lock poll) would make the knife more amenable to a fine-grained non-stainless steel (they are legion), too. If we're willing to trade concerns of corrosion with concerns of having a durable edge that is less than 30 degrees, several tool steels would work great (though not D2 so much).
    "I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

SUPERHAWK, H1 SPYDERHAWK, Left-Handed MILITARY, GAYLE BRADLEY Folder, Carbon Fiber/S90V Para 2, and Yojimbo 2 thanks to spydercovt.com!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Axlis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD Spydo
    My interpretation of the term "Super Tanker Hawkbill" has to do with putting the proposed knife into a category similar to that of the Manix, Chinook I & II, Persian, C-46 Bob Lum and so forth. I was in no way, shape or form trying to suggest anything that would supersede, alter or change the tradition in which Spyderco knives are built. :
    This is what I assumed we were discussing too JD, just a Hawkbill with an MBC rated lock and a bit more beef! I know I was rather late in jumping on the "Hawkbill Wagon", but I now see the demand for such a knife is there in the user community. I ask you Sal to tell us more of your thoughts, if we are going in the wrong direction with something.
    When you've got a Delica and a Dodo, everything else is just eye-candy!

Spyderco Forum Registered User pjrocco's Avatar

Thumbs up Never to late!

Quote Originally Posted by Axlis
    I know I was rather late in jumping on the "Hawkbill Wagon"
    It is never to late if you really want something. Please keep adding your thoughts and comments.
    Rock

Spyderco Forum Registered User zenheretic's Avatar

The Power of a Name

This just reinforces how powerful a name can be even for a concept model named only amongst the designers, who utilize a name only to distinguish from the other designs they have in mind.

Just a hurdle as he didn't say never.
    Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

I've been following the thread for a while. MBC (very heavy duty) lock is not a problem. I guess it is my "meaning" of "tank".

We spent a great deal of time and effort to take 2 ounces out of the Chinook. With skeletonized liners, etc., I guess I don't consider the Chinook or Manix a "tank". When I think of "tank", I think of big, heavy armor plate on wheels. A "super tanker" is just bigger, heavier, with more armor plate.

The Hawkbill design that I came up with will be strong and functional, but I will try to make it as light as I can without sacrificing strength. Too heavy does not get carried. Not being carried means its usefulness is gone. Relegated to being a "showcase queen".

I thought that we might be going off into the "heavy" direction and wanted to clarify.

sal

Quote Originally Posted by sal
    I thought that we might be going off into the "heavy" direction and wanted to clarify.

sal
    As for heavy.. Who really wants a brick in their pocket?

I would love to see something in the ways of the Para when it comes to weight...If that is to light for what we want.. Then the Manix or Manix 80mm is perfect. I guess with the four hawkbill designs we have seen so far from Spyderco (Spyderhawk, Merlin, Harpy and Tasman).. We have never had a "Heavy duty" hawkbill with a "strong lock" (MBC rated) and G10 scales.
    Rock

Spyderco Forum Registered User Hannibal Lecter's Avatar

Talking Not Here...

My Esteemed Mr. Glesser,

I've been following the thread for a while. MBC (very heavy duty) lock is not a problem. I guess it is my "meaning" of "tank".
    MBC-rating is my primary concern in this project.

We spent a great deal of time and effort to take 2 ounces out of the Chinook. With skeletonized liners, etc., I guess I don't consider the Chinook or Manix a "tank". When I think of "tank", I think of big, heavy armor plate on wheels. A "super tanker" is just bigger, heavier, with more armor plate.
    This is going to be a fun project to see come to fruition...

The Hawkbill design that I came up with will be strong and functional, but I will try to make it as light as I can without sacrificing strength. Too heavy does not get carried. Not being carried means its usefulness is gone. Relegated to being a "showcase queen".
    Exactly! I don't mind being cognizant of carrying a knife by awareness of its weight, but something along the lines of the aforementioned Extrema Ratio is out of the question. It is like carrying a knife strapped to a brick.

You have in your mind the ideal, Good Sir. Please take it and run with it!

Warmest regards...

--------
    Hannibal
    ---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."

Sal

Thanks for clarifying what you meant Sal, you had me worried! I agree totally about the weight issue, which is just one reason I buy into Spyderco, I know that a strong MBC rated hawkbill done the Spyderway will rule the market. You say that you don't consider the Manix or Chinook to be "tanks" but I do have to disagree! Those models, along with the Para and Millie, define the word "super tanker" in my dictionary. Thank you for following this thread, and please consider this one last point: Purple G-10 would look awesome!

Light as a Ladybug, strong as a Manix, cute as a purple Poliwog, slick as a D'Allara Rescue, and slim as a Stretch. With some folks here also wanting the knife as American as a Glesser. And with a UKPK-style clip, please.

SUPERHAWK, H1 SPYDERHAWK, Left-Handed MILITARY, GAYLE BRADLEY Folder, Carbon Fiber/S90V Para 2, and Yojimbo 2 thanks to spydercovt.com!

Quote Originally Posted by thombrogan
    Light as a Ladybug, strong as a Manix, cute as a purple Poliwog, slick as a D'Allara Rescue, and slim as a Stretch. With some folks here also wanting the knife as American as a Glesser. And with a UKPK-style clip, please.
    hahaha... I like that...
    Rock

Coming right up Thom.

The UK clip is in the plan.
    Dual skeletonized stainless liners.
    3.5" blade, 4mm thick full flat (well almost full flat, I designed in a small swedge).

Hoping for a concept model at SHOT.

sal

Yay! First the Tasman Salt and now this! Thanks, Sal!

The UKPK clip will go great with the knife having purple G-10. Otherwise, we'd have to dig out Prince and the Revolution outfits for the knife to blend in (not that I'd mind... ...the click of a locking hawkbilled is better than what it sounds like when doves cry).

Alright! Woohoo!

This is great news. I can not wait to see what the UKPK clip looks like on the "tanker".

Thanks Sal.

*Does a little dance*
    Rock

Spyderco Forum Registered User BlackNinja's Avatar

Thumbs up

Coming right up Thom.

3.5" blade, 4mm thick full flat (well almost full flat, I designed in a small swedge).

sal
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!YES !!!!!!!!YES!!!!!!!!
    Thank You for the Great news, Sal.

Thanks for the thread, JD!!!
    Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh;
    Let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones;
    Let him fracture your bones and you take his life!
    -Bruce Lee-
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

-Joe

Spyderco Forum Registered User smcfalls13's Avatar
    Coming right up Thom.

sal
    Sounds good to me. It only needs enough weight to fill the hand, too much, and it becomes a burden on my overly worked pocket
    Scott

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
    -Sir Winston Churchill-

Spyderco Forum Registered User Hannibal Lecter's Avatar

Talking Wow...

My Esteemed Mr. Glesser,

Coming right up Thom.

sal
    I could hardly be more pleased! Thank you so much for making this happen!

--------
    Hannibal
    ---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."

Spyderco Forum Registered User Dodge's Avatar
    Coming right up Thom.

sal
    ThanQ Sal, It sounds like your right on track w/ us, I appreciated this a lot. It means the world to us to be involved (speaking personally). I hope it empowers the uber useful nature of every Spyder and the spirit of this thread.... ThanQ again
    "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"

Spyderco Forum Registered User zenheretic's Avatar
    I haven't seen JD respond to this great news...one has to assume he is still passed out with pleasure...perhaps drool oozing onto his keyboard. IF anyone knows him well enough to have his phone number, perhaps you could give him a ring and see if he is still cognisant.
    Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

Quote Originally Posted by zenheretic
    I haven't seen JD respond to this great news...one has to assume he is still passed out with pleasure...perhaps drool oozing onto his keyboard. IF anyone knows him well enough to have his phone number, perhaps you could give him a ring and see if he is still cognisant.
    He's probably been out running naked through the streets, Spyderhawk in each hand, proclaiming the wonders of the coming purple hawkbill!!!

Or maybe just at work

I hope no one is running around naked carrying Spydercos of any kind. I know medical expenses are astronomical, but no one needs to luck into a tonsilectomy.