Thread: Bob Lum Review

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Bob Lum Review

Hello all,

I went to a gun show on friday and came back with a new in the box Bob Lum folder with a titanium handle and combo edge. I played with it for a bit and it looked great except for a few marks on the titanium handle and it looked as if there was still marks near the tip of the blade from the apple seed grind. The guy who sold it to me said most of the knives came like that new in the box so I didn't worry about it, it's still a great looking knife and I love the way the tip is ground. Plus I had to get myself another liner-lock that I can take apart ever since I got my Bob T. So I bought it for $190 Canadian which is about $156 US.

Then on the way home I was playing with it again and I gave it a good shake to see how much force to get the blade past the ball bearing on the liner lock. Then for some reason after that the knife became increasingly harder to move on the pivot. When I got home I decided to see what was wrong. I took out the pivot and found out a bit of metal somehow got inbetween the pivot and the blade and started grinding a groove in the pivot. I used some emery cloth to sand down the pivot pin slowly. Once that was done I put the pin back in, for some reason that is one tight fit to get the pin back in the handle.

Another thing I noticed when putting the pivot pin back is that is seems to go in backwards because the notch for keeping the pin stationary is on the opposited handle slab. I figured it would be like my Bob T and have the notch in the handle slab on the side you push the pin in first. I also found out there wasn't any oil on the pivot at all, but I added some when I put everything back together.

So after all that it seems to be working fine, but I'll probably call Spyderco and see if I can get another pivot pin cause I also need some clip screws for a couple of knives. The only dissapointment I have with the knife now is that the blade is off center where it is almost touching the liner and I think it might be touching when opening the knife with one hand. It bugs me because I never checked if the blade was off-center when I had it at the gun show.

I guess I'd just like to ask any other Bob Lum owners if they've had any of the same problems, especially the off-center blade, and I'd also like to know the MSRP for the titanium and G-10 handled Bob Lums.

PS: Here's some quick pics. Oh and I'd just like to say I love that apple seed grind on the tip!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool Bob Lums are A-1

I have that same knife you got and I love it very much. I also have that same knife with a G-10 handle and a black coated blade. I have 8 Bob Lum knives in all and they are in my permanent collection. I truly wish that Mr. Lum and Mr. Glesser would kindly get back to the drawing board.

Spyderco Forum Registered User swede's Avatar
    Hello Kev,
    I have this model, although PE. Sounds like your pivot problems may need attention from Spyderco repair dept. Regarding the scratches on the blade tip, mine has a few too, but not as pronounced as yours. My blade is dead-center. The Ti handle is softer than one expects, and it does pick up scratches easily. I think the surface is bead-blasted for good grip (which it does have).
    Anyway, I wouldn't try too much do-it-yourself on that pivot. Send it in!
    Dave

Spyderco Forum Registered User DAYWALKER's Avatar
    Aloha!

Very nice pics there! I HAD a PE model like the one you just got, but I gave it to a good brother of mine in Cali' for building me a guitar! Mine was "smooth as greased glass" when opening, and I do kinda miss it...but the guitar I got is killer!!! Just wish I knew how to play this wicked 6 string! LOL! Getting there...

God bless
    Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife!

In Constant Motion: www.clbdesign.info

Spyderco Forum Registered User 4 s ter's Avatar
    konstantkev

The Ti Lum Tanto folder is one of my favorite s. I have the PE version.

The blade on mine centers when closed. However, I'm not surprised that your's does not center after disassembly and sanding (even lightly) of the pivot pin.

A blade tip that isn't quite centered in the handle when closed is really more comsmetic than a functional concern - as long as the blade doesn't rub the liners or scales. The lock-up when open is the major concern.

Enjoy!

David
    David

"Not all who wander are lost"
    "To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
    "Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS

Spyderco Forum Registered User davec's Avatar
    Great pics, konstantkev. Agree that Lum and Spyderco are a match made in heaven. I'd love to see the return of the Chinese folder.

Question PE vs SE

Say guys is it true that the PE version of the Ti Bob Lum Folder is much more rare than the combo edge that I have? Also I just picked up another Bob Lum Chinese last night on Ebay. I had to stay up till 2:00am to get it but I am glad I did Also the Black G-10 handled one I got I have been trying to find another one of them so I can have one to carry. I am having a much harder time finding the black G-10 Version than I did the 2 Ti versions I have.
    Last edited by JD Spydo; 03-28-2005 at 06:03 AM.

Bob Lum Review

The Bob Lum with the G-10 handles is my favorite Spyderco model!

That knife features an adjustable pivot pin making the lock adjustable. I have seen a couple of my models with the blade a little off center as you describe & pictured. I suggest you try closing the blade and loosening the pivot screw. While it is loose, push the blade all of the way to the other side (against the opposite liner) & tighten the pivot again. On the ones that I have this has solved the blade out of center problem.

The scratches on the 'appleseed' grind are normal. You can remove them with a lether strop imbedded polishing compound.

I too would like to see other collaborations with Bob Lum!

Enjoy!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Mr Blonde's Avatar
    I kinda like the looks of the Lum Tanto, but how does it cut? Have any of you found the tanto tip to offer advantages in specific or ordinary utility cutting chores?

And I definitely second the motion that Mr. Lum and Glesser should be put behind a drawing board again!

Thanks,

Wouter

Last update: 03-21-2014 - WTC 2507 - Twitter

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BladeWarrior
    The Bob Lum with the G-10 handles is my favorite Spyderco model!

That knife features an adjustable pivot pin making the lock adjustable. I have seen a couple of my models with the blade a little off center as you describe & pictured. I suggest you try closing the blade and loosening the pivot screw. While it is loose, push the blade all of the way to the other side (against the opposite liner) & tighten the pivot again. On the ones that I have this has solved the blade out of center problem.

The scratches on the 'appleseed' grind are normal. You can remove them with a lether strop imbedded polishing compound.

I too would like to see other collaborations with Bob Lum!

Enjoy!!
    Bladewarrior I can say with absolute certainty that your taste in knives is flawless: That's because you agree with me . You're not kidding about that Bob Lum G-10 Tanto with the black ATS-55 blade being a winner. I think it should go into the Spyder Gallery "HALL OF FAME" on the first vote.
    I want another one of them so bad. I have to have one for my permanent collection and one to carry on fine/special occasions. That is the kind of knife you would carry to weddings, 4 star restaurants, Graduations, retirement parties ect. Every once in a while there will be a knife that will put me in a state of awhhhh!!! and that Black G-10 Bob Lum is truly a home run with the bases loaded in my books. Thank you all JD 'O

Thanks for all the replies.

Everyone seems to have the PE version I wanted. I would rather have gotten a PE one, but they only had the CE. The main reason I don't like the CE is because I find it harder to sharpen my Bob T C15 CE. But this one is still great.

A blade tip that isn't quite centered in the handle when closed is really more comsmetic than a functional concern - as long as the blade doesn't rub the liners or scales. The lock-up when open is the major concern.
    The blade doesn't seem to hit the liner when I close it, but when opening it might be hitting the liner when I put pressure on the blade from opening with my thumb. I haven't been able to find out a way to see if it actually is hitting the liner when opening.

I suggest you try closing the blade and loosening the pivot screw. While it is loose, push the blade all of the way to the other side (against the opposite liner) & tighten the pivot again. On the ones that I have this has solved the blade out of center problem.
    I tried this after I read it but it didn't make a difference, as I tighten the pivot the blade slowly moves back to where it was. But thanks for the tip anyway.

I'll probably order a new pivot pin from Spyderco and try it out, but if that doesn't help I might send to Spyderco for them to look at.

Lum Ti

I have had several G10 Lum tanto's and still have one in my collection. I decided to get a Lum Ti from PVKW several years ago and I guess that I was lucky enough to get a perfect knife. This knife is so polished that it looks like a custom and the blade centers perfectly. Just my 2 cents worth.

Does anyone know the MSRP for the G-10 and Titanium handled Bob Lums when they came out?