Thread: Razor Edge Systems

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Razor Edge Systems

On this form I know the 204 rules(and rightly so) but does anyone have any experiance with Razor Edge hones or guides? I know the book is highly reguarded. How about the rest of their products?

Hi LJK. If you haven't read John's Book, I suggest you do. It's a good read. I don't agree with everything he says, but that's what makes horse races and discussion possible. The more you learn about knives and edges, the more you can appreciate the "knife".

I use his "butcher steels", but I've removed them from his holder and place them in the slots of the ceramic. They work very well.

Using his clamp will help you understand free hand sharpening. Ultimately, you will want to learn to sharpen free hand just for the knowledge and experience. Kind of like learning how to shave with a sgtraight razor.

sal

Sal, Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it. I just purchased John's book. Round hole rules.

LJK,

I own one (and an Edge Pro Apex too) and I am a bit of a sharpening freak. I suggest you read my review linked below, they're excellent systems. Basically, the 204's competitors can't do a complex edge and cut deeper and so could damage a blade if poorly used. On the other hand they will put a perfect, reproducible angle on with every stroke and will achieve a truly mirror finished edge.

A brief summary of the highlights of each system for comparison (see the detailed reviews linked):

Sharpmaker 204
    ==============
    Stones - Cuts lightly, even on the coarse stone, so less likely to badly damage an expensive knife
    Guide - Puts a reasonably consistent edge on without much practice. Versatile system that can handle, convex, serrated and recurved blades
    Needs - Buy the diamond stones if you need to rework a really hard steel; also get a RAZ-R EDGE steel from Razor Edge Systems
    Value for money - Excellent, but diamond sticks expensive
    Summary - Great for collectors to maintain an edge. Recommended by Chris Reeve and many other makers.

Razor Edge Systems Deluxe Pro Kit
    =================================
    Stones - Lovely 8", flat dry hones. One real coarse to cut fast and one very fine (like the 204 whites) to finish
    Guide - Clip on. Not as easy to fit and use as I'd like. Some skill involved. No serrations, or recurves
    Needs - Nothing. Steel and edge tester included
    Value for money - Double the price of the 204
    Summary - Definately a professional kit. This is what I'd take if I was sharpening in a meat packing plant. Can mar the blade if not careful, but who gives a __ in a packing plant?

Edge Pro (Apex and Pro)
    =======================
    Stones - Wet stones. Wears faster than the 204 and thinner than the R.E.S. hones
    Guide - Lansky-style, but blade not clamped
    Needs - You must buy the upgrade kit if you get the Apex. Also the steel would be nice
    Value for money - Double the price of the 204, then add the upgrade kit
    Summary - A professional kit. Awesome edge. The one to pick if you're a hobbyist maker

So, it really depends on the kind of user you are. Note that my comments above are from personal experience sharpening fewer than 10 knives on each. A proper scientific test will be carried out in the linked competition.

Contact me on the BritishBlades.com forum if you need more help.

REVIEW: Razor Edge Systems Deluxe Pro Kit and Mousetrap Steel - First Impressions

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2270

REVIEW (by Cones): Full posted Review EdgePro Professional

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1370

DETAILS: Sharpening System Competition

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2302

ZDP-189
    Thanks. Thats just the info I was hoping someone would provide. I to have the 204 and Edge Pro. I also am quite the sharping enthusiast. You'd think after purchasing the upgrade kit for my Edge Pro I'd be happy, but my quest for the perfect edge continues... excuse me I think I hear the Razor Edge System calling my name ...