PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a knife like the Ka-bar TDI

tacticooledc
06-15-2011, 08:49 AM
I would LOVE a spydie with the handle and blade shape of the ka-bar TDI law enforcement. I just handled one in person today, amazing feel but the clip was leaking grease and falling apart....I would like one of those spydie G-clips for the belt, and a 2-3 inch blade. Does anything like that exist?

If not, what would be the ideal spydie to grind down to that shape and mod the handle to be smaller? Preferrably fixed blade by the way :cool:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31E-QaZTBuL._SX342_.jpg

jossta
06-15-2011, 08:57 AM
I can't think of a single Spydie fixed blade that is similar to that, but maybe the Ronin?. Mules are pretty small too.

For folders, maybe the Karambit...

jwingfie
06-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Maybe you can get your hands on a Swick or Swick 2

dd61999
06-15-2011, 09:18 AM
The swick, spot, and Lava all have short negative blade angles like the tdi

tacticooledc
06-15-2011, 09:18 AM
actually the spyderco swick looks pretty much like what I would want. Does anyone know of any other, more *cough cough* quality brands than ka-bar that would make this sort of a knife?

Jordan
06-15-2011, 09:34 AM
TDI stands for Tactical Defense Institute, which is run by John Brenner out of Ohio. He designed the knife, along with a ton of similar variants for Ka-Bar... but I don't think he's done any work with any other companies. If you want to go a bit more upscale than Ka-Bar, I'd check out Dirk Pinkerton or Shivworks. They both specialize in small FBs like that. To my knowledge, neither has that exact pattern in their lineup (although Mr. Pinkerton states on his website that he'll does take one-off jobs sometimes), you might find a similarly purposed knife that you like there.

As far as Spyderco goes... I can't think of any currently existing designs that really resemble that, or could really resemble that without a serious amount of modification. I suppose the blade angle on the balance is out in that direction... have you checked that out?

EDIT: Good call dd, forgot about those.

pmbspyder
06-15-2011, 10:04 AM
I would just go with a custom. Head over to blade forums, they have a new section where you can basically list what you want and knifemakers will discuss with you. You'd actually be pretty surprised at how reasonable some of them are too. That way you can design it yourself!

JLS
06-15-2011, 10:16 AM
The general concept was done years ago by Laci Szabo as the UUK, though I'm sure he wasn't the first either. There was even a neck knife version made by others under license.

Dr. Snubnose
06-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Ay Tac:Just get the KaBar TDI and degrease the clip...simple..you like the knife...it's cheap...get it!...Period...Starting with custom makers, fancy clips, grinding and mods...is plain ole ridiculous. If you want to loose their clip just affix the sheath to your belt with paracord through the sheath holes...Just my two cents worth...Doc:D

jossta
06-15-2011, 01:03 PM
^^Lol, sometimes the simplest answer is the best, I guess. Good input.

dd61999
06-15-2011, 01:38 PM
actually the spyderco swick looks pretty much like what I would want. Does anyone know of any other, more *cough cough* quality brands than ka-bar that would make this sort of a knife?

You can also look at the hideaway knife and emerson lagriffe.......but like doc said just get the TDI and clean it up. They do come sharp!

Mano
06-15-2011, 02:03 PM
I second the recommendation to take a look at the design of the HideAway, its almost impossible to be taken out of the hand while being conscious, barely conscious and maybe even if you are unconscious for a second (though if you are in that situation thats the least of your worries)

This also makes it a great utility knife, like if you are opening boxes and making an inventory, you dont need to let go of the knife to write/type, that applies to any activity you might need to handle a blade and be able to use both hands (fishing, gardening, etc.)

Plus its VERY easy to carry and conceal with multiple options, fast and easy to index and draw too.

Knifestyle
06-15-2011, 02:35 PM
I've had a Hideaway on me for several years now, around the world and back, never going back. I've actually forgotten I've had it on me, with enough training (There IS a trainer for it) it's a solid little piece of kit. Don't overestimate it, but it's the ultimate backup as well as a very handy EDC piece. You never have to set anything down or put down your knife, it's hands-free. It's by no means as fast to draw as the TDI, though, you have to loop your fingers through the capsule which slows down the draw time. A La Griffe can be drawn faster, the TDI the fastest but it's also a beast to carry. I'm fine with the HAK, but a LA Griffe is still a solid choice as well although not a utility blade, and the TDI was designed for its fast draw time.

Mano
06-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Agreed, though its not slow to index and draw, what makes a little slower than the other knives (by fractions of a second) you mention is that it sometimes takes a little more to get them into the proximal phalanges of the fingers (its most efficient position), though you could use it in the intermediate phalanges and still find it useful and strong, just a bit angled inwards, and if you use it that way (in a pinch) i suppose it could be as fast to draw as the La Griffe.

Blerv
06-15-2011, 04:08 PM
on-topic answer: The Swick 2 with a custom sheath would be very cool.

off-topic answer: Custom sheath for that one or check out Boker's line like the La Griffe and Perrin Bowie Necker.

Donut
06-15-2011, 05:02 PM
only thing I can think of is the Spyderco Karambit.

araneae
06-15-2011, 07:58 PM
If you like the knife buy it. You can always find someone to make a sheath to your specs.

markg
06-15-2011, 08:35 PM
I concur with those who suggest you modify the sheath or just get someone to make a new one (not too expensive).

The knife in question is a pretty task specific tool (off hand/weapon retention) and is pretty entrenched in the market. Would not make sense for Spyderco to jump into the fray. IMHO.

pmbspyder
06-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Tacticool - There are some other options out there. One of my favorites is the Devil's Elbow XL by TOPS. Well built, very tactical looking, and only about $60 at NGK. Not sure if you're interested, but here's a pic for your reference -

tacticooledc
06-15-2011, 09:13 PM
wow, that hideaway knife seems like a very cool idea. I'd definitely get one if it weren't for the hefty price tag, though they do use S30V steel. One thing I never understood is why use a superior edge retention steel for a self defense blade? Sure it's an EDC blade as well, but if you're likely to use it once in your life and then probably replace it, might as well use a more affordable steel?

In terms of the TDI, the clip I was handling was the belt clip, and not the standard clip that has slots for the belt. I'm hoping that the standard clip isn't a grease pool and isn't falling apart like the one I saw :D

pmbspyder
06-15-2011, 09:25 PM
oh, forgot to add, NGK has it for about $20 cheaper than any other site I could find...only 2 in stock though, and after drooling a bit there may only be 1 by the end of the night!

Blerv
06-15-2011, 10:35 PM
A waves Tasman would be a great retention knife. MJ says it's one of his faves (I added the waved part).

Pkal too for a waved aggressive backup.

dcmartin2001
06-15-2011, 11:21 PM
I've always been a big fan of the TDI....the small and large. I recently came across the TDI folder (I know you were asking about a fixed blade, sorry i couldn't resist sharing ):D The Original blade was way too big and i wasn't comfortable carrying it so i cut it down just a bit.... Gave it a nice wharncliffe edge. It deploys rather quickly and with the handle being as long as it is, it makes for a nice pommel. Just my 2c :p

Original pic of blade before mod
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll18/1MORPHEUS/photo1-11.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll18/1MORPHEUS/photo2-10.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll18/1MORPHEUS/photo2-9.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll18/1MORPHEUS/photo5-5.jpg

Michael Janich
06-16-2011, 07:23 AM
Actually, the closest Spyderco model would be an Ayoob folder. It was, I believe, the first commercially manufactured knife with that type of handlt-to-blade angle. A sprint run of it will also be out soon.

For fixed blades, I second Fred Perrin's LaGriffe and like it a lot more than the HAK because it braces against the palm, not the knuckles. His mid-tech versions are available from Laci Szabo at Szabo, Inc.

Stay safe,

Mike

dd61999
06-16-2011, 08:03 AM
For fixed blades, I second Fred Perrin's LaGriffe and like it a lot more than the HAK because it braces against the palm, not the knuckles.

Mike

I completely agree, as well as being able to deploy faster

However, For someone like me who trained in grappling arts like judo or bjj. I find the HAK works great to free your hands while trying to control your opponent . plus it hides much better and is more comfortable to wear. I guess it all depends on the users.

I am surprised Spyderco has not made a small knife like these in H1

That steel is just begging to be made into a small neck knife!

markg
06-16-2011, 08:40 AM
I completely agree, as well as being able to deploy faster

However, For someone like me who trained in grappling arts like judo or bjj. I find the HAK works great to free your hands while trying to control your opponent . plus it hides much better and is more comfortable to wear. I guess it all depends on the users.

I am surprised Spyderco has not made a small knife like these in H1

That steel is just begging to be made into a small neck knife!

I have not followed the story recently, however has Hideaway Knives worked out... Well, their rather well publicized "issues?"

I would check that out before ordering.

I second the LaGriffe. I have one of the Emerson versions and like it alot.

tea
06-16-2011, 10:00 AM
I have not followed the story recently, however has Hideaway Knives worked out... Well, their rather well publicized "issues?"

Good question. Iíve always liked the concept but have never committed because of so much mixed feedback and reviews.

dd61999
06-16-2011, 10:23 AM
I believed things smoothed over, plus you can now buy the knife through distributers

Knifestyle
06-16-2011, 05:36 PM
If you're buying production knives they have in stock, people get them in a week without complaint. Nothing custom or not in stock, the operation is just too overloaded. I have to agree, I love softer steels like 440C and an H1 HAK is in my dreams just for general use and marine use. The HAK was designed defensively, but I just enjoy it more for EDC use and its innovation. If I wanted a pure backup, it'd be a La Griffe.

Mano
06-16-2011, 06:38 PM
I recently bought a Utility V2 production one, zero problems, great service, sent to Peru (South America), fit is great.