Tell Me About The Serrated Z-Cuts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scandi Grind

Tell Me About The Serrated Z-Cuts

Post by Scandi Grind »

I have been thinking that my mom might like a serrated paring knife. For years she has only used dull knives. I learned to sharpen but for the most part nobody is allowed to touch my kitchen knives. I also sharpen the Cuisinarts that everyone uses, but they get the snot beat out of them and don't cut tomatoes for long no matter what I do. My mom seemed pretty contented with using the knives in whatever state she found them until recently. She cuts tomato now for salad daily, most frequently with a paring knife, but it wasn't doing the job one day. She asked if there was anything to cut a tomato with so I consented to let her do it with my Dexter paring knife.

"Oh!" she exclaimed as it passed effortlessly through the tomato. "This works good."

I smiled, "Yep."

The next day an eyebrow raised when I found she had pulled that knife out without asking first for the same task. I sharpened up a couple beater paring knives and she left mine alone after that. I am going to take this as a good sign that I am winning a convert for the lovers of good edges. However, she is not particularly careful with her knives, I doubt I could get her to consistently use a proper cutting board, which is the biggest reason the rest of the beater knives don't work longer. My thought is that a serrated paring knife might last significantly longer in it's duties, as well as give me a good reason to learn to sharpen serrations.

There are a few good options for serrated paring knives, but the Z-Cut is a definite stand out because of it's finger clearance and it's very good price for a U.S. made product. I am curious about the fact that it uses a different serration pattern than is typically used by Spyderco, also different than an earlier Z-Cut iteration, but I would tend to assume it must be good if the decided to implement it.

So has anybody gotten one of the current generation serrated Z-Cuts? What do you think of it?
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Tell Me About The Serrated Z-Cuts

Post by Doc Dan »

I think this is one of the best products, ever. I have two and will probably get another one. They cut through anything and because of the handle, knuckles don't make contact. This is a definite must buy.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I have one. They’re very thin, flimsy knives. Which is what you want for slicing tomatoes… but they will not take a beating.

I don’t love the serrations in the kitchen. For anything of significant depth it steers in the cut.

In the bright side they are cheap.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I have used these knives to cut roasts. They work amazingly. I have other knives for this job, but a few times these were within easy reach. No issues. Did a very fine job, even though this is not what they were designed for. Tomatoes and other fruit, plus vegetables are easily cut with one of these.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
benben

Post by benben »

It's an absolute tomato killer, but for firm red onions, not so much, just a little too thin and flimsy.
cjk

Post by cjk »

We have serrated counter puppies and counter critters. Both I and my wife love them, but favor the larger model. I've never cut a tomato with them.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

benben wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:15 am
It's an absolute tomato killer, but for firm red onions, not so much, just a little too thin and flimsy.
I've never had an issue with onions, potatoes, carrots, whatever. I don't force the blade, I let the edge do the work. The Z goes through them like a light saber.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:48 pm
benben wrote:
I've never had an issue with onions, potatoes, carrots, whatever. I don't force the blade, I let the edge do the work. The Z goes through them like a light saber.
Z-cuts will go thru anything but bone. But who in their right mind is slicing onions, potatoes, and carrots with a tiny paring knife instead of a full size santoku, gyuto, chef knife, etc?
Flash

Post by Flash »

They are great for cutting light fruit and veg but will break at the Spydiehole with a hint of anything approaching heavier duty, like say a potato.

I know because I broke one …at the Spydiehole …cutting a potato.
Flash

Post by Flash »

I’m confident that if Spyderco left out the Spydiehole in this instance, I’d still have fully-functioning, one-piece z-cut instead of a yellow handle and a beautifully slicey blade that parted company.

I believe there is a folder with 1mm blade stock and a larger Spydiehole in the works (can’t remember the name) but you may want to hold onto your receipts if you decide to buy that one.
benben

Post by benben »

zhyla wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 12:17 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:48 pm
benben wrote:
Z-cuts will go thru anything but bone. But who in their right mind is slicing onions, potatoes, and carrots with a tiny paring knife instead of a full size santoku, gyuto, chef knife, etc?
That who in their right mind is me, I bought my new Z-cut at SMKW while on vacation in Sevierville. Had literally owned it for an hour and was making tomato & onion sandwiches for lunch for four kids and me and the wife. So being in a vacation home I felt pretty sure this new Z-cut was the best kitchen knife in the house? It wasn't! And yes I'm very familiar with Santoku's, Gyuto's, and chef knives!
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I have both a PE and an SE Z-Cut. I use the PE at the table only, and seldom at that. I use the SE much more often, but also as a "steak knife," not for culinary purposes. It will definitely do a number on tomatoes, but so will pettys, santokus, Kiwis, etc. I tend to use at least a 6-in stiffer blade for everything except filleting fish. The Z-Cut blade is very flexible and, as someone already said, steers in cuts on anything that is thick or offers much resistance.

All that said, Z-Cuts are great for tomatoes and, if tomatoes were a focus, I'd use mine a lot more.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Must have been a bad heat treat on a batch of knives. I have cut all sorts of food with mine and there has never been an issue. It isn't the first choice for harder things, but sometimes I am just too old and lazy to fish for another knife when the Z-Cut is at hand. I even regularly cut 1kg roasts, but these are cooked tender. They make nice, thin slices. My next favorite knife is the red Spyderco SE K-o5 (I think). I have used it, sharpened it, used it, abused it, and now I need to sharpen it, again. Great knife.

Victorinox/Forschner paring knives are thinner than the ZCut and they hold up just fine.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I have a Vic paring knife myself and certainly don't have a problem with the thinness. My Dexter is only a little thicker. For what I use a paring knife for, thinner is almost always better, but I would worry about my mom using something this thin for anything other than tomatoes. That said, for most other things she tends to grab a Santoku or carving knife, so maybe it wouldn't be an issue. Apples might be the biggest threat to it staying in one piece if she decided to use it on one and wasn't conscious of how thin it is.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I have many in pe and se. They are both great. Se is particularly good for those that can't sharpen and cut on the wrong surface. They only bang up the tips of the teeth. The scallops of the serrations stay sharp.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Was cutting lines with my SE Zcut this weekend. Why, why, why is the serration bevel on the left side of the blade? They should have reversed it like Japanese single bevel knives do.

I bet these work better for lefties.

You can angle the blade to zero out the bevel and then it works fine. But it’s just kind of surprising.
270ultimate

Post by 270ultimate »

benben wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 7:55 am

That who in their right mind is me, I bought my new Z-cut at SMKW while on vacation in Sevierville. Had literally owned it for an hour and was making tomato & onion sandwiches for lunch for four kids and me and the wife. So being in a vacation home I felt pretty sure this new Z-cut was the best kitchen knife in the house? It wasn't! And yes I'm very familiar with Santoku's, Gyuto's, and chef knives!
As someone who ate mustard and pickle sandwiches as a child, and who to this day eats potato chip sandwiches…

I had to Google that one.
benben

Post by benben »

270ultimate wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 11:11 pm
benben wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 7:55 am

As someone who ate mustard and pickle sandwiches as a child, and who to this day eats potato chip sandwiches…

I had to Google that one.
And what did the ole Google machine tell you….just what you’ve been missing out on? 😁

Good ripe Summer tomatoes
Sweet onion
Fresh bread
Dukes mayonnaise
Salt & heavy pepper

Lordy yes!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'll give you a high five on those "K04 & K05" models. I've had both of them for years and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Before my mother passed she even loved those two models. And she hated anything with a serrated edge. But she swore by both of those Spyderco kitchen gems.

I particularly love that type of serration pattern on those models as well. It's more of a rounded/wavy type of serration rathen that the more spikey type of serration on my of Spyderco's great blades.