Anyone else have rusting issues on their H2 knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
evc23

Anyone else have rusting issues on their H2 knives?

Post by evc23 »

I noticed a little bit of rust underneath the scale on my H2 Dragonfly salt, so I decided to take it apart and see how bad it was. I saw that the back lock has several spots of rust on it. This knife hasn’t been exposed to any chemicals and it’s only been washed (and dried) with tap water maybe a dozen times. I did notice that the metal around where the rust has formed seems almost wavy, so maybe it’s a manufacturing defect? I have a H1 salt that has seen much harsher conditions than this one and has no rust, so I’m a bit confused. Has anyone else had this happen?

31C51A60-9351-409F-A91D-122CC490A682.jpeg
C12D21DD-688F-43F9-A022-FA4913E0C4FD.jpeg
D5F40641-6F27-458D-9E9D-BFE279607CF6.jpeg
TazKristi

Re: Anyone else have rusting issues on their H2 knives?

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, evc23:
Welcome to our forum. I would suggest sending your knife in for evaluation with our Warranty & Repair Department. You'll find all the information you need to do that here: https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ty-repair/. I'm sorry for any inconvenience, but we'll make it right.

We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

A rarity with the salts. I kept a Tasman Salt in my shower for almost a year. Worse it got was some hard water scaling.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum @evc23

There has been another report of an H2 knife corroding, see here viewtopic.php?p=1776922#p1776922 (starting with this post, then a longer discussion over several replies)

It turned out that the reason for that corrosion most likely was "contamination" with another (not H2) steel from the manufacturing process.
Chinstrap (the guy who posted the issue) cleaned the rust off, and there was not pitting to be seen afterwards (viewtopic.php?p=1778434#p1778434).

So perhaps try that too? Clean of the rust (and in the process potential "contaminating" steel) and see i it comes back? My guess is: I won´t, but I am no expert.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

If you are able send it in. They have the capability to figure things out and if there is a problem solve it not only with you but anything that has to do with manufacturing or materials. I'm sure they would like to know what is going on.

Joe
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The Mastiff wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:24 am
If you are able send it in. They have the capability to figure things out and if there is a problem solve it not only with you but anything that has to do with manufacturing or materials. I'm sure they would like to know what is going on.

Joe
I agree with Joe. Sending it in will help the whole community.