Question about lanyard holes.........

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SchoonerBum

Re: Question about lanyard holes.........

Post by SchoonerBum »

jwbnyc wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:02 pm
Tool lanyards are often essential on job sites at elevation when there is no situation where it is okay to drop a tool. They are handy in any scenario where loss of a knife would result in a negative outcome. They aren’t there just to be annoying. Spyderco makes quite a few knives without them.
This. It’s often less about not losing the tool than it is about not dropping a knife out of the sky onto someone’s head.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Personally, I won’t buy a ”work” folder without a lanyard hole. I attach a float or lanyard to all of my work knives so any design without a lanyard hole is a non starter for me. Sometimes people label certain design characteristics as “completely useless” when what they really mean is “completely useless to ME”. This same discussion comes up with 4 way clips sometimes. The aesthetically inclined often lament all those extra “ugly” pocket clip holes that “ruin” the aesthetics of a design. It doesn’t bother me personally, and it certainly doesn’t bother me that some folks have opinions different than mine, however….

Spyderco built their name on prioritizing functionality over everything else (including looks). There are hundreds of companies out there that will prioritize aesthetics over function. I personally hope that Spyderco never becomes one of those companies and maintains the design principles that drew me to the company in the first place. Just my 2 cents.
dubya3(new)

Post by dubya3(new) »

Coastal wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:04 pm
I only care about lanyard holes when they cause the pocket clip to be positioned awkwardly.
Exactly how I feel as well. I don't mind the lanyard holes although the only one I've ever used is on my Jester. The only time I've ever had one be a problem is on the Military 2 with clip placement.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I don’t mind lanyard holes as long as they don’t add too much extra weight.
maddoc

Post by maddoc »

I always use the paracord straps on the knife.The length is usually 50-60 centimeters.I twist the paracord as Chris Reev does (it makes it easier for me).On all knives, there are clips for deep pocketing in the pocket-therefore, it is more convenient to take out the strap. Plus, I clamp the strap together with the handle when working-it works as a damper.With it, the handle becomes pleasantly plump)Well, also from the category of "I hope it won't come in handy" - a hyped paracord can be used to bundle something/ as a tourniquet-bandage. etc..))
Last edited by maddoc on Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:51 pm, edited 1
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

I use lanyards on all my knives because I have nerve damage in my right hand, and a lanyard really helps me get the knife out. Once out, it helps me hang on to it. One very painful lesson showed me that I really, really needed to start using lanyards. I dropped my open Para 2 Maxamet straight down into the top of my foot! Right through my boot and a good half inch in! :hot-face Owwie!
dubya3(new)

Post by dubya3(new) »

sal wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:32 pm
Hi Dubya3,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

Thank you 😊

I was here in the past about 7-9 years ago but lost access to my email and couldn't get into my old account here. It's awesome to still see you here involved in discussion, it's one of the many reasons so many of us love the brand. You're truly one of a kind.

Cory
Ocho

Post by Ocho »

:hundred-points
Liked "Aestheticly Inclined"
;)
Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:19 am
Personally, I won’t buy a ”work” folder without a lanyard hole. I attach a float or lanyard to all of my work knives so any design without a lanyard hole is a non starter for me. Sometimes people label certain design characteristics as “completely useless” when what they really mean is “completely useless to ME”. This same discussion comes up with 4 way clips sometimes. The aesthetically inclined often lament all those extra “ugly” pocket clip holes that “ruin” the aesthetics of a design. It doesn’t bother me personally, and it certainly doesn’t bother me that some folks have opinions different than mine, however….

Spyderco built their name on prioritizing functionality over everything else (including looks). There are hundreds of companies out there that will prioritize aesthetics over function. I personally hope that Spyderco never becomes one of those companies and maintains the design principles that drew me to the company in the first place. Just my 2 cents.
"A knife is a good friend when you have no other."
kobold

Post by kobold »

I use long (2ft) red lanyards on knives when I carry them outdoors in the winter and there is snow, so when I drop them and they disappear in the snow, the lanyard is still visible.
I use lanyards holding some kind of small float, in case I drop the knife in the water when I am on a boat or kayaking.
I use lanyards on SAKs and folders that are kept in water formed leather slips, so I can pull them out easily.
I use long lanyards to attach the knife to my belt so there is no way of losing them, because going through dense brush any tall weed or twig can pull out a knife clipped to your pocket.
I use lanyards on all my choppers and machetes for a more secure grip and more forceful swing.
Last edited by kobold on Wed May 08, 2024 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

I do not use the lanyard holes on my knives. I also don’t like pocket clips which probably makes me a real outlier compared to the rest of the group here. Lanyards are nice looking an all when done correctly but they do not provide me with any advantages.

I should probably add that I am an office worker so I don’t really have any heavy duty cutting tasks at work.
Last edited by DavidNM on Sat May 04, 2024 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I also don't "like" pocket clips and I removed them from my Chaps and some Natives, but kept them on other ones, because deep pocket carry is not always possible and I must do IWB instead.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
maddoc

Post by maddoc »

This whole discussion confirms for sure that we all know exactly what we need from a knife.We adjust the knife to your needs)We're all right!)