Sage series collection - What's the next Sage?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
riclaw

Re: Sage series collection - What's the next Sage?

Post by riclaw »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:08 pm
Maybe i should start nagging about a Neely lock Sage again? :)
What's a Neely lock? Example, por favor.
- Richard
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:33 am
It´s funny how different folks are concerning what they find to be a "nice" carry...

I didn't add a lot of detail to my comment, but to clarify, if I'm mostly standing/walking/hiking during the day, Manix-sized tallness/width is fine. Backpacking? Manix is my preferred folder. It's on days when I'm changing vertical positions a lot, sitting, crawling around on the floor, up and down the ladder (contractor work days) that I often move the Manix to a back pocket for comfort (except for sitting, which requires yet more shifting about), or choose a less tall knife to carry. I often carry a Sage on blue collar days, and would even more prefer a slim Caly 3 design if I could get the Caly in a balanced PM steel. Yeah, tallness/width makes a big difference for comfort if there's lots of bending at the waist--for me, at least.

Very much agree about length, as you stated. That's why I prefer the Caly 3 at work over the Caly 3.5, which pokes my leg a lot more. All said, the Sage is a good work knife, IMO. Especially in M4! Long enough to cut up lunch, short enough to give good tip control. Would I like a straighter edge with a lower tip and less belly--what I call a "dropped leaf"? Sure, but the Sage is good as it is.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Hey @Bolster, have you tried the Leaf Jumper yet? Slightly slimmer in pocket than the Manix and the overall edge profile(footprint) is more in line with the Manix. More straight than belly. I know it lacks jimping and a boye dent. However, the extreme hump proves the jimping useless and the ease of use is greater than any other back lock I've used from Spyderco. Not sure what Seki is doing differently on the RJ and LJ, but is is something else. I can even do that trick where you hold the knife (fingers out of the blade path) and shut it like a compression lock.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

riclaw wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:04 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
[googlevideo]
[/googlevideo]
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:10 pm
Hey @Bolster, have you tried the Leaf Jumper yet? Slightly slimmer in pocket than the Manix and the overall edge profile(footprint) is more in line with the Manix. More straight than belly. I know it lacks jimping and a boye dent. However, the extreme hump proves the jimping useless and the ease of use is greater than any other back lock I've used from Spyderco. Not sure what Seki is doing differently on the RJ and LJ, but is is something else. I can even do that trick where you hold the knife (fingers out of the blade path) and shut it like a compression lock.

Have not! Worthy of investigation, thank you for the nudge. Never seen an inertia close with a backlock before!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:11 am
JSumm wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:10 pm
.. Never seen an inertia close with a backlock before!
You really haven´t ?!
And I thought Vivi and I would actually start to get annoying, cause we´ve shared our clips on that quite a bit already

Here is an old one I made once (closing shown one time slow, two times fast)

I am always glad when others start to realize too: This method works with pretty much every backlock (only model I know where it is a bit harder to do is the Chaparral), so folks who want that "fingers out of the blade path" thing don´t have to shy away from lockback Spydies.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Screenshot_20240421_110056_Gallery.jpg
I happen to have the leafjumper in my pocket while I was cut testing the Cinco sage. I'm a big fan of the LJ.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:49 am
You really haven´t ?!
And I thought Vivi and I would actually start to get annoying, cause we´ve shared our clips on that quite a bit already

OK, maybe I have, and forgot. I'm pretty sure I watched your vids. It's a neat trick and I'll have to try it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:28 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:49 am
You really haven´t ?!

OK, maybe I have, and forgot. I'm pretty sure I watched your vids. It's a neat trick and I'll have to try it.

It is actually not just a "trick" in my view, but more than that and enough so to go off topic sometimes for me.
- There are many who choose a comp.lock over a backlock for that "fingers out of the blade path thing", not realizing that pretty much the exact same thing can be done with a backlock too in a very similar way. With all the same pros and cons that this method of closing brings also with a comp.lock (main con: Knife not very secure in hand with that pinch grip)
- I aways like to take the opportunity and perhaps encourage people to look beyond some of those persistent knife "myths" and just try for themselves. Maybe closing a knife that way takes a bit more getting used to in the beginning with a backlock, but then it works pretty much the same as with a comp.lock.

/ ON topic again ;) :
Still the Sage 4 would be MY personal favorite for a re-run... and still don´t know if there is a difference between its front lock and the mid backlock... they look to be pretty much the same - ?
Anyone could educate me?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

A Back Lock versus a mid Back Lock is where you press to disengage the lock. A back lock like in the Buck 110 you have to press at the very bottom which is very inconvenient for one-handed closing. The mid back lock like in Spyderco folders has the disengagement in the middle which makes it easy to close one-handed.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RamZar wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:04 am
A Back Lock versus a mid Back Lock is where you press to disengage the lock. A back lock like in the Buck 110 you have to press at the very bottom which is very inconvenient for one-handed closing. The mid back lock like in Spyderco folders has the disengagement in the middle which makes it easy to close one-handed.
Thanks,

but I am aware of that - my question is if there is a difference between the mid backlock Spyderco ususally implements and the front lock of the Sage 4 - I figure "front" only in relation to an old buck backlock (where the lock has to be pressed at the handle end), but actually "just" a mid backlock too.. ?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Yes, they are the same thing. Front Lock is just another name for the Mid-Back lock or Mid Lock.
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:34 am
Yes, they are the same thing. Front Lock is just another name for the Mid-Back lock or Mid Lock.

Thanks, Nick!
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:26 am
riclaw wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:04 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
[googlevideo]
Thanks. It looks like the blade pivots on the ball bearing? And pull out on the blade to unlock? Might be a little slow to open and close.
- Richard
applejuice54

Post by applejuice54 »

Sage 6 in 15V with axis lock.
Followed by
Sage 6 in Rex 121 with axis lock
And then
Sage 6 in Rex 45 - axis
Not to be out done
Sage 7 in back liner lock with button (compression based)
Sal you just got some samples…. And….
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

[/quote]
Thanks. It looks like the blade pivots on the ball bearing? And pull out on the blade to unlock? Might be a little slow to open and close.
[/quote]

Well, it won't be popular among the fidgeteers but then again, neither was the Gayle Bradley but that's a darn good knife regardless. :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.