Masters of the Air

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Masters of the Air

Post by Doc Dan »

I wish my dad had talked more about his experiences. He was bitter about his service experiences and I think he suffered from PTSD (sure of it). He said most of his squadron didn't survive and that he survived a B17 crash in the desert. I know he was injured and had back surgery. He was a radio operator and door gunner. That's it. Nothing more.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The National WWII Museum in New Orleans is not only one of the best museums in the U.S. but a valuable resource and publishes many interesting and informative articles.

One recent article is The 'Bloody 100th' Bomb Group: The Eighth Air Force’s hard luck unit was filled with colorful personalities who made the unit one of the most storied of World War II.

One part of the article is particularly colorful when they landed in North Africa in August 1943 (by that time the Nazis and Rommel were defeated in North Africa):

“The unit found spartan accommodation but eventually pieced itself back together for the return home. Before departure, 1st Lt Owen “Cowboy” Roane, flying in a B-17 named Laden Maden, acquired a donkey and decided to make the animal a mascot. He smuggled the donkey aboard and wrapped it in blankets to keep it warm while at altitude. Upon approach to the airfield at Thorpe Abbotts, Roane radioed, “I’m coming in with a frozen a**!” Upon landing, the bomber was met by ambulances thinking the crew had frostbite injuries. Opening the plane’s hatch, the only frozen passenger was a tiny African a** named “Mohammed” (Mo for short)! This was a serious breach of British customs and agricultural law, and host nation officials did not find it a laughing matter. Despite the legal wrangling, the matter was finally settled when the donkey eventually succumbed to the vagaries of English weather.”

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln