Newb - Gen 1 Pacific Salt Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SPYsho

Newb - Gen 1 Pacific Salt Question

Post by SPYsho »

Hey everyone! Been lurking the past few weeks looking to learn more about my current EDC knife and also about the Caribbean.

For my pinnned gen 1 pacific salt PE (no large H1 or initials), it doesn’t allow for any sort of faster action. No flicking and no blade dropping, which is fine. But if I wanted to be a bit smoother, is it even possible for this knife? Or was the design intended for a slower thumb open? From what I have read this knife cannot be dissembled so wasn’t sure if other options exist.

Based on tons of reviews, I also purchased the Caribbean sheep tooth SE and should receive soon. Just wanted to something different and excited to for the friction lock vs the back lock. Will prolly dye it - is there a consensus now on dying the whole knife or taking it apart?

Thanks all!
TazKristi

Re: Newb - Gen 1 Pacific Salt Question

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, SPYsho:
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
SPYsho

Post by SPYsho »

Appreciate it!
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I don’t have a Pacific Salt but from my understanding back locks will not flick as easily due to how they function. A knife line like KPL might help some on the back lock but by design there is always some pressure/friction from the lock.

Your Caribbean with a compression lock should have a very smooth action in comparison.

I am sure people will be able to provide more helpful comments than just my general one.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
vivi

Post by vivi »

with practice pinned pacific salts can be flicked and spydie dropped (pinch the spyder hole and flick the handle downwards).

not much you can do with the action besides lube it. newer pacific salts (both gen 1 and gen 2) have screw pivots.

I typically dye salts withiut taking them apart, but the ones I've worked with are linerless models like your pacific salt. since the caribbean is a salt I think it'd be ok doing it that way, but I have not personslly done it so I am not speaking from experience here.
:unicorn
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

There are some members who have done mods to the Caribbean scales so hopefully they will post up . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
endura3

Post by endura3 »

My favorite knife (Endura 3) shares the same pinned construction as the first generation Pacific Salt 1. The action does smooth out a lot with time, but has more of a hydraulic feel than either the drop shutty, glassy smooth action you can get with washers, or the looser, flickable action you can get by adjusting the pivot on later salts.

It's theoretically possible to flick mine open (and do the spydie drop Vivi describes), but using a full thumb roll is definitely more reliable for this particular pinned construction.

Regarding the Caribbean, doing the entire knife shouldn't present any issue. The liners and internal components are all highly corrosion resistant, and are thermally resistant enough that they won't be affected by a quick soak in boiling water.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

An absolutely ancient recommendation was/is - pack the pivot with toothpaste (or other mild mild polishing compound) work the action several dozen times and then clean it out. I did this back in 2005/6 with both my Pacific Salt and the couple S30V Natives I got from Walmart.

Used toothpaste on one and then mother's mag polish and both seemed to work about the same. The action smoothed out and was lighter with seemingly no detrimental effects. I used the Pacific for several years before it was lost and the Natives for a couple before selling or giving away.
SPYsho

Post by SPYsho »

Thanks everyone! The Caribbean came in and it’s pretty slick. The colors don’t bother me but have seen the sapphire blue dye and that’s the plan I think eventually. I can see how the Caribbean will eventually be smoother vs the pacific. The SE edge is amazing! Had no idea

I bought the pacific salt new and have had it for over a decade and I don’t think it’s gonna get smoother action. Never really cared/noticed until I started reading the forums lol and still doesn’t bother me it can’t flick etc. but the forum sparked my interest.