What knife do you actually carry and use the most?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Road Tripper

Re: What knife do you actually carry and use the most?

Post by Road Tripper »

In terms of carry, the knife I most commonly have with me is a Victorinox Rambler. In terms of cutting use, I would say the Manix since I mainly use the non-knife tools on the Rambler.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I find there is often a difference between what people carry and what they use, in some respects. Many "carry" a larger knife, but a smaller pocket knife actually gets the most use. That was the way it was for me until I just started emptying my pockets. Of course, I am not as active these days, so that plays into it in a big way.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I find midsize folders to have the most versatility to cariability ratio. Out of my current collection it’s been the calypso jr for several months now. Just a perfect edc pocket folder for like 95% of what I cut on an average day. Sals best work
Last edited by Tristan_david2001 on Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Easily the Lil Native. The REC Lil Native, in particular, is my most frequently carried and used.

The Ti Squarehead held that title a long time for me but the Lil Native has recently taken it’s spot. I’ve never found a knife as convenient to carry and use as the Squarehead. This is actually a good reminder for me to carry the Squarehead more again. :cheap-sunglasses
Last edited by Mushroom on Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

By far the Manbug Wharnie. Such a great little knife.

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

My Caly 3.5 in VG10
Have had her going on 10 years now. Great Spydie
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:08 am
By far the Manbug Wharnie. Such a great little knife.

Good ole VG10! Got that edge lookin good,.Rick 😃
vivi

Post by vivi »

Right now, Native Chiefs and Manix XL's / C95's.

Two months ago Native Chiefs were a shoe in, but I've been enjoying larger folders lately so the Manix's have seen a lot of carry.

Of course, during the warmer months Pacific Salt is king, though it'll be getting replaced with Chief Salts.

So overall I'll say the Native Chief, especially once the salt version is out. I'll rarely carry something besides a Chief or Manix at that point.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:38 am
I find there is often a difference between what people carry and what they use, in some respects. Many "carry" a larger knife, but a smaller pocket knife actually gets the most use. That was the way it was for me until I just started emptying my pockets. Of course, I am not as active these days, so that plays into it in a big way.
It's the opposite for me.

The past week I've mostly carried a Cold Steel SR1 and Leatherman Squirt. Both recently reprofiled to a very keen edge.

I always reach for the big knife.

In fact the days when I was carrying a 4Max I made a point to use the Squirt more since the 4Max feels like overkill for a lot of tasks. It felt a lot worse cutting a little cardboard or doing other mundate tasks with such a tiny handle.
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

At work, an Atlantic Salt.

At home, either a Salt 2 or an M390 Delica.

In the woods, a Subway Bowie.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm not a real heavy user, but i carry and use all my knives. most carried will always be a manix and a pacific salt se for me.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:48 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:38 am
It's the opposite for me.

The past week I've mostly carried a Cold Steel SR1 and Leatherman Squirt. Both recently reprofiled to a very keen edge.

I always reach for the big knife.

In fact the days when I was carrying a 4Max I made a point to use the Squirt more since the 4Max feels like overkill for a lot of tasks. It felt a lot worse cutting a little cardboard or doing other mundate tasks with such a tiny handle.
What do you think of the 5-Max? I have other Spyderco Native Chiefs that I'll be buying first, but I am looking at the 5-Max for a bugout bag.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vivi

Post by vivi »

If they made a lite version I'd try it out. The 4max is really cool.....very beefy and ergonomic, but it's already big & heavy enough I won't carry it as much as other knives. So I know I wouldn't pocket the 5max often, hence I'm not looking to buy a $300 version.

If I wanted a mega sized -EDC- knife I'd go with an XL Voyager or a Frenzy. Both are 5.5" blade but are light enough daily carry is ok for the most part.

I'm still with you on XL Chiefs BTW. My interest in larger folders is more blade length than simply being big and tanky. Excited for the upcoming catcherman for that reason.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Heckle and Jeckle, definitely my most carried AND used 😉
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

A chef's knife is my most used (Konosuke GS+ gyuto). Second is the beater FFG Delica which sees the most random household tasks. Most carried is the Salt 2.
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

I hardly ever actually cut anything with a knife. My actual "use" is light office carry and, for that, my choice is overwhelmingly a small micarta Insingo Sebenza 21. My most commonly carried Spyderco is a Techno 2.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have a fair-sized herd of Spydies and carry pretty much what happens to appeal.

But by year’s end—having spent time with new acquisitions, or with comparisons I want to make, or with subjects of conversation here—my most carried and used is usually a PM2 in a preferred steel (10 at last count).

Truth be told, though, a PM2 is in my right front pocket mostly because it was there the day before, and it is often there simply because it didn’t disappoint.

Still, this past year has seen a Canis, a Native Chief, a Military2, Lil’ Native Wharncliffe, and a Lil’ Temperance3 LW occupy my RFP for weeks at a time.

I don’t count my Ladybug Hawkbill Salt or my Compact SAK as my knife for the day. They’re on me daily just in case but are not my first choice.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:27 am
My Caly 3.5 in VG10
Have had her going on 10 years now. Great Spydie
👍
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
elena86

Post by elena86 »

RLR wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:53 am
SS Dragonfly clipless drop in pocket. Either PE or SE. I think it’s the best Spyderco ever designed. Comfortable, unobtrusive, big enough for most jobs. Been into knives forever, and the DF outworks them all.
Indeed. Sal’s best design ever IMO.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Love the DragonFly!