Is the Endura still well loved in 2023?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Haunted House

Is the Endura still well loved in 2023?

Post by Haunted House »

I don’t see many posts on the Endura these days, and it doesn’t seem to get many sprint runs or dealer exclusives.

I’ve fallen hard for the Endela, it’s become my most carried knife (specifically the DLT Cruwear Endela).
Still love my Delicas for when I want a small folder, and the k390 Straight Spine Stretch for when I need something beefier.

But I find myself Endura curious. Does it have a place between the Endela & the SS Stretch?
Is it a must-have in the Seki lineup?
Sell me on the Endura
Coastal

Re: Is the Endura still well loved in 2023?

Post by Coastal »

I predict Wartstein will sell you on it tomorrow.

I don't own an Endura, even though the Pacific Salt is one of my favorite knives, and of course it's based on the Endura. Several times I've almost pulled the trigger, but since I already have several Pac Salts I haven't been able to do it. My sense is that I'd find it to be different because of the smaller hole and because I'd probably choose K390 or HAP 40, but I still haven't done it. Maybe someone will sell me, too. It doesn't take much to sell me on a new knife, and this forum is full of enablers.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

It would probably depend on one's hand size and intended use.

I have several Delica and Endela variants, but only one Endura, much like I have many Native 5s but only one Native Chief.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Haunted House wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:41 pm
But I find myself Endura curious. Does it have a place between the Endela & the SS Stretch?
Is it a must-have in the Seki lineup?
Sell me on the Endura
I think it comes down to styling and blade length. The Endura has a classic Spyderco shape and a nice length. Personally, I think it's about the Goldilocks length. If you go with the Police 4, it's nice, but the knife is somewhat big. Your Endela and SS Stretch are nice, but they're on the short side. In that blade length, I think the Stretch 2 XL is a little prettier.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I think the Endura is extremely loved. But honestly for the people on this forum the endura is kinda one of those knives almost everybody likes but its a sleeper when it comes to conversations because its most of the time second in line to some other knife from like the military or Manix or salt lines just to name a few.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I have over 60 Spyderco's. I carry an Endura more often than any other. I have many exotic steels and elusive models yet I think I would choose my foliage green VG10 Endura or maybe the FRN SG2 Endura if I had to choose only one knife
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Coastal wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:18 pm
I predict Wartstein will sell you on it tomorrow.

He most likely will... in his wartsteinish annoyingly detailled too many words - way :winking-tongue

For now though let me just say this:

Whichever other Spydie (or other folder) I try: In the end I always come back to finding the Endura the best folder ever made.
And this despite I do compare it in real use to models in that same, by me preferred size range (Chief, Siren, Stretch XL, Goddard, even the "linerless Endura " Pac Salt...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i don't own an endura, personally, but it's not because i don't like the design. the biggest reason for me comes down to two words: pacific salt. the pacific salt is more compelling to me because it's such a wonderful knife to carry always. i think the endura is still an important knife though and think it's still relevant, especially as the basis of other great models like the endura wharncliffe, matriarch 2, and pacific salt.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have to agree with LB . I only have a Pacific ,and lean more towards other large knife models mainly from an ergonomic standpoint . I have had several over the years and still would like one someday in some unique steel . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Absolutely…the Endela is a bit more stout and has more belly than its brethren. The ss stretch is a choiled slicer. It excels at cardboard and any other task where a thicker blade might get stopped up.

The Endura occupies a middle ground. The blade isn’t as substantial as the Endela but it’s not quite thin to the point where you might start to worry about the tip when piercing a bag of this or that. Comfortable, general purpose knife that just WORKS whenever you pull it out.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I can’t believe you started this thread. You beat me to it. I was about to ask people on the forum to sell me the Endura. Never owned a ffg Endura, only a foliage green saber ground combo edge one. For some misterious reason the ffg Endura started to grow on me exactly when I revisited my old saber ground Delica and I realized that I like the looks of it more than the ffg Delica. It must be something wrong with me.🤷‍♂️
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:08 am
... to sell me the Endura....

I will, as soon as I have time... :beaming-face
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Catchadroppimgknife

Post by Catchadroppimgknife »

Oh yes - I do enjoy them :cheap-sunglasses

(and we needs some pics in this thread! )

Last edited by Catchadroppimgknife on Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:13 am
elena86 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:08 am
... to sell me the Endura....

I will, as soon as I have time... :beaming-face
Aha, you are trying to wartsteinize me ! You did the same with the SE Salt2 and I ended up buying two of them. It’s a dangerous bug 😩
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I love the K390 Wharncliff Endura and Spyderhawk 😭(discontinued)

The Emerson Wave Endura and Matriarch 🤠

Pac Salt too.

No matter what blade you put on it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I keep an Endura in my backpack all the time, you forget it's there until you need it.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Most of us have ‘em. Many of us carry them in one form or another. My guess is the Endura is still plenty loved but obviously is not the newest/hottest design so they quietly serve on in our pockets. Hard to think of a more capable cutting tool to be honest.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Has there ever been a Cruwear Endura? I did a quick search but couldn’t find one.
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

If you like the Endela then there will be nothing to dislike about the Endura. I'm the odd one out on ergonomics so my view is skewed. Ive tried and failed to love the PM2, Para 3, and Delica. The Caribbean, Manix, Leaf/Rockjumper and Lil Native are in my top 5 spydies. If I could only have one knife from any brand, even though it's not currently my most carried, the Endura would be the right choice. It may not be the sexiest, the fidgetiest, the most hyped, but it is one of the most perfect knives ever designed. The Endura has the uncanny ability to disappear when clipped in your pocket even though it has a strong lock, steel liners, and a 3.75" blade. It punches above it's weight class as an edc, and comes in enough variations that anyone could find an ideal enough version. Tough enough(especially in a saber grind) to bring to the job site everyday while being thin and light enough to forget at times you brought it. It's only real fault is that it's not as easy to take apart and reassemble as a Native 5, but that's not a big enough reason to not own one. The Endura will make happy when you use it and sad enough if you lose it that you'll buy another one to replace it. On paper it may not be the knife of your dreams but it is the knife you need.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I imagine the Endura family brings Spyderco sales that are steadier and larger than any of the company’s numerous but more expensive other families.

We don’t hear about the Endura family very much here, relatively speaking, because most of us are looking for the latest-and-greatest model or for a collection piece, whereas the world is merely looking for something good enough and finding in the Endura family much more than that.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”