Catcherman LC200N Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VandymanG

Re: Catcherman LC200N Sprint Run

Post by VandymanG »

JoviAl wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:23 am
Is it just me, or is anyone else checking this thread twice daily in the hope of seeing a drop date for this knife?
Umm since I don’t always log in you have no proof.
I think it’s more like 10 or 20 times a day. Nope, nope 👎 I’m sure it’s just once daily. 😁
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use AEB-L and K294
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The U.K. importer is offering pre-order on these with an anticipated release date of 22/01/24.

I haven’t pre-ordered anything since the Massdrop SuperGold debacle but I couldn’t resist this, as it’s long been a nearly-grail for me, for food prep /bbq.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:48 am
The U.K. importer is offering pre-order on these with an anticipated release date of 22/01/24.

I haven’t pre-ordered anything since the Massdrop SuperGold debacle but I couldn’t resist this, as it’s long been a nearly-grail for me, for food prep /bbq.
How does one go about accessing the pre-order? Shipping from the UK is surprisingly reasonable to Singapore.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

JoviAl wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:21 am
ChrisinHove wrote:

How does one go about accessing the pre-order? Shipping from the UK is surprisingly reasonable to Singapore.
Just hit the “Preorder” button 🤣

https://www.edgarbrothers.com/categorie ... print-run/
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

What a stressful 5mn...the payment system was not working for some reason but my wife stepped up and helped me out from her phone.

It seems I secured one!

Thanks a lot @ChrisinHove!
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:41 am
JoviAl wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:21 am
ChrisinHove wrote:

Just hit the “Preorder” button 🤣

https://www.edgarbrothers.com/categorie ... print-run/
You, Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar! I’ve managed to get one pre-ordered to a relative in the UK. I am as happy as a Sus Scrofa
Domesticus in faeces right now 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
- Al

Dream knives -
Fharing45

Post by Fharing45 »

OK thought I'd bump this. Waiting for this to spend my $ on. I will take 2.
Maybe before spring fishing season gears up. ;) ;) :bug-red-white :bug-red-white :bug-red-white
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:58 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:00 am
vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:20 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:41 am
Vivi it absolutely amazed me when I started using my AUS-8, Full SE version of the Catcherman a few years ago for food applications. As you mentioned that extra edge length along with the blade geometry both are close to perfect for most food cutting chores I've encountered.

They thinned the blade quite a bit when they started using the MBS-26 steel over the AUS-8. But they are both great for kitchen chores. And when I bought my very first Catcherman way back in about 2004 I think it was I had no idea that it would be good for anything aside what it was mainly designed for ( filleting and field dressing fish).

It is amazing how so many of Spyderco's great models have so many uses for everyday chores.
JD and others who actually have experience with a Catcherman already:

It must be great (for a folder) for food prep indeed, but where are its limits when it comes to general EDC / outdoor use?
When does the blade perhaps get too fragile or to "flexy"?
What are the more or less reasonable folder tasks a Catcherman should better NOT be pressed into performing those?
Do keep in mind that the blade on the older AUS-8 Catcherman model was just a bit thicker than the MBS-26 and H-1 models. Albeit I never noticed any obvious disadvantages with the newer renditions of the Catcherman.

I'm still holding out hope that they will make some of these LC200N Catcherman models available in full SE. The Catcherman is a dream food knife as well as being a super outdoor hunting/fishing knife. Every job I ever used any of my Catcherman models on the results were great.
nevermas

Post by nevermas »

I am pumped for this one, as it harkens back to the colors of the USN Catcherman that I missed out on but with updated steel and no coating on the blade.
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

Interesting piece!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Again I think it would be extremely important for the overall popularity of the Catcherman model for them to make a fully serrated version of it. Why they ever quit offering the Catcherman in full SE really baffles me. Especially as well as it performs with TEETH. My older AUS-8, full SE version ( late 90s) is probably my most used Spyderco blade I have ever owned and used.

I do believe that a full SE version with a blade made with LC200N would be great for the kitchen as well as hunting/fishing uses. I would also welcome a fixed blade version of the C-17 Catcherman as well.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

As a matter of interest.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:38 am
Again I think it would be extremely important for the overall popularity of the Catcherman model for them to make a fully serrated version of it. Why they ever quit offering the Catcherman in full SE really baffles me. Especially as well as it performs with TEETH. My older AUS-8, full SE version ( late 90s) is probably my most used Spyderco blade I have ever owned and used.

I do believe that a full SE version with a blade made with LC200N would be great for the kitchen as well as hunting/fishing uses. I would also welcome a fixed blade version of the C-17 Catcherman as well.
For my EDC surf fishing knife, my choice is a full SE salt. For most other fish and game duties involving much slicing of flesh my preference is PE.......especially when it comes to filleting fish or skinning big game.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

For Europeans:
Here https://www.com2you-biwak.de/Spyderco-C ... NT-23.html the Catcherman can be preordered (they charge a bit more though than for example Lamnia will. Otherwise: Good dealer, I bought from them already, everything went smoothly and well).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:38 am

As a matter of interest.
Interesting video, although the real question I’ve come away with from watching it is - where is that guy’s accent from? Is it Irish, is it American, is it something else?!
- Al

Dream knives -
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

JoviAl wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:03 am
ChrisinHove wrote:

As a matter of interest.
Interesting video, although the real question I’ve come away with from watching it is - where is that guy’s accent from? Is it Irish, is it American, is it something else?!
Cliff Stamp RIP was from Newfoundland, I believe.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Gotta admit, I’ve never paid this knife much attention but just now checked the specs. Only 1.8 mm blade stock? Yes please! I suddenly need one.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:30 am
JoviAl wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:03 am
ChrisinHove wrote:

As a matter of interest.
Cliff Stamp RIP was from Newfoundland, I believe.
I didn’t realise that was Cliff Stamp in the video. I see what people mean when they talk about his calm and measured delivery - a very pleasant counterpoint to the usual over the top reviews proliferating the internet these days.
- Al

Dream knives -
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:58 am
It must be great (for a folder) for food prep indeed, but where are its limits when it comes to general EDC / outdoor use?
When does the blade perhaps get too fragile or to "flexy"?
What are the more or less reasonable folder tasks a Catcherman should better NOT be pressed into performing those?

Bumping these questions, I'm curious also. Catcherman has 0.07" blade thickness ...that's not quite the blade thickness of the Chaparral (0.08") but in a long 4.6" blade. Seems comparable to several of Spyderco's kitchen knives:

Counter Puppy is 0.08",
Santoku is 0.07",
Small Utility Knife is 0.06".

I've not used knives this thin for outdoor use, so don't have any idea of what tasks you could or could not ask them to do. Is it reasonable to say you'd not want to subject a blade of this thinness to "hard outdoor use" (however that's defined)? Keeping in mind that LC200N is a tough steel, which Larrin rates it at 8.5/10 for toughness (but only 3/10 for edge retention).
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
vivi

Post by vivi »

I have a victorinox 4" paring knife I made a kydex sheath to use as an ultralight hiking knife & camp food prep blade. It handles carving wood, cutting rope and cardboard, and of course food prep just fine.

It can flex a little if I'm shaping wood with the edge by the tip, but it handles utility stuff fine in my opinion.

The catcherman will be longer and therefore more flexible at the tip. Wouldn't be the best choice for hard tip work, like stabbing a hole in a 5 gallon bucket of commercial dishwasher chemicals, but otherwise I think it'll work fine for my uses.

I'm more concerned about the clip retention than the blade. If Spyderco still offers metal clip installation for broken off plastic clips, I may go that route. In my experience molded clips stsrt out good but lose their retention quickly.
:unicorn