What do you view as the main grip on these types of knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Behind the choil
25%
Using the choil
38%
Depends on the specific model
37%

Total votes: 68

vivi

Post by vivi »

On knives that offer a comfortable, full grip for you either using the choil, or behind the choil, what do you view as the main grip?
:unicorn
riclaw

Re: What do you view as the main grip on these types of knives?

Post by riclaw »

Depends. Using the choil = PM2 and Native. Behind the choil = PM2 wharnie and Manix XL
- Richard
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

If it's there, I'm pretty sure I always use it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Differently to you (as I know) I do use a choil (if it´s there) way more often than gripping the knife behind the choil.

Even on my Enduras / Endelas / Pac Salts... choking up on the ricasso / kick is probably my most used grip.

I guess I like my hand being placed close to the edge and just the more "center balanced" feel and kind of leverage these choil / ricasso grips give.
Or I am just so used to it that it often feels more natural.

Only time when I predominantly grip a knife behind the choil is when cutting on a surface / board for the better clearance of the hand and thus also sometimes more of the actual edge can be used to do the cut (depending on size and diameter of the matter that gets cut).
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Added to my post above:

- Of course there are those (smaller) models where I almost have to use the choil anyway for a good (four finger) grip (Native, Chaparral, Para 3...)

- I´d really be pretty unhappy with the sheer existence of a choil in larger models if I would not actually like to use it.
Would feel like a lot of wasted space (If there´d be actual EDGE instead of a choil that is a different story: I like that more of cutting edge and choke up on the very edge anyway too not to seldom).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

If a knife has a usable choil, I utilize it at least 90% of the time...even when just using the tip with my index finger along the spine my middle finger is in the choil.

ETA: If I didn't like or use choils, I wouldn't buy knives that had them. The wasted blade would drive me crazy; overly large ricassos are definitely a pet peeve...
Last edited by Airlsee on Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
So it goes.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I pretty much always use the choil. True or not, I feel I have better control of the blade this way.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Depends on the model and the grip appropriate for the task at hand.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
vivi

Post by vivi »

Interesting responses, I thought it'd be closer to a 50/50 split.

I've noticed with some folks if I hand them say, a Police, their hand goes straight to the choil. Others never seem to think about gripping it that way.

Some models I'm more inclined to use them than not.

Military, Police and other knives with steep thumb ramps, I almost never use them.

Chief, Manix XL and other models with no thumb ramp or a shallow one, I use them 10-15% of the time or so.
Airlsee wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:09 am
If a knife has a usable choil I utilize it at least 90% of the time...even when just using the tip with my index finger along the spine my middle finger is in the choil.
I like doing the same with choils when I have my index finger on the spine for controlled tip work.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

For me it depends more on the task than the model. I feel as though I can cut with more force with a full grip over a choil grip.
- Nick :bug-red
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I can not really tell what my main grip is because when i am using my Manixes or Shamans its about a 50/50 split for me if i use the choil or not.
It all kinda depends what i am cutting and how the acces to the thing i need to cut is.
Personally i do not understand the problem some people have with choils. I find them a great “option” in use and do not personally ever found it being in the way for me. The only thing it does for me is give me more blade controle depending if i need it or not so i think there great.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I voted depends on the specific model.

With my Military, Native Chief, Police 4 LWT, and PM2, I rarely use the choil; I only use it if I need extra control, which isn't very often.

I always use the choil when using:

UKPK Salt
Native 5
Dragonfly

IMO, those designs pretty much 'force' you to use the choil. I can use my Native 5 behind the choil, but the handle then feels too small, it's uncomfortable, and the amount of choil is too much, so it's better using the choil.

IMO, the UKPK Salt not only requires you to use the choil (for safety's sake), but it's the most naturally comfortable "must use the choil" knife in use (for me).

It's about 50/50 with my Para 3.

Jim
TimButterfield

Post by TimButterfield »

Depends. For me, it depends both on the handle and what I'm doing. With my Chaparral, I always use the choil as the handle is too short to get four fingers on it otherwise. With the PM2 and Native Chief, I usually do not use the choil as the handle is plenty large enough for me (glove size L). However, if I need finer control with those, I might move up to the choil.
vivi

Post by vivi »

apollo wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:35 am
I can not really tell what my main grip is because when i am using my Manixes or Shamans its about a 50/50 split for me if i use the choil or not.
It all kinda depends what i am cutting and how the acces to the thing i need to cut is.
Personally i do not understand the problem some people have with choils. I find them a great “option” in use and do not personally ever found it being in the way for me. The only thing it does for me is give me more blade controle depending if i need it or not so i think there great.
I wouldn't say I have a problem with them, as 3/4 of my favorite folding spydies have them, but I suspect I'd like many models better without them.

From my perspective, if I'm only using the choil on my manix XL 10% of the time, I'd get a lot more utility out of more cutting edge instead. In fact I drew a mock-up of a choil-less Manix XL and I love how it looks, but I can't find it at the moment.

But again, it isn't a deal breaker. There are times I like having the option of the choil, but I don't use them enough to value them much.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I forgot to mention my Manix 2. I almost never use the choil on that. It feels perfect without using it.

Jim
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

It's weird, but I find myself using the choil if it is there. I don't have a larger knife like a Chief or Millie, it might be different in those cases. With smaller knives, it's 100% choil. I have some Casey Lynch scales for a Delica that mimic a choil, which I use. Switch over to a "normal" Delica and I don't use the ricasso ever. It's like a Pavlovian response.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i can get a full grip behind the choil on the manix, but i always use the choil. i don't like being far away from the edge and prefer the ergonomics in that position as well.

i'm curious to see if it'll be the same when i get a stretch 2 xl and a military 2, but it likely will be.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I personally prefer behind the choil the majority of the time, so I voted behind the choil. Just feels more comfortable to me. Your finger lands on a thicker part of the grip as opposed to the blade thickness or thinness compared to the handle. Part of why I prefer choiless models, but it is not such an issue that I will ever steer clear of a model with a choil. If I am using the back of the blade with some force, I am using the choil. If I am using the tip of the blade for some detail work, I am using the choil and some times just pinching from the sides.

Also, on smaller models where you are forced to use the choil (Native, Caly, UKPK, Chap, etc.) it will be almost 100% of the time. But I don't see much of a choice on those models.

Another thing to note, I feel like a lot of handles are scuplted for behind the choil grips. Almost like the choil is for when you have to choke up and not meant to have the same comfort. I am carrying a PM2 today and the palm swell feels made for behind the choil grip. The swell does not make a lot of sense to me when choking up.

Bring on the Bodagalicious!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

It depends on how I am using the knife.

If it is something slow, methodical, where I am trying to be accurate, I'll choke up and use the choil 100% of the time.

If it is a split second use of the tool as a weapon, I'll try to stay as far away from the edge and choil as possible. Using a choil when using the knife in self defense is downright dangerous. I do not prefer choils on self defense knives, I prefer decent sized nubs that come down and prevent the hand from moving fore or aft of the handle.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:02 am
If it's there, I'm pretty sure I always use it.
Pretty much me, as well.

My life is now (and has been) more or less about precise cutting, not powerful stabs or slashes.

Even on my choil-less/handle-forward designs, my hand is forward-er/est…

ETA Voted “Using the choil”.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”