What are your thoughts on the Autonomy 2?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Stas

What are your thoughts on the Autonomy 2?

Post by Stas »

It's that peculiar feeling when a knife you didn't pay much attention to for years suddenly climbs up your wish list. Perhaps I can partially blame Evil D for this... In reality, I don't need a new knife, especially since I've been trying to stick to "users only" and "one in, one out" rules for my knife collection lately. I also don't expect it to replace my trusty H1 Pacific Salt. However, I still have at least two Seki with LC200N steel on my wish list, and I'm beginning to consider that having a single Autonomy might be a better choice than two FRNs.

What's your take on the Autonomy 2? Do you enjoy using it? Are you planning to buy one? Perhaps you're holding out for an updated steel version? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Dnwrghtsr

Re: What are your thoughts on the Autonomy 2?

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

I bought one last MAP sale. Black fully serrated. I like it, my only auto. Mostly a self defense knife. Probably will use it at the ocean this winter. Deploys like lightning built like a tank with the weight that goes with it. I figured out how to close the blade with one hand and I like that.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
endura3

Post by endura3 »

One of my favorite knives! I have a couple Pro-Techs which are excellent autos, but the Autonomy does a lot of things even better. The lock is more robust, it has essentially zero play after a couple years of use, the firing button is more accessible, and it's a zero-maintanence, rust-proof knife. Definitely the best auto I've ever come across and a brilliant design.

The only thing about it that I don't like is the small size of the safety and its close proximity to the firing button. That makes it prohibitively difficult to disengage the safety with gloves on.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

My thoughts are that its going to jump to the very top of my list as soon as I move to a state where Im allowed to carry it
Stas

Post by Stas »

endura3 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:59 am

One of my favorite knives! I have a couple Pro-Techs which are excellent autos, but the Autonomy does a lot of things even better. The lock is more robust, it has essentially zero play after a couple years of use, the firing button is more accessible, and it's a zero-maintanence, rust-proof knife. Definitely the best auto I've ever come across and a brilliant design.

The only thing about it that I don't like is the small size of the safety and its close proximity to the firing button. That makes it prohibitively difficult to disengage the safety with gloves on.
Love the patina :)
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

I bought a partially serrated seconds from Arizona Knife Co. for like $170 and I’m very happy with it. Apparently they get the Autonomy 2 seconds from Spyderco. It’s in perfect shape.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

It's the best side opening automatic ever made. At least if you actually want to use it like a knife. The button setup is pretty genius. It's self cleaning and is like a modified compression lock. Spring is easily serviced by the user. The blade won't rust. Easy to sharpen. Currently my edc. Works very well with gloves. Just buy one. It'll grow on you.
Stas

Post by Stas »

Thank for the replies!
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:58 am
My thoughts are that its going to jump to the very top of my list as soon as I move to a state where Im allowed to carry it
Same
Just one more knife...
childjulia179

Post by childjulia179 »

I have this knife. It's awsome
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Moving to the Restricted Products section.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Stas

Post by Stas »

Thanx Kristi
larsen34

Post by larsen34 »

It's a unique design with a lot to offer,I haven't had the opportunity to use an Autonomy 2 myself, but I have read many positive reviews from other people.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear larsen34:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Stas

Post by Stas »

larsen34 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:00 am
It's a unique design with a lot to offer,I haven't had the opportunity to use an Autonomy 2 myself, but I have read many positive reviews from other people.
I recently purchased Caribbean and like it a lot. So I think I will like Autonomy 2.

I have a feeling it may be updated with Magnacut at some point...
imyavetra

Post by imyavetra »

endura3 wrote:

Love the amount of use that knife has seen! Is it your main EDC? I live in a cold, sometimes arctic environment and hope to check out the Autonomy some day. However, after trying a thicker Spyderco (the Assist), I learned that thinner knives like the Delica and Endura work much better for me, as I mainly carry my Spyderco IWD (inside the waistband). I'll just have to buy one and try it, for science :squinting-tongue
endura3

Post by endura3 »

imyavetra wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:43 pm
endura3 wrote:

Love the amount of use that knife has seen! Is it your main EDC? I live in a cold, sometimes arctic environment and hope to check out the Autonomy some day. However, after trying a thicker Spyderco (the Assist), I learned that thinner knives like the Delica and Endura work much better for me, as I mainly carry my Spyderco IWD (inside the waistband). I'll just have to buy one and try it, for science :squinting-tongue
Thank you! It was for a few years and I still carry it pretty often. I've similarly shifted towards carrying thinner/lighter knives but I'd always recommend the Autonomy haha. Just a great tank of a knife and IMO perfect aside from my nitpicky issue with the safety.

The only reason that even bothers me is because I'm left handed - if you carry the knife on your right side, the button rests against your leg and is really hard to accidentally fire, but when carrying it on the left the button sticks out, "away" from your leg. I was carrying some boards one day and accidentally hit the button with one, and the knife fired in my pocket. I noticed right away and didn't get cut, but I've always carried it with the safety on (or in "righty" configuration) since then.

And again, I can't operate the safety with gloves on unfortunately (which are needed for a lot of the year where I live). But as a righty, this would be no issue because it can be carried safely in pocket with the safety off provided the button is facing "inwards".

But it's a great knife. One of my favorites for sure
Stas

Post by Stas »

Finally… Just ordered one 😊
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Stas wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:45 pm
Finally… Just ordered one 😊
Nice! I got mine (and my Dad as well) for Christmas. It is wicked sharp out of the box and nice and solid in hand. Cant wait to carry it and use it. My dad seems to really use his knives hard in the yard so I'm excited to see what he does to his.
Here is mine still very new:
a2.jpg
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

This photo provides a good size comparison to a Dragonfly and Zippo along with a pocket watch.

My thoughts are it is a stunning knife and I am quite glad I got it. I debated for quite a while and then what the heck which is what usually happens. In addition to looking nice (for now), it will start to see some pocket time soon.

I have gotten used to engage/disengage of the lock fairly easily for safety purposes. I really don't want to explain a large cut to the wife, plus I prefer not to have accidents.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2