Native 5 or Delica 4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jhall100

Native 5 or Delica 4

Post by jhall100 »

Which one do you guys like best between the Native and Delica? I’m trying to decide between the two both have the same Steel so that is not a factor. The knife would be used for edc tasks. Thanks
TazKristi

Re: Native 5 or Delica 4

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, jhall100:
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

All things being equal Native 5, it’s an extremely nice knife.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Native 5 is a beefy, stout little knife. Especially the g10 model, which makes the delica look and feel like a toy. Dont get me wrong the delica is a nice knife and has its place int he knife world but it just doesnt compare to the native by any standard.
benben

Post by benben »

You really can't go wrong with either, but I'd take my old G-10 S35VN Native 5 over any Delica ever made!

Let me throw another one into the mix....the newly discontinued serrated LC200N Salt 2 Wharncliffe, it's in my pocket today, amazing little Delica sized knife that I'm probably gonna get another one now before they get gone.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

benben wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:30 am
You really can't go wrong with either, but I'd take my old G-10 S35VN Native 5 over any Delica ever made!

Let me throw another one into the mix....the newly discontinued serrated LC200N Salt 2 Wharncliffe, it's in my pocket today, amazing little Delica sized knife that I'm probably gonna get another one now before they get gone.
Agreed on all accounts. Also, you have to consider that the native is a lot more expensive than the delica and thats for a good reason. And blade steel is a factor too. You can sharpen a delica on the bottom of a coffee mug if you had to, but the native is going to require a proper stone. So that may be a factor for you as well
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I am a big Delica fan. Small but capable knife with nice geometry, and there are some interesting options for steel. That said, the Native LW is an interesting model. The ease in which you can take apart the knife is refreshing. I've stopped taking my knives apart with any frequency. But when the time comes, the FRN Seki models feel harder than they need to be. I tend to look at the Golden LWs and wonder why more knives aren't like that (I get it, Seki has expertise in the current configuration and it would cost a lot to make new molds, etc.).
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

It’s close but for me overall it’s the delica. The native has slightly better and more handfilling ergos, but for me I prefer overall slimmer profile I can make do and cut anything the native can do comfortably with a delica, but for an edc I want the easier carry riding in my pocket.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Delica, and for me it's not particularly close.

I like the thinner blade, I like the thinner/lighter handle, and I like that it has a little bit more edge length without the choil.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have several of each because I really like both models. That said, I actually carry and use the Delicas more. Not sure why because they both fit my hand well.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
kobold

Post by kobold »

I still don't own a Delica, but I have Chaparrals, Natives, Dragonflies and an awesome Sage.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

A Native Salt was my first Spyderco folder, and I carried it for three years or so. Great knife, loved it, had to file down the steel on the choil a little bit or it would chafe if using it for long periods, but it's a wonderful knife. In the course of collecting Spydies I eventually acquired a Salt 2 (same handle as the Delica) in LC200N, and it (along with the H1 version) has almost completely displaced the Native. I love the Native and still carry it occasionally but I've found that I strongly prefer not to have a choil.

I know it wasn't on your list but I've found the Rock/Leaf Jumper to be a nice middle ground between the Native and the Delica. If/when there is a salt option it will probably become my most carried.

At the end of the day, ergonomics are everything. Go with what fits your hands the best.
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

Delica, but has to be a Wharncliffe.
I tried to like the Native, but I prefer the Delica's blade angle in relation to the grip.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Native for me - can't stand the Delica "points." The lockup being a lot stiffer, and the knife being made in the USA helps a lot too.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I think the Caly jr and 3 are like the perfect in between blend of design features between these two models in a way. You get the leaf shape blade, finger choil, and similar handle belly shape from the native, and from the delica, the sleeker profile, more lowered tip and downward blade angle, and the thumb ramp for added edge control.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I would tell you pick the Native 5.
They are basically equils in performance.
But i find the Native more comfortable and nicer looking then the delica.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Delica for me. Blade length and cutting ability to size is ratio preferable and I don't get much from the native's choil.
Catchadroppimgknife

Post by Catchadroppimgknife »

Own both - enjoy both. I think I feel more locked in with the Native - but this toothy Delica came to me today and I’m really enjoying her. SE in K390 should be fun!
(And there are some very good deals still out there still!)

mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Native 5 for me, as it fits my hand better. The Delica is fine as well, and I have several variants, but I like the Native 5 more.

If you can, try both out at a store to see which suits you better.
para3 delica4 native5 02.jpg
para3 delica4 native5 03.jpg
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

As you can see there are loyalties for both models . Have handled these knives ? If undecided may be a good idea to check them out and see how they are for you in hand . Ultimately it is about you so see what makes your hand happy . I have both models and like both , but for edc the Native would be in my pocket . By the way welcome to the Forum ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau