Native Chief Lightweight!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buddafucco

Re: Native Chief Lightweight!!!

Post by Buddafucco »

Black DLC Blade ComboEdge:
Spyderco.com... https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... Blade/2411
•• Beau
R100

Post by R100 »

Like others here I have been waiting for either Magnacut or SPY27 but REC had the all black DLC PE for $101 on the tax day sale and I couldn't resist. Being in Australia I won't see it for a couple of weeks but I sure am looking forward to it!

Dan
olywa

Post by olywa »

Still waiting for the Spy27 myself. That or the Magnacut Salt PE.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Black DLC Blade ComboEdge:
Northwest Knives... https://northwestknives.com/products/sp ... -c244psbbk

•• Beau
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Got my $100 Native Chief LW from the MAPnesty sale this week. I've wanted a Chief since the prototype was first shown off at a show like 10 years ago. The price was certainly right. So pretty excited when I got the package today... but...

Ok first off the pivot is extremely stiff. I had to two hand open it to get it open. I loosened the pivot screws a bit and still stiff. Loosened them all the way and surprisingly still stiff. Added some oil which helped a little bit. I've got it functional but I'm a bit confused at what is putting so much tension on the pivot. But this is will sort out eventually, it may just need a little breakin.

The real problem is the clip isn't long enough to land on the smooth part of the scales (the part with the logo). I'm at a loss as to how to get this in and out of a pocket without snagging and destroying the material. Did a quick google and I'm not the first to notice this. Is there a solution? Does someone make a longer replacement clip?

I'm pretty disappointed. It seems like such an obvious miss in the design.
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:40 pm
Got my $100 Native Chief LW from the MAPnesty sale this week. I've wanted a Chief since the prototype was first shown off at a show like 10 years ago. The price was certainly right. So pretty excited when I got the package today... but...

Ok first off the pivot is extremely stiff. I had to two hand open it to get it open. I loosened the pivot screws a bit and still stiff. Loosened them all the way and surprisingly still stiff. Added some oil which helped a little bit. I've got it functional but I'm a bit confused at what is putting so much tension on the pivot. But this is will sort out eventually, it may just need a little breakin.

The real problem is the clip isn't long enough to land on the smooth part of the scales (the part with the logo). I'm at a loss as to how to get this in and out of a pocket without snagging and destroying the material. Did a quick google and I'm not the first to notice this. Is there a solution? Does someone make a longer replacement clip?

I'm pretty disappointed. It seems like such an obvious miss in the design.
Sounds like there might be dust or grit from manufacturing in the pivot area, maybe on or under the washers. If you're up to disassembling it, you can clean out whatever's trapped in there and polish the washers while you've got it apart.

As for aftermarket clips, I put Lynch Northwest deep carry clips on nearly all my folders as soon as they arrive. Not exactly cheap but they're really good quality and come with a good warranty.
Jack
Arachnophobic Spyderco fan
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

On fiddling with this more the lock spring tension is really strong. This makes it stiffer than need be. But it’s definitely breaking in. But the pivot was torqued down so tight out of the box it was unusable.

A deep carry clip won’t help the clip problem. It’s fundamentally an issue with the scales being so jagged where the clip contacts. The clip needs to be at least 1/4” longer. I stuck some painters tape under the clip and that helps a ton. It’s not a great solution though.

This knife is a little puzzling. The clip center hole lines up perfectly with the lanyard hole. But when you put it on the other end of the knife for tip down carry it doesn’t line up right with the pivot screw so you can’t adjust the pivot screw without removing the clip. There is jimping on the lock bar that is recessed so it serves no purpose. The knife would be unusable if sold to a customer that didn’t own a torx set.

I don’t think I’ve had so many question marks with any other Spyderco. The Astute I got recently did have a similar stiffness problem out of the box, though the rest of that knife is really perfect.

On the bright side the blade is amazingly sharp, including the serrations. The blade is really magnificent. And the knife action though stiff is very snappy.
James Y

Post by James Y »

The rough texturing where the clip presses down, which I saw in the photos, is exactly why I immediately eliminated the LWT version of the Native Chief from the possibility of ever wanting one in the future. I know there are some for whom this isn't a big deal at all, but it is for me. I don't care how much added carry security it might add; if the rough texturing at that spot is a pocket eater, it's a deal breaker for me.

I'm a bit surprised that the positioning of the flat logo amid the rough texturing wasn't taken into consideration. Spyderco is usually very meticulous in the small details.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Yeah I wish I had caught this earlier. I’ve seen other brands screw that up but I basically trust Spyderco to get things right. And obviously no company is perfect.

The tape trick works. I’m gonna carry it a bit and see how it goes. It’s a lot more knife than I usually like to carry, so if it isn’t working out I’ll just flip it.
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

I just rechecked the stick image of the Spy27 NC on BHQ, I see what you mean about the clip alignment. It looks like they put a clip from a Native 5 on it... WTH?

Thanks for bringing up this issue, I'll wait and see if they get the clip issues ironed out before I put in a pre-order. I never would've even thought to check something like this - especially from Spyderco.
Jack
Arachnophobic Spyderco fan
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I wonder if there is a longer clip from another model that would work.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I really wanted to go a full year without posting but whatever.
I just got one of these. Just looked at it and adjusted the clip. The dipped part of the clip (lower contact point) does land on the oval part of the handle when the clip is centered (tip up atleast) so technically I would say its not too short to the point of being wrong. Its very similar to the police 4 lightweight in the sense that the contact point is near or at the edge of the oval and this may cause some bunching of your pocket material. Its the sort of thing that once I had the clip "centered" on the police 4 and just forgot about it, then it never bothered me... Im sure this knife will be the same way.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

That's what I was thinking too, from looking at the pictures. I don't want to doubt anyone who actually has the knife in hand, but it would be surprising for Spyderco to goof that up. I have one on the way, so I'll find out soon.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Took the knife apart. No sign of any debris or dust. While I had it open I tweaked the lock spring a bit. Put some oil in the pivot and on the “washer” part of the scales. Put it back together, adjusted pivot screws, and it’s smooth enough to open and close now.

Reinstalled the clip (tip down) and realized the action is very stiff again. Eventually figured out the clip screws are too long and are pressing on the blade. Kind of frustrating.

And to VooDooChild’s point, yes the clip touches down on the edge of the logo. No it’s not sufficient to prevent snagging/shredding of the pocket.
Last edited by zhyla on Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Again, not trying to doubt you, but I sure hope the one I get is better. I doubt I'll keep it if it has the issues yours has.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Honestly everything is fixable except the clip issue. Hope yours at least comes in an openable state.
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

I tested mine and it does have some snag on the pocket. I never noticed before because it's so light that I just carry it loose in my pocket. My Resilience is almost identical in size and clip size, but it hits the oval a tad bit more than the Native Chief and it doesn't snag my pocket. The Native Chief clip also want's to move around on the oval more than others, I have tightened it a few times and i dare not go any further. I still love how lightweight it is and I use it in the kitchen quite often. Great knife.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

For those who are concerned about pocket shred, but want to carry the knife anyway...any modifications possible? Could you fill in the grip troughs around the clip contact area with epoxy? Possibly sand the upper sharp tips of the grip squares a bit, at the clip contact area?

Alternately, what other longer pocket clips might fit the LW NC?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:03 pm
Could you fill in the grip troughs around the clip contact area with epoxy? Possibly sand the upper sharp tips of the grip squares a bit, at the clip contact area?
Yes, I think my first inclination is that black 2 part craft putty. I’m blanking on the name. RTV silicone could work and has the advantage you can probably remove it, but it might be kind of grabby.

You really only need to address about 1/4” of the scale I think.
Bolster wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:03 pm
Alternately, what other longer pocket clips might fit the LW NC?
It looks like Lynch at one point did a “long” clip. People are so obsessed with deep carry clips that it’s all I’ve found so far. Still looking though.