Scratches on Blade with Venev Stones?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bolster

Scratches on Blade with Venev Stones?

Post by Bolster »

I've noticed some unwanted scratches on blades after sharpening with Venev diamond stones on a Hapstone R2. The blade is clamped, the stones are on a guide rod, and obviously the stones never get close to the higher portions of the blade, just the edge. Yet, as you can see, scratches far up the blade.

The only explanation I can think of is: it may be from swarf? Maybe this happens with new Venev diamonds and is less an issue as the stone breaks in? But I'm uncertain -- Other causes?

Obviously the solution is to tape the blade, which I now do regularly, but I've not had this happen with other guided sharpening stones/systems.

What do you think is causing these high scratches? It's the only disappointment I have with the Hapstone/Venev setup. All else is wonderful, and the solution is relatively simple. But it has me curious.

I emailed Konstantin at Gritomatic and he offered no explanation, he just said "tape the blade" (which I told him I'm already doing).
Attachments
scratches on blade hapstone.jpeg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Zipper

Re: Scratches on Blade with Venev Stones?

Post by Zipper »

Hello @Bolster. I believe you are right, it is the swarf. When I got my KME and initially used it, a very similar thing happened. I remember emailing the guys at Oldawan Tools (where I bought the sharpening system) and they explained what happened.
Obviously when new, the stones release some of the diamond pieces (as they break in) and that becomes part of the swarf. I think the problem occurs when you wipe the swarf off between diamond progression. Your hand pressure and the tiny diamond fragments do the damage. It looks worse on DLC coated blades.
Particularly with new stones, instead of wiping away the swarf, I leave it. When I am finished (or if there is a build up) I take the knife over to the sink and gently run water over it.
The problem seems to be minimal once the stones are broken in after a few knives are sharpened.
Taping the blade also works. Just be careful the blade doesn’t move in the clamp, otherwise your angles will change.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Zipper wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 9:18 pm
Hello @Bolster. I believe you are right, it is the swarf. When I got my KME and initially used it, a very similar thing happened. I remember emailing the guys at Oldawan Tools (where I bought the sharpening system) and they explained what happened.
Obviously when new, the stones release some of the diamond pieces (as they break in) and that becomes part of the swarf. I think the problem occurs when you wipe the swarf off between diamond progression. Your hand pressure and the tiny diamond fragments do the damage. It looks worse on DLC coated blades.
Particularly with new stones, instead of wiping away the swarf, I leave it. When I am finished (or if there is a build up) I take the knife over to the sink and gently run water over it.
The problem seems to be minimal once the stones are broken in after a few knives are sharpened.
Taping the blade also works. Just be careful the blade doesn’t move in the clamp, otherwise your angles will change.

Thank you. I thought I noticed less of a problem as the stones had been used for maybe a half dozen sharpenings. I'm still spooked enough, that I tape!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Thanks so much for posting this and allowing me to avoid the problem before it happens. I received a Hapstone sharpener and Venev stones for Christmas, and I'm finally about to use it.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Coastal wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 11:08 am
Thanks so much for posting this and allowing me to avoid the problem before it happens. I received a Hapstone sharpener and Venev stones for Christmas, and I'm finally about to use it.

O man, you will love it. Looking forward to hearing your report.
maddoc

Post by maddoc »

https://forum.guns.ru/forummessage/224/1845429.htmlhere at this link you can view information on working with Venevsky diamonds.Maybe someone will be interested.And the scratches on the blade are from an abrasive suspension.It is better to seal the blade, for example, with masking tape.