Paramilitary or Manix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
akapennypincher

Paramilitary or Manix

Post by akapennypincher »

Similar but different🤫

What’s your favorite?

Why?

Can not decide what I want?

Down to 2, C81GLE2 v/s C101G2.

❓
Cowboyfromhell

Re: Paramilitary or Manix

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Get both....
akapennypincher

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:54 pm
Get both....
Well that is not possible as I have no 💰TREE, just Cactus.

I am Southpaw, but both work for Lefty Carry.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

I prefer the manix. The point on the handle side of the choil is longer which lets me push the knife into my palm more securely. I also prefer the half hump to the full hump. Captured liners are also not chamfered on the inside, which I find a bit uncomfortable, which is another point toward the manix (though that's possible to fix with some sand paper).

Ergonomics are a lot of personal preference, so ymmv.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Penny , have you had an opportunity to handle these knives ? I unable to sample I would suggest the Manix . The Manix for most has great ergonomics, the lock is ambidextrous, and is nicely balanced . I not saying the the Paramilitary is a bad knife , just trying to gauge what may be the most favorable attributes that may be of interest for you . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

manix is more hand filling, especially under your ring and pinky fingers. it's also better for lefties because it's designed to be fully ambidextrous instead of just being able to make it work as a lefty. it's also cheaper, which is great if you're a penny pincher.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Think I like the Manix handle and blade shape better. I think I like the PM2 cutting edge length and lock better. It truly is a toss up for me, not much help I know.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

The Manix is an incredible knife. That being said I highly prefer the pm2.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:08 pm
manix is more hand filling, especially under your ring and pinky fingers. it's also better for lefties because it's designed to be fully ambidextrous instead of just being able to make it work as a lefty. it's also cheaper, which is great if you're a penny pincher.
I see what you did there.

ladybug got a point, taking your username into consideration, the manix 2 makes lots of sense and may be a better value since its about $50 cheaper
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I like both, but the question didn't specify which Manix 2.
When I started using Spyderco there was only the G10 version of the Manix 2. It was heavier than the PM2 so for me I preferred the Manix 2 as a work knife and the PM2 for EDC. Now that we have the LW Manix 2 I like it for EDC too. I like the PM2 and LW Manix 2 about equally. If I could only have one I might pick the LW Manix 2 but I could certainly be real happy with either one. And strangely enough I'm in the minority that doesn't like the clip position of the Manix 2.
akapennypincher

I am frugal not cheap, when I buy say Tires, I shop for best price on exact item.

Recent bought tires after some wheeling, and dealing. Found shop that was about $400.00 difference to high price on same set.

Was in Office Depot last week buying some stuff with point for ink cartridge. Lady in
Line in front of me was buying Lazer Toner Cartridge. I said you know they match prices.

After find good price she stayed almost 27 bucks. She was happy camper, and told her to share info with friend.

Back to Knife both have positive, but I have been told replace Manix Ball Bearing, Spring mechanism for best working to open, close, lock.

Truth or over kill.?
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

That straight spine clip point blade on the PM2, whilst taking some time to get used to looking at, is the best general use blade shape that Spyderco makes imo. Add the negative blade angle and it constitutes an exceptionally powerful cutting tool.

And it is available in a left handed configuration, so that shouldn’t be a problem if that’s important to you.

The right handed model doesn’t present a problem for lefties in any case, closing very much like a mid back lock, so you could have your pick of what’s out there.

Hot spots are often mentioned as a thing for some with the PM2. I haven’t run into that, but I’m not cutting 1000’ of cardboard either, so…

It’s also the best implementation of the compression lock that I have come across to date.

I much prefer it to the Manix 2
Last edited by jwbnyc on Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

no one called you cheap. we just said the manix is a better value. neither is a "cheap" knife or a knife for cheap people.

the manix is perfectly fine the way it comes. nothing needs to be switched out. i regularly switch back and forth between a modded and a stock manix and they're both great. upgrades are fun, but unnecessary.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

PM2, and it’s not even close.

The Manix is a knife that tries really, really hard. The PM2 just does.

The Manix does have its fans, and it clearly works well for them. I think it’s a knife that would need a lot of tweaks for me to be truly happy with.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

I own both and find myself consistently pocketing the PM2.

If I had to do a lot of cutting with gloves on, or similar frequent heavier-duty cutting tasks I'd go with the Manix because I think it's got better ergonomics for extended cutting sessions and the CBBL is extremely easy to actuate even with super heavy leather gloves on. However most of my daily cutting tasks simply require me to pull the knife out, make the cut, and put it back in my pocket with one hand as quick as is safely possible, and for those tasks the compression lock wins.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

When I started here, the Manix2 was my first love and it has remained a favorite all these years.

I’ve had a PM2 (now in 10 steels) for as long as my first Manix2 (now in 7 steels not counting 4 other Manix models).

Early on, I just respected the PM2. Now, it, too is a favorite (and I’m left-handed).

And, there are things about the PM2 that make it my most favorite Spydie, at least when older or weirder Spydies are not alienating my affection.

If you can’t have both, I’d recommend the PM2.

It is the more general-purpose knife. It has a completely open construction for super easy cleaning. It’s so light and strong for all the function it offers. The design is elegantly spare. And its point will pick out any splinter.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

akapennypincher wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:17 pm
I....., but I have been told replace Manix Ball Bearing, Spring mechanism for best working to open, close, lock.

Truth or over kill.?

I am not entirely sure what exactly they / that person told you:; Replace the whole mechansim ? The ball cage lock? Just the spring?

Anyway: I don´t see any need whatsoever concerning either one.
The "mechanism" works great as it is, and in my extensive use (and not only "light") proved to be very strong, reliable and durable.

Some people find the lock a bit hard to operate though and replace just the spring with a "lighter" one, as I understand it.
Most though (including me) seem to be perfectly happy with the spring tension as it is, as far as I can tell from the comments here.-

Then some replace the ball cage lock with a Flytanium one. No NEED at all for this too imo, as said, the factory lock is really hard to kill already in my experience.
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

From the model numbers I can see that your choice is between the "base" S30V Manix and the (of courseS30V) lefty PM2:

Just out of those two I personally would probably go with the PM2 (not the lefty version for me)
Main reason:; The lighter weight (3.9 vs 4.9 oz) and also a bit the longer cutting edge (3.04 vs 2.88)

But if considering any of the other G10 versions,
I´d probably go Manix:
All of those are lighter (4.2 oz vs 4.9 oz) than the S30V version, due to their skeletonized liners (still the cutting edge is shorter than on the PM2 of course)

Pro Manix for me personally:

- I prefer the CBBL over the comp.lock
- I llke that the Manix has thinner blade stock, but still a (presumably, just by its shape) stronger tip
- The more subtle thumb ramp of the Manix suits my hand better
- The Manix is a better carry for me: Shorter in pocket, and the shape of the handle end makes it easier to slide the hand by the knife
- Curved (instead of straight) spine (just a tiny, most time irrelevant advantage though. In some very specific tasks it is advantageous if one can "rock" the knife on the spine a bit).

Pro PM2:

- Longer cutting edge
- Still lighter weight
- Comes in fully serrated edge (well, I think the LEFTY version does not - ?!)
- And, yes, straight instead of curved spine... I know what I said above, but if one uses the spine as a scraper sometimes, straight is better again

Now that all said: If you throw the Manix 2 LW in the mix, it is an easy choice for me: That one all day.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
olywa

Post by olywa »

If keeping them stock I always opt for the Manix 2. It just fits me better. But if I can mod 'em it really becomes a toss up for me. Contoured micarta turns the PM2 into a whole other animal for me, in a very good way. Sculpted micarta and a titanium ball cage makes the already great Manix 2 an even better knife.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

akapennypincher wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:17 pm
Back to Knife both have positive, but I have been told replace Manix Ball Bearing, Spring mechanism for best working to open, close, lock.
There's no need to change anything. Some people prefer a weaker spring so it's easier to close. That causes the detent to be weaker though.
The stock spring is pretty strong, but it's fine once you get used to it.