Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Airlsee

Re: Chaparral

Post by Airlsee »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:53 pm
Salty, thanks for trying the Chap in that capacity and for sharing you experience!! :clinking-mugs ...

For those that have been around here for several years, this post brings smiles. A classic... ;)

--
The Chap is an incredibly capable design that punches well above it's apparent weight.
So it goes.
mikestp

Post by mikestp »

... This actually bring me to a new idea: A Chap-like folder, but with a thick, contoured Shaman handle would be
That sounds a lot like a TRM Shadow to me although I've never had the chance to handle one.
I would love Spyderco to produce something similar.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

A chappy in k390 or cruwear would be an absolute laser beam.

That’s not to say that the xhp variants aren’t. I love mine…but man oh man. That blade stock with a steel that comes up effortlessly aggressive and hangs onto its front end sharpness. That would be unreal.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

XHP is good up to a point. Personally, in a small EDC folder corrosion resistance and edge retention are paramount. A default steel like M390/20CV/204P or M398 would serve better. Personally, I default to M390/20CV although M398 looks pretty sweet (haven’t tried it).

Data below is from Larrin.

Last edited by RamZar on Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Gernot -you da man!!! :clapping-hands
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

K390 or REX121 would be my top choices. It'd be very interesting to see performance on a knife with a laser beam edge like the Chaparral.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Matus

Post by Matus »

I really like my Chap since I got custom (a bit thicker than the original ones) carbon fiber handles for the FRN model. But I don't understand what the 'laser beam edge' is supposed the mean. The Thickness BTE is very comparable to most other EDC-oriented Spydercos.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

They mean the thinner blade stock.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:22 pm
I really like my Chap since I got custom (a bit thicker than the original ones) carbon fiber handles for the FRN model. But I don't understand what the 'laser beam edge' is supposed the mean. The Thickness BTE is very comparable to most other EDC-oriented Spydercos.

Yes, as far as I can tell with my limited skills the Chap is not really thin behind the egde, true (I actually thinned mine out a bit) - so the edge itself is not an extreme "laser beam" right from the factory

But it still cuts through (especially softer) material easier, cause the whole blade is less of a "wedge" than other Spydie blades (a completely unsharpened Chap would still "cut" things like cheese pretty well).
And the thin blade offers a great foundation to turn it into a real "laser beam"
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:26 pm
Matus wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:22 pm

Yes, as far as I can tell with my limited skills the Chap is not really thin behind the egde, true (I actually thinned mine out a bit) - so the edge itself is not an extreme "laser beam" right from the factory

But it still cuts through (especially softer) material easier, cause the whole blade is less of a "wedge" than other Spydie blades (a completely unsharpened Chap would still "cut" things like cheese pretty well).
And the thin blade offers a great foundation to turn it into a real "laser beam"
Other than D4 in FFG it cuts and slices better than say a Native or most others in that size at least IMO
Matus

Post by Matus »

twinboysdad wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:41 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:26 pm

Other than D4 in FFG it cuts and slices better than say a Native or most others in that size at least IMO
2x agreed
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Any news on the Chaparral XHP SpyderEdge & Gray FRN which was announced 6 months ago in Reveal 14 on October 18, 2023?

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Flash

Post by Flash »

Larin Thomas’s corrosion test of the steels match my findings with CTS-XHP: Rusty!

People said it was a “full stainless version of D2” but going from what I’ve found with my Chaparral and my D2 Real Steel Luna (cutting the exact same plant materials in the same environment) is that the D2 is the more corrosion resistant. CTS-XHP in my experience goes from clean to full-on rust, with no patina middleman quite rapidly.

Still a Good steel which takes a great edge but I’d prefer a Chap with Spy27. Both being 62 HRC.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi RamZar,

I used a serrated Chaparral last night and it worked very well. Felt good also. I think you'll like it.

sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

sal wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:26 pm
Hi RamZar,

I used a serrated Chaparral last night and it worked very well. Felt good also. I think you'll like it.

sal
Great!