Why 1095 for Fixed Blades?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Kale

Why 1095 for Fixed Blades?

Post by Kale »

I've been looking into fixed blade options and found that carbon steel was still very common. That seems odd when we have inexpensive stainless steels that are equally tough and easy to maintain (some online sources suggest 14c28n is significantly tougher than 1095). I know carbon steel can have better fine edge holding, but I doubt that matters when we're talking about sharpened prybars like the BK2 (which is still in 1095 cro van).

Is there a benefit to carbon steel, or is it just a matter of sticking with what's tried-and-true?
TomAiello

Re: Why 1095 for Fixed Blades?

Post by TomAiello »

I think it's just tried and true. I don't like 1095 personally, and vastly prefer either a more 'high end' carbon steel with much better edge holding (like K390) better toughness/edge combination (like 3v) or better stainlessness (like Magnacut).

I love 14c28n as a budget option though. It seems to me to be the best mass market budget steel going right now. I don't think it's possible, but I'd view a step up from 8cr to 14c as a major improvement for Spyderco's made in China knives.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Carbon steel is cheaper.
Its also easier and less expensive to heat treat carbon steel.

And by carbon steel I mean stuff like 1095, not super steels.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Easier to sharpen in the field.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Also, from a manufactures point of view, the raw material is dirt cheap, the heat treat is relatively simple with lower cost, and that average person doesn't know any better and that all adds up to higher profits.

VDC made most of the points before I did.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

That 1095 has been a really dependable blade steel for many years. Of course it will never stack up against many of these new Supersteels that have arrived on the scene. But it's relatively easy to sharpen and it's pretty cheap when compared to stuff like S-30V, M390, K390 or any number of these newer/better blade steels.

It has it's place in the knife world. And for using in harsh conditions and brutal jobs it might still be a great pick. But when you become a connoisseur of fine cutlery like many of us here on the Forum have become over the years.. Well let's put it this way>> it's the difference between a TIMEX watch and a ROLEX watch. They are in two completely different paradigms IMO.