I hate this forum

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
huyfishin

I hate this forum

Post by huyfishin »

Ever since I joined this forum my wife makes me sleep on the sofa for buying too many knives. My marriage is now walking on thin ice.

JUST KIDDING!!

I'm so lucky to have a nice and understanding wife. Every weekend I always tell her lets go to the knife store. In reality she knows I don't want to just browse so she says "you want to buy another Spyderco don't you".
Yesterday I went to my local knife dealer with her and I picked up this bad boy!!!!
hov.jpg
para3.jpg
I'm still sleeping in the same bedroom.
Last edited by huyfishin on Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
troutinCO

Re: I hate this forum

Post by troutinCO »

It is dangerous here..... :)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I still think, Spyderco should put a Forum Welcome Letter in each box. Let's say 5% or less join. Maybe even have a rebate for the first purchase. I think it would push their sales to new territory.

Heck, I think other brands should offer rebates to join the Spyderco Forum. Just look at the Off-Topic section.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it's definitely full of enablers. there have been quite a few knives i've purchased since joining that i never gave second thought to before. it works out well for me though because they're all pretty great designs.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I’m lucky my wife collects the evil Jim Shore products ! Plus a Wizard of Oz room ! Life is good ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

The official forum response to the question, "What knife should I buy, model X or model Y?" is an emphatic "Both of them! Also, have you considered model Z?"
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

you guys are absolutely right!! before I joined this forum I only had 1 spyderco and i had it for around 9 years. Joined the forum and 2 months later I got 7...... I dunno what will happen in after one full year of joining this forum.
PStone

Post by PStone »

huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

PStone wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:18 am
omg She told me If you give me a 4 hour massage You can buy a knife..

I said yes.....

forever a slave now....
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

My girl and I aren't technically married but she's still the boss of me lol. She knows I have a whole boat load of knives but if she really knew how much they're worth collectively I think I'd be in hot water lol

I helped my cause a little by giving my girl a Ladybug and, more recently, a Dragonfly. She's retired but took a part time job working for a friend in their distribution center (warehouse). She uses the heck out of those knives and now has a better understanding of my obsession
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
PStone

Post by PStone »

huyfishin wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:19 am
PStone wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:18 am
[img]
omg She told me If you give me a 4 hour massage You can buy a knife..

I said yes.....

forever a slave now....
Hahaha! So it begins…

Just remember the words “flowers” and “jewelry”. If you don’t stray from that you’ll be in “Golden” in no time!

Congrats on the knew knife too!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Ahhhh, the days of blowing through a bunch of money and knives because you need to try everything. I'm definitely glad to be past that stage of the journey!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It is kinda BS to be honest.

Awesome knives, great members who will take their time to help you with practically anything even non knife stuff. Awesome company that makes great tools, listens to their customers and even interacts with them.

It's all kinda sickening isn't it?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have to pump the breaks hard right now. I have everything I need and duplicates of key or critical models. This and diet soda are my last vices and soon, I will be down to just one vice.

My unasked for advice is to take it slow, resist FOMO, and enjoy the ride.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:33 pm
I have to pump the breaks hard right now. I have everything I need and duplicates of key or critical models. This and diet soda are my last vices and soon, I will be down to just one vice.

My unasked for advice is to take it slow, resist FOMO, and enjoy the ride.
Same here. I've slowed it down quite a bit as real life projects are starting to creep up around the house (need a new fence, deck and driveway) within the next few years. But, over the next few months I should be trained to move into my new position at work, that basically eliminates my need for knives (very bitter/sweet)

I think that advice is very sound for someone just getting into knives. I see many people suddenly with 10 different knives in 8 different steels but they have so much new stuff at once, that they never truly learn anything about the particular model, or steel their using. FOMO is a bad one! Chances are a few days after actually missing out...you won't even care, because there's something else in the pipeline that will have your interest within the next few months!

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:44 pm
I see many people suddenly with 10 different knives in 8 different steels but they have so much new stuff at once, that they never truly learn anything about the particular model, or steel their using.

Rule #1 I learned as a teen, don't ever buy more than one music album at a time or one of them will ultimately get neglected. Buy one at a time, consume it. Learn it, wring it out for all it's worth and then try the next one.
~David
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:30 pm
It is kinda BS to be honest.

Awesome knives, great members who will take their time to help you with practically anything even non knife stuff. Awesome company that makes great tools, listens to their customers and even interacts with them.

It's all kinda sickening isn't it?
I hate it! No business should be run that way. It means getting things customers want and being told thank you for doing it and all that nonsense. It has to be a money losing proposition. They must be taking after Chick-Fil-A or something, people hate that place so much :squinting-tongue .
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:46 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I see many people suddenly with 10 different knives in 8 different steels but they have so much new stuff at once, that they never truly learn anything about the particular model, or steel their using.

Rule #1 I learned as a teen, don't ever buy more than one music album at a time or one of them will ultimately get neglected. Buy one at a time, consume it. Learn it, wring it out for all it's worth and then try the next one.
Not to venture too far off topic, but you're absolutely right! I used to be part of the BMG music club and get like 10 CD's at once for a $1. I'm sure I still have CD's tucked away in a box at my parents house that I honestly never even listened too.

But really, that is a great way to look at it when new and learning about knives.

-Rick
cjk

Post by cjk »

huyfishin wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:16 am
you guys are absolutely right!! before I joined this forum I only had 1 spyderco and i had it for around 9 years. Joined the forum and 2 months later I got 7...... I dunno what will happen in after one full year of joining this forum.
Does the first one count in the 7?

7 knives in two months could come out to about 42 knives a year (43 if the first isn't one of the seven). :smiling-halo

If the first one was part of the 7, then you'd be up to 37 at the end of a year. I have confidence in you. You can do better than that. :smlling-eyes
Last edited by cjk on Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:50 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:46 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Not to venture too far off topic, but you're absolutely right! I used to be part of the BMG music club and get like 10 CD's at once for a $1. I'm sure I still have CD's tucked away in a box at my parents house that I honestly never even listened too.

But really, that is a great way to look at it when new and learning about knives.

There's a great thing that happens both with music and knives and all sorts of things, eventually you'll come back around to the best of them. The sucky part is it requires a bit of time, so you have to be patient and that's the hard part when you're new and everything is so exciting. It's hard to pace yourself and the whole sprint/exclusive concept being a get it while you can situation doesn't make it easier.
~David