Favorite sci-fi movies?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RamZar

Re: Favorite sci-fi movies?

Post by RamZar »

Let’s not forget about the Scimitar and Longsword in addition to the Katana and Gladius.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
max808

Post by max808 »

Good suggestions per usual RamZar. From your chart I would add the Cinquedea (Assassin's Creed) and the Claymore (Highlander). To bring it back to modern times, I wonder how your average Yautja clan would handle a Mara Salvatrucha deathsquad with Delta Force advisors on overwatch. They kinda tried that in The Predator but the onset chemistry didn't convince me for some reason. Military lore is actually the genesis of that franchise so would love to see them bring it back to that successfully. Boyd Holbrook got a perfect setup for victory and a sequel so with everyone else ***Spoiler Alert*** out of the picture besides super gorgeous Olivia Munn I hope they manage to follow-up with a banger.
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I like the Chart of Swords because it’s fairly comprehensive, to scale and includes the country of origin plus era.

The original Predator (1987) movie had the commando raid, humor and then becoming prey to the predator. A remake probably wouldn’t be successful. I think a change of venue from jungles or the genesis of how the Predators found out about Earth and taste for humans.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
max808

Post by max808 »

RamZar wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:58 pm
I like the Chart of Swords because it’s fairly comprehensive, to scale and includes the country of origin plus era.
To scale is indeed sweet. If you're looking for some African specimens to add to the chart I could supply you with some pictures and measurements. From that region my favorite is the nagala/ngata or execution sword but apparently used in battle on occasion.
RamZar wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:58 pm
...how the Predators found out about Earth and taste for humans.
My guess is that takes us back millennia if not aeons. I stand by my grooming theory, in the Prey finale I get the distinct impression he's testing/training/evaluating her.
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
max808

Post by max808 »

ngala001.jpg
max808

Post by max808 »

Picture is upside down, it's actually a reverse hawkbill.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The African Ngombe Ngulu is a weird and intimidating “sword”!

Another was the Egyptian Khopesh.

max808

Post by max808 »

Yes Sir, the Ngombe live in the Ituri region in Central Congo, right in the middle of the heart of darkness is what they called it back in the day. It's actually a beautiful valley but I've never been. Years ago I made a chart of Central Africa with most of the tribes overlaid as I was quite obsessed with tribal art back then. The Khopesh is very impressive and reminds of that Gods of Egypt 3D steelbook I've had my eye on for a while. Have you seen that movie and did you like it? It seems Alex Proyas has been in director's jail ever since but I can't remember if I liked it or not.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

max808 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:16 pm
The Khopesh is very impressive and reminds of that Gods of Egypt 3D steelbook I've had my eye on for a while. Have you seen that movie and did you like it? It seems Alex Proyas has been in director's jail ever since but I can't remember if I liked it or not.

Gods of Egypt (2016) got lousy reviews from both critics and audiences so I stayed away even though the trailer looked pretty good.

https://youtu.be/tuVg_6UaQsU

On another note, I watched Prey (2022) for a second time last night and it’s just a great Predator movie second only to the original Predator (1987). The downgrade of Predator weapons is noticeable specially the laser weapon (strangely the laser pointer is there) and I really liked the collapsible shield/guillotine. The cinematography of the open vistas is superb (Alberta) and it’s only surpassed by the excellent low-light cinematography. I would’ve liked to have seen the movie in the big theaters. So many epic and thrilling fights and chases. I liked the inclusion of the line from the original Predator: “If it bleeds, we can kill it.” Naru is a great heroine and warrior.
max808

Post by max808 »

Thanks for the heads up RamZar, I might give it a try anyway, if just for the Stargate vibes. I Robot is my favorite film by Alex Proyas so I bought Dark City on YouTube after hearing raving reviews. Even in the director's cut I just couldn't get through it and have yet to fully see it. Prey is definitely one for the ages, be watching that one for as long as they host it on Disney+. Can't wait for Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny to start streaming!
***earshattering silence***
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

max808 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:30 am
I Robot is my favorite film by Alex Proyas so I bought Dark City on YouTube after hearing raving reviews. Even in the director's cut I just couldn't get through it and have yet to fully see it.

Personally, The Crow (1994) and Dark City (1998) are the two best movies directed by Alex Proyas. Dark City is very good and you should see it in its entirety.

max808 wrote:
Can't wait for Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny to start streaming!

In my opinion, of the 5 Indiana Jones movies only two are great (in bold below) and the rest not worth watching a second time (crossed off below):

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
  2. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
  3. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
  4. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)
  5. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023)
max808

Post by max808 »

RamZar wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:48 pm
max808 wrote:
I Robot is my favorite film by Alex Proyas so I bought Dark City on YouTube after hearing raving reviews. Even in the director's cut I just couldn't get through it and have yet to fully see it.

Personally, The Crow (1994) and Dark City (1998) are the two best movies directed by Alex Proyas. Dark City is very good and you should see it in its entirety.

max808 wrote:

In my opinion, of the 5 Indiana Jones movies only two are great (in bold below) and the rest not worth watching a second time (crossed off below):

I beg to differ RamZar and will try to convince you in a most civilized and cordial manner, after I run some errands first.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

max808 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:38 am
RamZar wrote:
max808 wrote:

max808 wrote:

I beg to differ RamZar and will try to convince you in a most civilized and cordial manner, after I run some errands first.

Remember those are just my personal opinions on the best Alex Proyas and Indiana Jones movies.
max808

Post by max808 »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:40 pm
max808 wrote:
RamZar wrote:
max808 wrote:

max808 wrote:

Remember those are just my personal opinions on the best Alex Proyas and Indiana Jones movies.
Yes Sir, and I respect your personal opinion and hope to learn from it. Indiana Jones is one of my all time favorite franchises and every episode has its place, I especially like the Raiders and the Crystal Skull but the Last Crusade is also up there with a epic performance by Sean Connery and crazy stunts throughout. That face melting scene from Raiders and subsequent holy spirit sequence were etched on my retinas at a young age and I'll never forget that carpenter's cup being the least ornate one.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

max808 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:05 pm
RamZar wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:40 pm
max808 wrote:
RamZar wrote:

Yes Sir, and I respect your personal opinion and hope to learn from it. Indiana Jones is one of my all time favorite franchises and every episode has its place, I especially like the Raiders and the Crystal Skull but the Last Crusade is also up there with a epic performance by Sean Connery and crazy stunts throughout. That face melting scene from Raiders and subsequent holy spirit sequence were etched on my retinas at a young age and I'll never forget that carpenter's cup being the least ornate one.

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) is an epic adventure, fun and entertaining movie. Nasty Nazis always make for truly hateful enemies while searching for the occult. I’ve probably watched it a good dozen times throughout the past 40+ years. Great concept & story by Lucas and direction by Spielberg.

Personally, one of the few memorable clips from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) is the atomic bomb explosion where Jones protects himself in a lead-lined fridge of the 1950s.

https://youtu.be/nFeQlyHM8oA
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Never was into sci-fi much. But, I did like Starship Troopers
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:25 pm
Never was into sci-fi much. But, I did like Starship Troopers

Starship Troopers (1997) is a great sci-fi movie although it wasn’t well received at the time but has gone on to become a cult classic. The movie was falsely blamed for fascist overtones. It has terrific action and is quite unique. None of the sequels were any good. The director, Paul Verhoeven, gave us other notable sci-fi movies like RoboCop (1987) and Total Recall (1990).

https://youtu.be/zPYuV_jGk7M
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ha!! Makes me wanna watch it again!
Nice job, RamZar!
Megatron9000

Post by Megatron9000 »

Back to the Future 2 and The Terminator )))
cjk

Post by cjk »

Megatron9000 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:56 am
Back to the Future 2 and The Terminator )))

Your screen name is Megatron9000 and those are your favorites? ;)

Sad megatron: