Show Your Tacos Bloke Dedication Thread !

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JSumm

Re: Show Your Tacos Bloke Dedication Thread !

Post by JSumm »

Yeah, I have been working directly with the manufacturer since I found out. Dealer is out. Toyota (manufacturer) are the ones that offered the 35% break. I don't know. I'm tweeting, facebooking. Maybe I can get someone's attention.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I despise auto transmissions. I’ve never really gotten along with the 6-spd auto in my Silverado.
benben

Post by benben »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:14 pm
I have 64K on my 2018 Tacoma and a couple of weeks ago, I noticed the transmission was slipping. I took it to the dealer that does 100% all of my maintenance and recalls, and I was told that it has coolant leaking into the transmission. The fix, a new radiator, transmission, and rear seal. 4k miles over the powertrain warranty. Toyota USA has graciously offered me 35% of the cost to fix it. It is a $6,500 fix. >:[

I work for a home builder that builds on your lot homes around the eastern United States. This company has repaired fixes years and years out of warranty when it was our fault and not normal wear and tear. Makes me glad to work for a company like I do. I am furious.
Hey Jeff, I work in the Collision Center for a fairly large Toyota dealership, just out of curiosity I called one of my service writers up in service about your problem. He said he's never once heard of this issue, now Tacoma's are notorious for coolant leaks with all of their cooler lines for the engine and transmission coolers!

How extensively did your dealer check the transmission? With yours being a 2018 I'd assume it's a completely sealed (no dipstick) transmission that uses World Standard ATF, did they drop the pan? Do you have a pink "milkshake" in your radiator and overflow tank?

I realize you posted this on Feb 8th, have you done anything to resolve this issue yet?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I am not sure what they found, but they did open up the transmission. It does not have a dipstick. I am not sure the extent of the damage. I just know it started slipping on me over month now. Somewhere around 3rd & 4th gear. It went from not noticeable to really bad pretty quickly. Especially going up hill or from a stopped position. Since my post, the manufacturer is offering 50% of the part's cost. The dealership, though they really do not have any obligation to me, is taking a chunk out of their labor. I did not buy it from them. Takes the $6,400 tab down to $2,700. That is for a new radiator and rebuilt transmission.

The transmission's warranty was up at 60K and the radiator only has a 1 year warranty. I don't know. This is the 2nd Tacoma I have had. They are known for dependability and the dealer has only seen this rarely at around 120K miles. Apparently, the radiator cracked and leaked into the transmission cooling system which mixed the fluid into the transmission causing the damage there.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
benben

Post by benben »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:25 am
I am not sure what they found, but they did open up the transmission. It does not have a dipstick. I am not sure the extent of the damage. I just know it started slipping on me over month now. Somewhere around 3rd & 4th gear. It went from not noticeable to really bad pretty quickly. Especially going up hill or from a stopped position. Since my post, the manufacturer is offering 50% of the part's cost. The dealership, though they really do not have any obligation to me, is taking a chunk out of their labor. I did not buy it from them. Takes the $6,400 tab down to $2,700. That is for a new radiator and rebuilt transmission.

The transmission's warranty was up at 60K and the radiator only has a 1 year warranty. I don't know. This is the 2nd Tacoma I have had. They are known for dependability and the dealer has only seen this rarely at around 120K miles. Apparently, the radiator cracked and leaked into the transmission cooling system which mixed the fluid into the transmission causing the damage there.
So the radiator is the culprit? Trust me, I can easily believe it, I see Toyota radiators everyday. Yeah, even the great Toyota sources parts these days from another large Asian Country known to manufacture crap!!

Toyota's are definitely not what they used to be, the last four Camry's I've bought new, I specified to the GM here to find me a true Japanese manufactured Camry....VIN# starting with "J", they're actually getting hard to find now, go figure?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Yes, radiator was the initial cause of the problem. The service manager at the Dealership was telling me if the manufacturer wanted, they could fall back on the 1yr warranty on the radiator and not cover anything. He said he did not think that would be right and didn't think they would do that, but could.

I didn't know there were any J VIN# still out there. I learned that about Toyotas when I got my first Tacoma in 07.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
benben

Post by benben »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:59 am
Yes, radiator was the initial cause of the problem. The service manager at the Dealership was telling me if the manufacturer wanted, they could fall back on the 1yr warranty on the radiator and not cover anything. He said he did not think that would be right and didn't think they would do that, but could.

I didn't know there were any J VIN# still out there. I learned that about Toyotas when I got my first Tacoma in 07.
In Tacoma's, there's not. I don't ever....ever go up front to the dealership so I'm not that well versed on all things new Toyota, but I believe Tacoma's are now only manufactured in Mexico, I could be wrong!

What's the first digit of the VIN on your Tacoma?

1 = USA
2 = Canada
3 = Mexico
4 = USA
5 = USA
J = Japan
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Yeah mine has a 3, so Mexico it is.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

SMOD! Strawberry Milkshake of Death!! At least that's what it was called in the Nissan group back in the day. The early Gen2 Frontiers had that issue. Something in the radiator wears/corroded and now the transmission fluid is getting antifreeze in it, pretty much guaranteed death of the transmission. It has not been an issue for quite some time now though on the Frontier. I had an '08 Frontier with a 6 speed manual so I didn't see that issue. Now I have a '20 with the new 3.8 and 9 speed, I'm pretty happy, would love a manual again though.

$2,700 seems like a deal to get that fixed though it still sucks.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Sounds like a good plan would be to install a separate transmission cooler so the radiator fluid can’t invade the tranny. I never liked that shared “cooling” “feature” on auto trannies. The best plan would be a standard transmission. Anybody still make those?
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Sorry to hear that Jeff!!! Having worked on Toyotas my whole career, I can say I haven’t seen that happen on a Tacoma yet. Maybe they have all been under warranty and at a dealership? Doesn’t appear to be a common issue… but you’re already taking the right steps, talk to Toyota, not the dealership! Although if you bought the truck from them and maintain it there they should be willing to help ya out some too…
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

So, we ended up replacing the radiator and the transmission. $2700 total which is a great deal just hard to swallow at 64K miles. Toyota paid for half the material and the dealership cut a chunk of their labor, so back to square one. Hopefully I will not draw that straw again. The issue is definitely, tied to these cooler boxes all linking together. One thing fails in the right spot and it could be catastrophic. Seems like it is extremely rare and typically only in high mileage vehicles.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:52 pm
So, we ended up replacing the radiator and the transmission. $2700 total which is a great deal just hard to swallow at 64K miles. Toyota paid for half the material and the dealership cut a chunk of their labor, so back to square one. Hopefully I will not draw that straw again. The issue is definitely, tied to these cooler boxes all linking together. One thing fails in the right spot and it could be catastrophic. Seems like it is extremely rare and typically only in high mileage vehicles.
you can always run a aftermarket cooler in front of the condenser, and negate the radiator all together. its very easy, and cheap insurance.

but yeah, not very common at all. never seen it on a newer taco, or even old ones in 15 years of seeing them every day.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I'll definitely look into that Shannon. Thanks for the idea!
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

New tires on the Taco. Cooper AT3 LTs. Replaced my Dick Cepeks hybrids, and I could not be happier with the ride quality.

- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:52 pm
New tires on the Taco. Cooper AT3 LTs. Replaced my Dick Cepeks hybrids, and I could not be happier with the ride quality.

Thanks Jeff ! I have been looking at a tire change this summer . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:33 am
JSumm wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:52 pm

Thanks Jeff ! I have been looking at a tire change this summer . Dan
These do have a snowflake on them. Some sizes do and some do not in the LT or XLT versions. I think all the Standard Load AT3 have the snowflake since they are using the softer compound. Just an FYI since that will definitely be important to you.

Not a lot of options in C-Load for those that want a little more rigidity without all the weight. If noise is not an issue, I think it is tough to beat the GY Duratracs. And they should release their new updated Duratrac RT later this year.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
remnar

Post by remnar »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:12 am
JSumm wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:48 pm
One of my favorite add-ons. Victory side molle panel.

That looks great! Definitely nicer than my DIY aluminum stock and washer setup! Great minds...though ;)

Those look good! Here's my DIY solution on my Not-a-Taco. :winking-tongue

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I guess I still can’t post a pic in this thread, my new ride is the Taco’s cousin the 4Runner. But I’ll get on the hunt for a gen3 TRD with the manual transmission in a couple years when my girls start driving. Hopefully everyone wants the new gadgety gen4 and old gen3s will be cheap, right? Right.