The Magnacut Paramilitary 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: The Magnacut Paramilitary 2

Post by Mushroom »

chkn wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 9:08 am
Mushroom wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 7:02 pm
I think Spyderco needs to be very calculated when it comes to marketing their Magnacut knives now that they’ve deemed it “salt worthy.”
There are a good number of knives that Spyderco has made in H1 and/or LC200N that don't have "Salt" in their names and they've made knives in tool steels that boast high levels of toughness in smaller blades where that shouldn't be a concern, it's not like it's unprecedented. Why would you shoehorn yourself into using a steel for only a particular "type" of knife when people in the industry are already using it for anything and everything? If the concern is widespread use of the steel in the lineup will cause the Salt series to suffer then I disagree because the people who buy the Salt series generally want a knife built from the ground up to be a wet environment tool with specific purposes.
There appears to be a misunderstanding. Did you ignore the rest of my post or was there a reason you deleted it? It’s relevant context to what you quoted, if you care.

I was not talking about the names of knives or tool steels in small knives. My concern was not about widespread use of the steel negatively affecting the salt series in general, nor did I ever infer that.
-Nick :bug-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

abbazaba wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 6:29 pm
I'm unrealisticly hoping it's the steel used for the PM2 LW debut :)
This would makes a lot of sense , sort of a double whammer release . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
chkn

Post by chkn »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:49 pm
There appears to be a misunderstanding. Did you ignore the rest of my post or was there a reason you deleted it? It’s relevant context to what you quoted, if you care.
Responding to each comment line by line would be redundant considering what you're asking.

- Does every model they use Magnacut on have to be part of the Salt series?
No, because they've used Salt series steels on non-Salt series knives

- If a model comes in Magnacut but isn’t a full on Salt, will that effect Spydercos reputation?

- How much confusion will it cause when Magnacut is both part of the Salt series and not part of the Salt series?
There shouldn't be any because they've used Salt series steel on non-Salt series knives before

- If the first PM2 using Magnacut is not considered part of the Salt series, will there be backlash for what “should’ve” been?
Probably, but that's more likely to be because people want it in their favorite knife that isn't a PM2

- There will, without a single doubt, be a PM2 in Magnacut eventually but is it going to be a Salt?
Doubtful, as mentioned the Salt series come off as focused wet environment tools rather than just knives with steels with great corrosion resistance

- If it is, will there also be a non-Salt version?
It would simply be the PM2 in Magnacut

Edit: it seems like what you want is a PM2 in Magnacut done in a Salt style configuration, in which case I'd argue you should just ask for it and see if other people like the idea instead of postulating what might happen
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

chkn wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 10:30 am
Mushroom wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:49 pm
Responding to each comment line by line would be redundant considering what you're asking.

- If a model comes in Magnacut but isn’t a full on Salt, will that effect Spydercos reputation?

- How much confusion will it cause when Magnacut is both part of the Salt series and not part of the Salt series?
There shouldn't be any because they've used Salt series steel on non-Salt series knives before

- If the first PM2 using Magnacut is not considered part of the Salt series, will there be backlash for what “should’ve” been?
Probably, but that's more likely to be because people want it in their favorite knife that isn't a PM2

- There will, without a single doubt, be a PM2 in Magnacut eventually but is it going to be a Salt?
Doubtful, as mentioned the Salt series come off as focused wet environment tools rather than just knives with steels with great corrosion resistance

It would simply be the PM2 in Magnacut

Edit: it seems like what you want is a PM2 in Magnacut done in a Salt style configuration, in which case I'd argue you should just ask for it and see if other people like the idea instead of postulating what might happen
No, that’s not what I was saying at all.

I don’t know if there is a language barrier present but you are still entirely misunderstanding the things I’m saying. It’s apparent from your opinion based assertions to those hypothetical questions and your “edit.” Honestly, I would prefer to end this conversation here though, thank you.
-Nick :bug-red
chkn

Post by chkn »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 11:02 am
No, that’s not what I was saying at all.
So what are you saying then?
I don’t know if there is a language barrier present but you are still entirely misunderstanding the things I’m saying. It’s apparent from your opinion based assertions to those hypothetical questions and your “edit.” Honestly, I would prefer to end this conversation here though, thank you.
You could try to clarify your position instead of insisting I'm at fault without even trying. I can only work with what's given to me.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

:smlling-eyes Image
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Bump. Just ran over my original Sage 1 that I've had for over 10 years with riding mower. Super bummed. Need a new knife. When's this a PM2 in magnacut gonna happen?!
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

OUCH Jalcon, I feel you're pain!
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

Personally, I’d like to see Magnacut in a truly thin blade. A Chaparral blade would do nicely.
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 7:02 pm
At this point, Magnacut is riding such a powerful hype train that it literally doesn’t matter what model it’s in, it will sell. A Magnacut “this” or a Magnacut “that” is going to have buyers.

I think Spyderco needs to be very calculated when it comes to marketing their Magnacut knives now that they’ve deemed it “salt worthy.”

The list of hypothetical questions is long:
Maybe they can designate what heat treatment they give each MagnaCut version on each knife. Like the Naitve 5 Salt Magnacut could be marked "MagnaCut-A" or "MagnaCut-Aquatic" whereas a non-salt PM2 in Magnacut could be marked "MagnaCut-Balanced" or "MagnaCut-B". Probably something a bit slicker, that doesn't imply a hierarchy like A and B would, but something similar. Maybe "MagnaCut-S" for the Salt version, then just regular MagnaCut -- depending on if they offer more than 2 versions.

The naming and labeling conventions are already a bit inconsistent across the lineup. Delica and Endura Salt variants get unique names, but the Salt version of the Salt-ified Native doesn't. Same with Handle color. Yellow = H1 (or H2), except for when it's LC200N... or MagnaCut.

At this point, specifying a couple MagnaCut variants seems seems warranted, even if a bit confusing.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:37 pm
Personally, I’d like to see Magnacut in a truly thin blade. A Chaparral blade would do nicely.
Chap Salt Magnacut then? I'm in.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

From some of what Sal has said about dialing in the heat treat for MagnaCut I am wondering if they could develop a protocol for corrosion resistance in the Salt series, but prioritize other properties for non-Salt knives.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:44 pm
i'm honestly surprised we're seeing the manix in magnacut first given that the pm2 seems to be more popular. personally, i prefer the manix, but i still find it surprising. probably more a result of there already being a lw manix, but no pm2 lw yet.
Spyderco as a company does some interesting choices sometimes, that's for sure.

I'm also surprise the PM2 didn't come first, but the PM2 LW being worked on could be an explanation.

Still great to see Spyderco jumping the wagon this early. Hope to see more magnacut version of popular knives soon.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

DLC/Black:
Spyderco.com... https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... Blade/2506

Edit: Out of stock
Last edited by Buddafucco on Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

whoops. didn't see that you already posted it here. sorry about that.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:58 pm

All good.
I think this one is going to be a lot of people's "perfect PM2".
•• Beau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Buddafucco wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:10 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:58 pm

All good.
I think this one is going to be a lot of people's "perfect PM2".
Personally that is a spot on statement from my position. I like the ones I have but either new PM2 model will probably complete what I want in my PM2 collection. Dan
Henry David Thoreau
RAHComanche

Post by RAHComanche »

The PM2 BlackSalt Magnacut (Reveal) was for sale yesterday. Sold out now. I do not think the availability was widely known.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Short Preorder at Indiana Knives for anybody that doesn't want to watch for them.

***These are in transit to my shop. If you can check out, one will be reserved for you as I am only marking the number I am receiving in stock. Expected ship date from my shop is March 5th-6th. Thanks! - Eric

***2 units max per customer please.

***Credit card payment preferred over PayPal. Thanks!

Indiana Knives... https://indianaknives.com/products/spyd ... -c81gmcbk2

Edit: Out of stock
Last edited by Buddafucco on Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau