Never take blade swaps for granted

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Never take blade swaps for granted

Post by Evil D »

Well after searching and waiting for what seemed like forever, I finally scored a waved SE Endura to blade swap into my Lone Wolf Distributors Endura to have my ultimate tacticool Endura for my range bag.

Except that it won't work. 🤬

Although the blades appear to be both standard waved Endura blades that you might assume should swap no problem, they are different in two important ways that make this a no go, or at least these two things will just not work with the Lone Wolf Glock tool handle.

First and probably biggest difference is that it seems like the ricasso/kick is longer on the Line Wolf blade.

Lone Wolf on the left, SE on the right

The other difference is that the Lone Wolf blade is just slightly shorter and maybe just a bit more upswept at the tip.

The SE blade is in the back sticking out just past the tip of the Lone Wolf blade

Combined, this means the blade sits just slightly deeper into the handle and the edge makes contact with everything when closed. I even went as far as trying to grind down some of the inside of the back spacer below the Glock tool to make space between the blade tip and back spacer but I won't be able to remove enough to make sufficient clearance, and even if I could make clearance for the tip then the edge would still hit the middle of the back spacer just under the lock bar spring and I can't really grind down anything in that area.

So it seems that my dream of a waved SE Endura with a Glock Tool are once again a pipe dream.

I also tried every combination of blade/lock bar and even swapping out pivot and lock bar pins to see if anything made a difference but it just won't work.

And what really sucks, is that apart from being on the thick side blade grind wise, I really liked the serration profile on this one. They're pretty mellow and not overly pointy.

💔
Last edited by Evil D on Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PeaceInOurTime

Re: Never take blade swaps for granted

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I imagine your frustration. Too bad, that would have been an awesome mod. I never would have guessed there would be those differences in the models. Thanks for sharing your attempt.
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

Sorry to hear that. It's a drag when swaps don't work out. Your post does make me wonder why my LW Endura has never found it's way to my range bag. I'm going to fix that tonight. I have the older non-wave PS blade.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

that's frustrating.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
steeljustice

Post by steeljustice »

Not a happy ending.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Bummer it didn't work. I didn't even know they made a waved SE Endura.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sorry for you, David!

... And interesting that the serrations on the waved (=sabre grind) Endura are rather mellow, as you say- I seem to recall on my "regular" sabre grind Endura SE they were not so much (don´t have that knife anymore)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:50 am
Sorry for you, David!

... And interesting that the serrations on the waved (=sabre grind) Endura are rather mellow, as you say- I seem to recall on my "regular" sabre grind Endura SE they were not so much (don´t have that knife anymore)

Yeah it's very interesting. Here it is next to my Rock Jumper that has also been reprofiled.

It's definitely a flat saber grind, not hollow saber

And it's definitely not going to be much of a slicer, it's pretty thick (hopefully you can see that in this pic, I was trying to show a profile of how thick the edge is. Really hard to get the camera to focus on the blade the way I wanted)

But in a way this is why I like this model, it's one of the beefiest SE blades I've seen, it's a SE pry bar. I like how ridiculously thick the tip is. It wouldn't be a knife I wanted to carry everyday but I do still have an irrational love for overbuilt folders even though I wouldn't carry one to actually use all the time.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:21 pm
Well after searching and waiting for what seemed like forever, I finally scored a waved SE Endura to blade swap into my Lone Wolf Distributors Endura to have my ultimate tacticool Endura for my range bag.

Except that it won't work. 🤬

Although the blades appear to be both standard waved Endura blades that you might assume should swap no problem, they are different in two important ways that make this a no go, or at least these two things will just not work with the Lone Wolf Glock tool handle.

First and probably biggest difference is that it seems like the ricasso/kick is longer on the Line Wolf blade.

Lone Wolf on the left, SE on the right

The other difference is that the Lone Wolf blade is just slightly shorter and maybe just a bit more upswept at the tip.

The SE blade is in the back sticking out just past the tip of the Lone Wolf blade

Combined, this means the blade sits just slightly deeper into the handle and the edge makes contact with everything when closed. I even went as far as trying to grind down some of the inside of the back spacer below the Glock tool to make space between the blade tip and back spacer but I won't be able to remove enough to make sufficient clearance, and even if I could make clearance for the tip then the edge would still hit the middle of the back spacer just under the lock bar spring and I can't really grind down anything in that area.

So it seems that my dream of a waved SE Endura with a Glock Tool are once again a pipe dream.

I also tried every combination of blade/lock bar and even swapping out pivot and lock bar pins to see if anything made a difference but it just won't work.

And what really sucks, is that apart from being on the thick side blade grind wise, I really liked the serration profile on this one. They're pretty mellow and not overly pointy.

💔
Do not give up your hope, there is another way! But you must disarm yourself of one of those knives for the solution to present itself. [+5] attack (Evil D disarms SE Endura.) Here take ye this coffee and think over another solution [+2] intelligence. … … … (Evil D thinking.) … zzz zzz zzz. Hey wake up! You must travel in the direction E for some time, you will come upon an asphalt world in this world you will find a cave called knifekits.com… there is no quest per say, but don’t go spending all your coin along the way on frivolous things like throwing knives and ales at the taverns along the way. When you reach the cave go to the item master and give him… about a quarter of 1 gold coin (with current inflation rates, and our world economy not being based on gold, your money stretches a little further these days.) Item master presents you with Magical item -Shark bite- [+7] attack. When equipped with PE Endura you will more than double it’s power!!!

https://www.knifekits.com/vcom/serratio ... -2607.html
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Sorry the blade swap didn't work out. If you no longer want the SE Endura, I'm accepting donations.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Sorry the swap didn't work. What a bummer...
Now this thread has me wondering which of my new Spydercos will wind up in my range bag... :thinking
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:51 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:50 am
Sorry for you, David!

Yeah it's very interesting. Here it is next to my Rock Jumper that has also been reprofiled.

Thanks for the detailed reply and the pics!

Yeah, those serrations look much "better" (like in "mellower", not "snaggy"...) than for example on my Stretch 1 CE.
Nice!!

... And I know what you mean by "irrational love for overbuilt folders" - believe it or not, but my most "hard use" Spydie actually is my combo edge Delica: Real, pretty low sabre grind without any tapering on the spine and really strong tip.

Actually the "love" is not entirely "irrational" - while, as I said several times lately, a thicker blade stock is nothing I think is necessary in a hard use folder (I mean the Delica has just 2.5 mm... but in a thick sabre grind!) this is NOT the case with "thick tips".
The thick and sturdy tip of my sabre grind Delica is clearly less useful overall than in the ffg version - but in certain, very specific situations I grab the Delica exactly BECAUSE of that tip (for example when unloading supplies a Helicopter brings: Here one has to cut open packages, cordage, foils extremely quick (so that the area is cleared again before the next load arrives) and one can´t be careful with the tip, while the likelyhood of hitting things like metal barrels with the tip (and breaking a thinner one...) is pretty high).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)