Strangest place your knife knowledge has randomly come in handy?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

A random Discord video game friend asked a question about the best sharpening stone for the money and I dropped about 1000 words about the Spyderco 2x8 medium benchstone and Sharpmaker. Just a random place to have way too many opinions on the topic, lol.

You ever find yourself with a lot of knife knowledge out in the wild?
Manixguy@1994

Re: Strangest place your knife knowledge has randomly come in handy?

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

The ladies at the Post Office always ask for me to share what is in the little boxes coming in or sending out . They save cardboard boxes for cutting tests for me since I retired . I never imagined any of my knives would be called cute ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Unfortunately I find it frustrating and useless more often than not because too many people "know what they know" and aren't good at listening. On one hand they want a steel that stays sharp forever but on the other hand they'll scoff at the price of even an entry level knife with a reasonably good steel. Then with the whole attitude towards knives being weapons and people freaking out about them, I even hesitate to pull them out in some environments.

I've got a couple coworkers who carry knives, one of them does have a VG10 Delica and he says it's the best knife he's ever owned. I've sharpened a bunch for them and they're always amazed with the results but they go back to scraping and doing stilly things with them and usually they're not steels that tolerate that sort of use so my beautiful edges are quickly ruined.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:02 pm
The ladies at the Post Office always ask for me to share what is in the little boxes coming in or sending out . They save cardboard boxes for cutting tests for me since I retired . I never imagined any of my knives would be called cute ! MG2
I daren’t say what are really in my Post Office parcels! :rofl I always say “train set components” for the look they then give me…
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:34 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:02 pm
I daren’t say what are really in my Post Office parcels! :rofl I always say “train set components” for the look they then give me…
That’s funny , I will try that ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don’t think this counts, but here goes…

At my former workplace, I used my knives for cutting strapping, opening and breaking down boxes for the recycle bin, etc. Nobody had a problem with it, even though I was the only one who carried a knife, because I never made a big deal out of it. I’d just use whichever knife I was using, then put it away again. They all knew I carried knives. Everybody got so habituated to it that nobody cared, even the two owners of the business. I used Spydercos of all sizes, as well as CRK knives.

The two bosses and most of the employees were female, but one of the male employees asked to see my knife one time, and noted that it said ‘Spyderco’ on it. Sometime later, he showed up to work with a Kershaw Blur with an S30V blade. Said he became interested in knives because of mine, and started looking online to find something that would appeal to him. So while he didn’t get the same brand, he had become interested in knives watching me use mine.

The more I think of it, I don’t think this post really fits the intended meaning of this thread, but there you go.

🙂

Jim
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Usually my knife knowledge does little good since the t.v. can't hear me. I remember watching one of the treasure hunt shows where they were in the Phillippines. They found the remains of a knife in a tunnel and got all excited, calling it a Kabar and imagining it was lost by some P.O.W. being forced to dig. As soon as I saw it I knew it was a "bolt knife", the jet pilot survival knife introduced in the 1950s, so it couldn't have been from WWII. But like I said, the T.V. couldn't hear me.
vivi

Post by vivi »

used my sharpening knowledge to sharpen all sorts of random things at work. The little blade that cuts the pasta on commercial pasta machines, for example:

:unicorn
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

vivi wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:16 am
used my sharpening knowledge to sharpen all sorts of random things at work. The little blade that cuts the pasta on commercial pasta machines, for example:

Yes, but what grit did you use? ;)
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

In a church and in a bar, both places where I deployed a knife to save my tail from aggressive trolls.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I used some higher carbon steel patina knowledge on patinaing a fancy Wok.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Use my knife steel knowledge often on a watch forum when there is a newbie asking about their new expensive watch that has just got a scratch.

Or thinking Rolex 904L Steel is some super steel just because Rolex says so in the fairy dust marketing

99% of watches are made of 316L steel

https://www.keepthetime.com/blog/316l-v ... n-watches/
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

I use number of steels used in knives in other things like bearings and pump casings.
Half the time if I'm picking between 52100 and 440 it's for bearings and not knives.
I spent quite a while on Friday trying to find a steel for a pump that is up to the task of running 18 hours-per-day and constantly subjected to a slurry of sand and fine stone.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.