Help me pick a spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Willmill1616

Help me pick a spyderco

Post by Willmill1616 »

Hey guys! Been following he forums on her since I was about 10, finally made an account because I need help. I have decided to head to bc/Alberta and do the treeplanting thing for 4 months come April. I am torn between my Rex 45 native chief or my cf/s90v chief. I usually Cary my pm2 for edc but I want to make memories/attachments with my chiefs. If you guys were heading out to spend 4 months in a tent and outside all day (cutting cardboard, rope, carving sticks and other constant edc tasks) what would you bring? I am confident enough to sharpen both in the field but i want to hear other options! Cheers.
TazKristi

Re: Help me pick a spyderco

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Willmill1616:
Welcome to our forum! I'm moving your thread into our General Discussion area. I'm sure our members will offer some great advice for you. We hope you enjoy your time with us!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Hey Willmill1616, welcome and that is pretty cool that you have been following since you were 10. I wish I had discovered Spyderco at that age. I always carried a knife since I was a boy, but typically models found in your local general store.

Are you wanting to stick with a Native Chief or looking for recommendations on other models? I am sure you will get some good recommendations on other models that would work well for your situation if that is the case.

The only thing I can share is I have had very minor rusting issues in the past and both times it was on a camping trip when someone used my knife in a tool steel, washed it, closed it up, and left it to dry. In higher humid areas during camping, so it was just slow to dry that way and left little rust spots. Not a big deal of course and very easy to clean up. Because of that, I usually bring a backup when going camping if I have a tool steel on me. A more corrosion resistant knife to hand to others to use. S90V may serve you better in that regard. I do not have that steel to compare, but it appears that it is fairly corrosion resistant. Personally, I like having a tool steel when camping because I find I can sharpen them a little easier with my field sharpener.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Godzilla68

Post by Godzilla68 »

Agree with JSumm. S90V will be more corrosion resistant. Having said that, I've had no problem with knives like the esee 6 in the pacific northwest as long as they are taken care of. Now a folder may be a little more susceptible because if you close it up wet, it won't dry properly. Just curious if you carry a fixed blade on you while tree planting. A good 4 inch fixed would be a good alternative. I carry either an esee 6 paired with a delica or my bradley bowie and a folder for slicing.
PM2 Crucarta
Chaparral CF
Gayle Bradley Bowie
Manix 2 M390
Native Chief Rex45
Caly 3.5
Delica ZDP189
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Godzilla68 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:02 am
Agree with JSumm. S90V will be more corrosion resistant. Having said that, I've had no problem with knives like the esee 6 in the pacific northwest as long as they are taken care of. Now a folder may be a little more susceptible because if you close it up wet, it won't dry properly. Just curious if you carry a fixed blade on you while tree planting. A good 4 inch fixed would be a good alternative. I carry either an esee 6 paired with a delica or my bradley bowie and a folder for slicing.
Good point about a fixed blade. If you are out that long, I would definitely have a fixed blade on me as well. Just easier to draw and use often in that scenario. Also comes in handy when friends brings cans for camp food, but not a can opener. At least, that is what I used my Esee AGK for last time I went camping.
Last edited by JSumm on Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Willmill1616

Post by Willmill1616 »

Thanks for replying guys this is a sweet way to learn things lol. I plan to either take my mora garberg, buck 119 or my gerber cfb in 154cm. I also have a tops msk and a spyderco sustain. My chief would be pared with a spyderco chaperal as well and I’d like to take my chief specifically, just not sure witch model. Is it impossible for me to maintain the Rex 45 blade or is it just going to be something I have to focus on ? Will the s90v be tough enough for my main folder ?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Willmill1616 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:16 am
Thanks for replying guys this is a sweet way to learn things lol. I plan to either take my mora garberg, buck 119 or my gerber cfb in 154cm. I also have a tops msk and a spyderco sustain. My chief would be pared with a spyderco chaperal as well and I’d like to take my chief specifically, just not sure witch model. Is it impossible for me to maintain the Rex 45 blade or is it just going to be something I have to focus on ? Will the s90v be tough enough for my main folder ?
I cannot comment on the S90V toughness, but I would imagine you would be just fine with it as a folder. I can't imagine having problems with it especially since you have some fixed blades to accompany it.

There are some products that members on here can recommend for treating your Rex 45. I have used simple Vasoline on my K390 in the past, but at a certain point decided it wasn't really a problem I was concerned with. I do not treat my K390 anymore. The biggest thing for me is if it gets wet, I just wipe it down and leave it out to dry for a bit before I stick it back in my pocket.

I do not have this model, so I will say that first before I say you may want to look at the Pacific Salt 2 in H1. I have Enduras, but I do not have Pac Salt. Many on here can give you some great feedback on it. If you have a field sharpener, it seems like this model would be great for this scenario. H1 is very corrosion resistant and very tough. My guess is it would be very easy to field sharpen from what I have read. Again, I don't have any, so I cannot comment from experience. Also, it has a hollow grind with a stout tip. So the hollow grind adds slicing ability to offset the thicker spine. It seems like it would be a great option.

Kristi - can this thread be moved to the overall General Discussion and out of the Counterfeit subforum.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Willmill1616 wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:52 am
I have decided to head to bc/Alberta and do the treeplanting thing for 4 months come April. I am torn between my Rex 45 native chief or my cf/s90v chief.

You didn't mention the scales on the REX45, but regardless of which you have, I would choose them over the carbon fiber scales on your S90V. I wouldn't be worried about corrosion of the REX45. It will discolor, but then you'll have a knife that looks like you've done something.

The other two things you'll need to bring are an iPhone and a solar charger, so you can keep us up to date on how your Native Chief is performing on your adventure. You have me curious; what exactly IS four months of tree planting in Alberta? Do you work for a lumber company? That's got to be quite a production.

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:39 am
Willmill1616 wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:52 am
I have decided to head to bc/Alberta and do the treeplanting thing for 4 months come April. I am torn between my Rex 45 native chief or my cf/s90v chief.

You didn't mention the scales on the REX45, but regardless of which you have, I would choose them over the carbon fiber scales on your S90V. I wouldn't be worried about corrosion of the REX45. It will discolor, but then you'll have a knife that looks like you've done something.

The other two things you'll need to bring are an iPhone and a solar charger, so you can keep us up to date on how your Native Chief is performing on your adventure. You have me curious; what exactly IS four months of tree planting in Alberta? Do you work for a lumber company? That's got to be quite a production.

That is a fantastic idea! The OP could start a thread and post updates from the trip and how the knife is holding up. Would also be a good way to document memories with the knife as the OP stated they wanted to do.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Willmill1616

Post by Willmill1616 »

Could someone shine some light on how I go about moving this thread to the general discussion section… also the that sounds like a fantastic idea(documenting my journey)! And yes I am hired on a tree planting contract under a company based in Alberta. The job is pretty simple.live in a tent, get fed good food, work 7-6 ish and I carry between 1 and 200 trees in my bags and plant one at a time! Not glorious work but it’ll pay the bills !
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageWelcome to the Forum ! Spend wisely and enjoy your purchase . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I was very disappointed the carbon fiber scales on the s90v chief werent peel ply.

If you like both then maybe just flip a coin.

You going to bring a fixed blade with you?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Perhaps get a Native Chief in S30V? I see four benefits here:

1) more toughness compared S90V
2) easier to sharpen than S90V
3) more corrosion resistant than REX45
4) reason to buy a new knife!