Show your Bugs and Critters

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: Show your Bugs and Critters

Post by Mad Mac »

This is not a very good picture
but he is going straight up the wall.
I think it is a Black Racer.

My dog Ginger on the right in the window
found him and started doing her snake bark.
I had to take her inside on a leash
then gradually nudged Mister Snake off the porch.
They get a pass because they eat rodents and moles.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image Found this Bumble Bee in garage window and thought it was dying . It hopped onto swatter and took it outside and took some pictures. After a few minutes Bee decided to take off after photo op . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Here is another one.
Didn't get quite all of the tail in the picture.
Not the same one that was on the porch.
This one is not solid black but has a pattern.
The shadow of my arm gives an idea of his size.
Not so sure but iNaturalist SEEK
identified it as an Eastern King Snake.
Harmless, unless you are a rodent.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Mad Mac wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:15 pm
Here is another one.
Didn't get quite all of the tail in the picture.
Not the same one that was on the porch.
This one is not solid black but has a pattern.
The shadow of my arm gives an idea of his size.
Not so sure but iNaturalist SEEK
identified it as an Eastern King Snake.
Harmless, unless you are a rodent.

We have that snake in my area. Quick question did the snake move rather slow ? If so probably is a King . They do like rodents and also climb trees to feast on birds and raid nests .
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

He was not in a hurry.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image Noticed this big one this morning .I think he migrated from neighbors pond . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image Thankfully this Groundhog was not in my wooded area in back . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

I’m no expert on snakes but this thing was FAST…I was dog sitting Marshall who is a very curious, strong and athletic dog with boundless energy and if he was not on a leash I’m 100% positive he would have jumped off the retaining wall we were on and chased this dude…I snapped a pic after he settled down and then pretty much had to drag him away 😳
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

SEEK gave me a six out of seven for the Eastern Rat Snake.
I would call that a Black Racer, given the speed cited.

One interesting characteristic of Black Racers,
they will periscope,
hold their heads and necks up a foot or more
to look for prey.

Driving through a pasture
you can see them sticking up above the grass
looking around.
Very weird.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

This dummy was stretched out across the road on Thursday. To me, it didn't seem like a safe place to sun oneself, so I encouraged him to move along.