Smock XL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
backtrail540

Smock XL

Post by backtrail540 »

I was handling my Smock and Amalgam today and it occurred to me that I would very much like a Smock XL. Take a smock and upsize it to the Amalgam size, give it a fullsize spyderhole and make the forward choil large enough to use as a finger choil (I can on the current smock but barely and I imagine upsizing to the amalgam scale would naturally make the choil bigger and more useable.

I like the amalgam size very much but much prefer a buttonlock for one handed closing as I find my grip doesn't require as much shifting as with a normal compression lock. The flipper tab is much better and out of the way on the smock as well and would be welcome on other flipping designs, as far as my preferences are concerned.

The exposed liners on the smock are great if you enjoy modding your blades aesthetically as well. I like the amalgam plenty but find it wanting in a few areas that an enlarged smock would satisfy.

Anybody else think that this would make for a nice large sized folder? Would you buy this or request some other modification of such a blade? General thoughts?
Manixguy@1994

Re: Smock XL

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

First welcome to the Forum ! Took me awhile to warm up to the Smock but now I really like it . Your idea is interesting to say the least . I had the Amalgam for a very short time but helped a friend out . I may get another in the future . I didn’t carry it enough to make a valid opinion of the knife , it’s an interesting blade for a Spyderco . Enjoy your stay on the Forum MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I would consider getting a XL smock if the unsharpened area of the blade could be used as a finger choil or just make for a longer sharpened edge.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
backtrail540

Post by backtrail540 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:26 pm
First welcome to the Forum ! Took me awhile to warm up to the Smock but now I really like it . Your idea is interesting to say the least . I had the Amalgam for a very short time but helped a friend out . I may get another in the future . I didn’t carry it enough to make a valid opinion of the knife , it’s an interesting blade for a Spyderco . Enjoy your stay on the Forum MG2
Thanks for the welcome, I thought I had an account in the past but may have let it expire when I was away from the knife world for a few years. Regardless, I've lurked on and off over the years.
backtrail540

Post by backtrail540 »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:57 pm
I would consider getting a XL smock if the unsharpened area of the blade could be used as a finger choil or just make for a longer sharpened edge.
I absolutely prefer forward choils and while that is a feature I spec'd in my above imagination, the design of the smock flipper tab allowing it to stay hidden allows me to choke up in a way that an exposed tab would not. While not up into the choil, for my hand size, if I wrap my middle finger into the groove for the thumbhole - and thus place my index finger at the top of the grip - allowing for sufficient control for my needs.

But if the upsizing allowed for a bigger choil area and thus more secure choil area then I'm all for it. I guess it would depend on how it scaled out. It sounds appealing on paper for sure.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear backtrail540:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
backtrail540

Post by backtrail540 »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:41 pm