Street Bowie sheath dulls edge.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Raylas

Street Bowie sheath dulls edge.

Post by Raylas »

I recently bought a street bowie, and it's a lovely design, very thin, very slicey, great handle, takes a wonderful edge.

There's just one giant, glaring issue: The Sheath.

Whatever spyderco used to make this, it's NOT kydex, it's got some sort of abrasive in it, because drawing and re-sheathing the blade as few as 3 times takes it from screaming, scary, hair-popping sharp, to "I can barely get it to shave hair"

This is not acceptable. I will be disposing of this sheath as soon as I possibly can, in the most destructive manner possible, and replacing it with a custom made kydex sheath.

I'm not real happy about this. I spent 115 dollars on this knife, and I can't even carry and use it until I replace Spyderco's poor decision to use a plastic that somehow manages to dull VG-10 for the sheath.

What's worse, I know this isn't a company-wide issue, it's a SPECIFIC MODEL issue. I have a Spyderco Jumpmaster 2. It has a lovely Kydex sheath and has never been dulled by it. Whatever the sheath material is for The Street Bowie in particular (Or possibly just mine? Perhaps glass fiber was in the mix?) is no good, and that upsets me, because aside this issue, the sheath is rather attractive.

I really hope Spyderco can either replace this sheath with one that doesn't dull my scary-sharp edge, or Enact CQI so that the next iteration of this knife, if there is one, doesn't have this problem.
Airlsee

Re: Street Bowie sheath dulls edge.

Post by Airlsee »

That's no good.

Per Spyderco Website:

"The new Street Bowie features a completely redesigned sheath. Injection molded from polymer, it has a high throat for positive retention while still providing a full grip on the knife at the outset of the draw."

I've only had experience with their Boltaron sheaths. I'll be interested to hear if others have the same experience.
So it goes.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Spydercos sheaths are pretty hit or miss for me. Some I like and some I cant stand.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:21 pm
That's no good.

Per Spyderco Website:

"The new Street Bowie features a completely redesigned sheath. Injection molded from polymer, it has a high throat for positive retention while still providing a full grip on the knife at the outset of the draw."

I've only had experience with their Boltaron sheaths. I'll be interested to hear if others have the same experience.
Well there's something wrong with either that polymer, or with my knife, and I'm pretty sure the knife's fine.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Can we get some pictures of your sheath? I've got the Street Bowie, and I don't notice the sheath dulling it. I'll see if I can post up a picture later on.
--Jeremy
vivi

Post by vivi »

With any fixed blade I draw and re-sheath the knife while applying light pressure towards the spine. This lets me avoid this issue completely.
:unicorn
phaust

Post by phaust »

No excuse for a sheath dulling it's knife, but there doesn't have to be an added abrasive for that to be the case. Unfortunately a lot of brands' <some type of plastic/polymer/etc.> sheaths have this issue. That sort of material can do it.
vivi

Post by vivi »

phaust wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:21 am
No excuse for a sheath dulling it's knife, but there doesn't have to be an added abrasive for that to be the case. Unfortunately a lot of brands' <some type of plastic/polymer/etc.> sheaths have this issue. That sort of material can do it.
I've had kydex and leather sheaths dull blades too. You drag a fine edge across a material, chances are it'll dull to some degree.

Maybe boltaron dulls knives faster than kydex, but kydex will still dull edges over time.

Best to get into the habit of not letting the edge contact the sheath when possible.
:unicorn
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

vivi wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:14 am
With any fixed blade I draw and re-sheath the knife while applying light pressure towards the spine. This lets me avoid this issue completely.
All well and good, except I bought this as a self-defense knife.

The sheath dulling it because a draw isn't used with a certain technique isn't really acceptable for me on this particular topic!
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

Raylas wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:54 pm
vivi wrote:

The sheath dulling it because a draw isn't used with a certain technique isn't really acceptable for me on this particular topic!
Not to be rude, I understand the concern, but I think this may be a valid point. If this is a blade used for self defense, how often are you actually drawing the blade? I carry a street beat that honestly only comes out of the sheath to apply a fresh coat of frog lube to keep the rust off of it from sweat. I use my folder for day to day tasks. As others have said anything coming in contact with the edge itself will dull it over time. I think the design itself will hold its own in self defense no matter what edge it has in my opinion. I've had sheaths break in over time. Hopefully yours will too or they come up with a new design that suits your needs more. Don't rule it out just yet tho. I really think you'd be surprised at the damage it can do.
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

I did a quick look through the current fixed blade variety and I'm only showing the black blade streat beat and the street bowie using the redesigned polymer sheath. My streat beat in satin has a boltaron sheath. I noticed one thing they mentioned grommets instead of rivets. So they definitely updated it for some reason.I'm really curious now as to why it got changed and only on those models.
Last edited by Demon85z on Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

Double post
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

Demon85z wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:34 pm
Raylas wrote:
vivi wrote:

Not to be rude, I understand the concern, but I think this may be a valid point. If this is a blade used for self defense, how often are you actually drawing the blade? I carry a street beat that honestly only comes out of the sheath to apply a fresh coat of frog lube to keep the rust off of it from sweat. I use my folder for day to day tasks. As others have said anything coming in contact with the edge itself will dull it over time. I think the design itself will hold its own in self defense no matter what edge it has in my opinion. I've had sheaths break in over time. Hopefully yours will too or they come up with a new design that suits your needs more. Don't rule it out just yet tho. I really think you'd be surprised at the damage it can do.
See, I'd agree with you, but for the fact that I found it dulling in spots just from walking around with it in the sheath.

Additionally, yeah, I'm sure a dulled knife would still do serious damage, but not as much as one that's hair-popping sharp.

Little late for ruling it out, I'm already shopping around for a custom replacement.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Demon85z wrote:
I think the design itself will hold its own in self defense no matter what edge it has in my opinion.

If the steel type and blade design do not have anything to do with the properties of self defense, then I'd like to be the first to know what does. That is why I patiently wait for certain knife profiles and steels to come on the market.

Otherwise, I'd go find an ex-con from a SuperMax to grind me a shank.

This is why knives like the Native Chief, Stuart Ackerman Sustain and Province are so important to me for self defense. And if I'm on defense, consider that I'm on offense too.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

Raylas wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:27 pm
Demon85z wrote:
Raylas wrote:
vivi wrote:

See, I'd agree with you, but for the fact that I found it dulling in spots just from walking around with it in the sheath.

Additionally, yeah, I'm sure a dulled knife would still do serious damage, but not as much as one that's hair-popping sharp.

Little late for ruling it out, I'm already shopping around for a custom replacement.
I understand. Well I hope you find what you're looking for to fill the defense knife role for you. If its not something you are comfortable carrying then its not worth carrying. You have to have complete confidence in your gear and its ability to do its job. Ive tossed things aside for a lot less than your issue so I completely get it.
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:41 pm
Demon85z wrote:
I think the design itself will hold its own in self defense no matter what edge it has in my opinion.

If the steel type and blade design do not have anything to do with the properties of self defense, then I'd like to be the first to know what does. That is why I patiently wait for certain knife profiles and steels to come on the market.

Otherwise, I'd go find an ex-con from a SuperMax to grind me a shank.

This is why knives like the Native Chief, Stuart Ackerman Sustain and Province are so important to me for self defense. And if I'm on defense, consider that I'm on offense too.
Hey the shank is very effective haha but I'd rather keep my toothbrush for brushing my teeth. Design is everything I agree. Anything can jab and poke if you want it to, but to do it efficiently and effectively, consistently, the design and steel are key. I love the design of the street bowie, but maybe if it were offered in another steel and not vg10 it may be a lot more resistant to dulling in the sheath? I know they always have a reasoning as to why they chose a certain steel and I dont normally question it. I think many times vg10 keeps the cost down and still preforms awesome in my opinion. I have a schempp rock in vg10 I absolutely bash on camping and it takes anything I throw at it. The sheath itself is loose fitting because of the blade curve, and relies more on the handle insert to clip in. It doesnt make much contact with the blade itself so maybe thats why I dont notice that one dull in the sheath.
attila

Post by attila »

I’ve had a kydex sheath that I made myself dull my B70P mule. Nothing but plastic, yet it dulled ~59-61 hrc steel. :confounded

I found it odd, but adjusted how I draw and insert the blade until I get around to making a new sheath.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Trav64

Post by Trav64 »

Thats a shame man, hopefully spyderco fixes that issue
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

Trav64 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:00 pm
Thats a shame man, hopefully spyderco fixes that issue
That's why I brought it up, as it should happen.

The custom sheathmaker search goes badly. I found a maker, contacted him, he said he could make me one, asked me what I wanted and offered me a quote, told him what I needed, and he's been almost a week incommunicado afterwards.

Why must it be so difficult?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I like the hard shell casings but the dulling of blades seems to be a theme. From now on I'll be buying leather or other/nylon. Probably nylon because moisture is an issue with leather.

It does not make sense to quibble over it. The solution for hard shell casings just has not arrived yet.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/