Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SSD_777

Re: Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Post by SSD_777 »

murphjd25 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:57 am
SpyderGrill wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:16 am
Any CRK fans in the off topic section who dont go for this, might have a problem

"just saying"

or

"that said"
I won’t be going for one, so I hope you get a chance at one! A Sebenza is far superior in every single way, sorry. And that wire clip...maybe if it had a spoon clip I’d “think” about it.
What is a "spoon clip"?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

SSD_777 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:53 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
SpyderGrill wrote:
Any CRK fans in the off topic section who dont go for this, might have a problem

"just saying"

or

"that said"
I won’t be going for one, so I hope you get a chance at one! A Sebenza is far superior in every single way, sorry. And that wire clip...maybe if it had a spoon clip I’d “think” about it.
What is a "spoon clip"?
The type used on the PM2, for instance. One of Spyderco's most commonly used clip designs.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

SSD_777 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:53 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
SpyderGrill wrote:

"just saying"

or

"that said"
What is a "spoon clip"?
Spydercos general clip, that’s on the swayback and all PM2s and multiple other models. Just a more durable and rigid clip in my opinion.
Josh
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

And just to say this, I’m not flaming the SB. It is a fantastic knife, but all the hype leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. In that price range their is so many great designs it’s not even funny.
Josh
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Chapp wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:09 pm
Titanium framelock + Taichung QC + Spyderco refinement + Slysz Golden Touch... and you have a winning formula. That alone makes the knife one of a kind.

In the end, you look at knife as practical tools, hence the praise for the Native Chief more practical design. I look at them as piece of art. If I want a practical tool, I take a 12€ Mora or a 30€ Rat-2 and I can disregard the rest of the hobby completely.
Fair enough. But I've heard a lot of complaints about the detent and lock stick on the Bowie, so I don't know if the "Taichung QC" point rings true. Maybe they've made some adjustments in this exclusive. Either way, those problems don't apply to a backlock, even if it is considered outdated by fidget-obsessed enthusiasts. It's simply a better design than a frame lock, unless you really want to be constantly flicking your knife open and closed.

So I guess my point is, if I'm spending that kind of money, I would expect something "beautiful", but I would also expect it to be more functional, ergonomic, or practical than a cheaper knife. The Slysz Bowie might look fancier, but it does not beat cheaper knives such as the Chief in any of the categories that matter for it as a knife.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Knifejoy posted a new IG vid earlier. Definitely the Slysz Bowie.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Spyderman91 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:44 pm
Boys... It's freaking happening. This is a day I thought I'd never see. I'm baffled but excited this is awesome!
... and girls...
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

captnvegtble wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:11 pm
Spyderman91 wrote:
Boys... It's freaking happening. This is a day I thought I'd never see. I'm baffled but excited this is awesome!
... and girls...
Incorrect! They do not exist.

Just a fallacy! A mere figment of your imagination.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I never had any lock stick or detent issues with my Slysz Bowie. Personally, it’s every bit as good as a CRK Sebenza.

Since the SB does not have a steel lock bar insert if any oil gets on the titanium lock face you'll get some lock stick. Best to clean it off with alcohol.

Of course, the SB could use a few improvements: steel lock bar insert and a 3D machined titanium clip.

Additionally, the SB has a blade length of 3.42" and for some 3.99" would be better and for others 2.99".
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Many times, possibly even most of the time, retailers who decline overseas credit cards do it because they have been defrauded numerous times. It’s done not lightly, I’m sure they would love to take your money, but after enough losses you have to stop.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Just rewatched a vid on YT about the original and after falling in love with my Spydiechef I'm so wanting one of these. I pray I'll be able to grab one but don't want to get my hopes up. This WILL be the biggest or in some peoples eyes the most hyped release of the year. Good luck to all who want one!
8LegLover

Post by 8LegLover »

wait, it's going to have a wire clip? Why?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

After second thought, I think I'm out on this one. I'd rather spend that money on multiple spydies than just 1. Good luck to all
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I owned a Slysz bowie briefly before they were scarce. It didn't excite me and I sold it. I would never have guessed that this model would become so desirable after being discontinued.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

eRoc wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:59 pm
Wait did they do another run on the blue ano spydiechef? I thought it was a limited 600 piece run and thought I missed it.
Yes, they restocked it.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:20 pm
captnvegtble wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:11 pm
Spyderman91 wrote:
... and girls...
Incorrect! They do not exist.

Just a fallacy! A mere figment of your imagination.
🤔😉
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Cscottsss wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:59 am
Good luck grabbing one, this will break the internet. lol
Knifejoy would be insane to limit this to one run. Spyderco might as well print money for them. And if their past exclusives are any indication, they'll order more runs of good sellers. They just re-upped their Spydiechef, for example. I guess it's possible that Spyderco has put a limit on it, but I sure hope not.
- Julia

amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

nerdlock wrote:
TenGrainBread wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:40 am
Unfortunate that it will be harder to get for international people, but to say it's discrimination that KnifeJoy won't ship overseas is silly. Is it also discrimination when a brick-and-mortar knife store doesn't have an online shop? Or doesn't carry a certain brand? Honestly, the entitlement is baffling.

Except that this one isn't a plain brick and mortar store, but an established knife dealer with a good online presence in Facebook and Instagram (35k-plus fans), clearly supported by knife collecting "influencers" who have taken to calling this one the "goat" and again, rabidly creating hype in legions of newbieish knife collectors who are in this not because they truly appreciate Spydercos for their practical use but rather are looking for the next collectible hobby in order to impress people online with what they have.

If a store doesn't have an online presence or carry a brand, it's a business choice.

The issue is not wether this company will ship overseas or not. There are many dealers like BBS and SMKW who don't ship overseas, and we're fine with that. We're able to use freight forwarding services to bypass that restriction and it has worked well for many years for most of us. The issue is this company doesn't allow international credit cards to be used with them, which is oddly puzzling considering other smaller dealers like Cutleryshoppe have no problem in this area. Isn't the concept of VISA and Mastercard precisely made so that anywhere in the world, you can purchase anything that is allowable to be purchased by these financial companies?

I'd like to agree with you regarding "entitlement" and take back my words, but when this company has allowed me to buy a slow-selling Spyderco dealer exclusive (blue Para 3 LW) but quickly do a 180 degree turn and flat out refuse to sell me their next exclusive (Para 3 green) - how is that not discrimination? Am I still being the entitled one in this scenario?

The situation is quite morbidly hilarious considering the Bowie is made here in Asia but internationals aren't given any means of directly purchasing it.

100%. If Knifeworks, DLT Trading, Knife Center, Cuttleryshoppe and others can take international orders no problem then I really can't see why others choose not to. It is a blow to international collectors to have a door slammed shut in their face.

I am not interested in this exclusive, even if it was possible to buy it, but I fully understand why international collectors (or users) might be a bit angry that they can't.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I don’t get why this would be made as an exclusive. I’m seeing lots of frustration here from international customers and I guess I’m one of them. As a sprint or regular production Spyderco fans from all over the world can participate.

Sounds like it will be challenging for me to acquire one these.
More so than my American friends who already have their work cut out for them.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
brancron

Post by brancron »

Is it safe to say that the Slysz Bowie has caused more tear-filled laments, more bitter recriminations, more morbid salivations, and more bank overdrafts than any previous Spyderco model?